U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2007, 05:06 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,662,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtransplant View Post
I can't believe how many villagers like you are out there!
We just came from Charlotte from visit and loved it ! You want to see drugs,overcrowding, traffic and dirt? Why don't you come to my ex-city of Los Angeles, stop by in traffic hellish Houston (where we are staying for now), and then compare to nice Charlotte?
Obviously, the change from your rural Midwest village to a city like Charlotte was too much for you, or simply to meet people of other nationalities is too much?. So, go ahead and form your own Taliban little village in S.C and read the Bible twice !

"meet people of other nationalities is too much?"

"form your own Taliban village and read your Bible twice."

You sound so open-minded!

Someone has a different opinion about the area than you, so what? Obviously you have found your utopia in Charlotte, good.

The influx of illegals is not only affecting Cailfornia, but NC as well. The crime and gangs are here.

We have overcrowded roads and schools. FACT.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:08 PM

225 posts, read 764,711 times
BronxMomNY,

Please accept my sincere apology for confusing you with the replantedinsc. It was difficult to separate the and follow the responses. I truly apologize for the mistake.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:13 PM
NDL

3,156 posts, read 3,625,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxMomNY View Post
Those instances of leaving your door locked or keys left on a door overnight are not common, they are done by accident. Frankly I don't know anyone that will purposely do that. People have to be careful of the things they do and places they go, even in Staten Island. Times have changed. I do agree that neighborhoods are stronger when its residents take charge of where they live, but that doesn't mean that common sense is out the door.
Agreed, and the points you make are sound and logical. Even so, the main focus of my post is this: If you live in most parts of Staten Island, the chances of something happening are quite rare. Can things happen? Yes. But it's rare. More likely than not, if you are affected by crime on Staten Island, you might be the victim of 'quality-of-life' issues (e.g. public urination on your lawn, by a drunken teen).

Same on the North Shore of Long Island. Does crime occur? Yes. But the odds are that you won't be victim, even if you're having an off day, and forget to leave an item on the seat of your car, or front door unlocked.

What's troubling to me, is the types of crimes being explored on this thread. Charlotte's population is a little over 611,000 people - about the size of Staten Island, or half the size of Nassau or Suffolk Counties. But unlike the undesirable areas of the above counties', one poster wrote that the undesirable areas within Charlotte can 'go on for miles.'

All of this makes me wonder if areas outside of Charlotte, like Matthews, are affected by crime.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:18 PM
NDL

3,156 posts, read 3,625,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
"meet people of other nationalities is too much?"

"form your own Taliban village and read your Bible twice."

You sound so open-minded!

Someone has a different opinion about the area than you, so what? Obviously you have found your utopia in Charlotte, good.

The influx of illegals is not only affecting Cailfornia, but NC as well. The crime and gangs are here.

We have overcrowded roads and schools. FACT.
Actually, (although not wanting to get involved), I must confess my interest; specifically the comment of: "form your own Taliban village, and read your Bible twice."

For while I don't agree with the tone of replantedinsc's post, and disagree with some of said post's content, I am a little confused as to what the Bible has to do with all of this .

Old 01-17-2007, 05:19 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,662,994 times
You can almost tell the areas that have high crime. The pricier the place, the less crime. Sorry, but look for areas that lack the spanish signs.

I just wouldnt live in Charlotte. Id rather live in the suburbs. Charlotte has several nice places to live, but you might have to pay more.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:28 PM

93 posts, read 568,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Agreed, and the points you make are sound and logical. Even so, the main focus of my post is this: If you live in most parts of Staten Island, the chances of something happening are quite rare. Can things happen? Yes. But it's rare. More likely than not, if you are affected by crime on Staten Island, you might be the victim of 'quality-of-life' issues (e.g. public urination on your lawn, by a drunken teen).

Same on the North Shore of Long Island. Does crime occur? Yes. But the odds are that you won't be victim, even if you're having an off day, and forget to leave an item on the seat of your car, or front door unlocked.

What's troubling to me, is the types of crimes being explored on this thread. Charlotte's population is a little over 611,000 people - about the size of Staten Island, or half the size of Nassau or Suffolk Counties. But unlike the undesirable areas of the above counties', one poster wrote that the undesirable areas within Charlotte can 'go on for miles.'

All of this makes me wonder if areas outside of Charlotte, like Matthews, are affected by crime.
I do agree with you that crime is less likely in areas like Staten Island, but I wouldn't categorize them as rare. LI has seen an increase in robberies and home invasions in the last few years. People are going to give you their opininons on crime, etc. based on their exp. You've had a great experince in Staten Island, but I could tell you of many folks that live in SI who are not as confident as you are. Anyway, I have heard far too many good things about Charlotte and surrounding areas to deter me from moving South, however I will be careful and alert regardless of where I live. I don't know enough about Matthews, but perhaps crime will increase in these areas as predators find new areas to infest.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:32 PM

93 posts, read 568,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warden View Post
BronxMomNY,

Please accept my sincere apology for confusing you with the replantedinsc. It was difficult to separate the and follow the responses. I truly apologize for the mistake.
Hey Warden,

That's cool, I was just hoping someone caught the mistake before it got any worse!

Old 01-17-2007, 05:51 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,769,590 times
well being from brooklyn all my life and living in staten island having family there there is crime, my brother in laws aunt right next door to her, her house was robbed 3 months ago while they were at work in broad daylight, another one of our friends was mugged at the SI mall, Ive been hit 2x..LOL with my car but that is another story, However I do know where your coming from and over all YES there is less crime there than im sure in Charlotte, but remember SI everyone is TIGHT and alot of things arent reported...Ive only been in jersey 8 yrs and moving to Union County NC

Old 01-18-2007, 10:40 AM

570 posts, read 542,543 times
I'm kind of amused reading some of these comments about crime in Charlotte versus other places. It seems people want to believe their hometowns are somehow immune to crime and all the crime happens in Charlotte. Well this link shows a good comparison of crime statistic in major U.S. cities:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004902.html

As you can see, Charlotte fits somewhere in the middle of it all in terms of overall crime. But this list also breaks things down by TYPE of crime. If you isolate murder rate, Charlotte appears to be one of the safer cities (the murder rate in Philadelphia, for example is about two and 1/2 times that of Charlotte. Atlanta's murder rate is more than tripple that of Charlotte. Washington, DC's rate is more than quadruple. Minneapolis is about 50% higher. Seattle, on the other hand, is just over half the rate of Charlotte. El Paso is about a third. So no, Charlotte is not the safest city. But it's nowhere near being one of the more dangerous.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:40 PM

221 posts, read 673,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesuptown View Post
I love Charlotte - but my only real gripe is the crime. I lived in Westport CT before I lived here -- where the biggest crime was a teenager stealing gum from the Bridge Market.

I have had two brand new BMW's that had windows smashed out multiple times in the first THREE MONTHS I lived here -- had everything jacked up in those cars, had a laptop stolen out of one on one of the occasions, and at travel bag stolen the other time ... plus thousands in damage to the cars.

AND, since these kinds of crime are so prevalent here, I called 911, and they TRANSFERRED ME to 311 ! Can you imagine the anger I felt calling the police and getting transferred?!? Then the folks at 311 directed me to a website to file an online police report. Aside from high crime, the police are chronically underfunded, and no one ever came out to my place in either instance. Additionally, in the first year I lived uptown, count this: 17 of my neighbors had their cars stolen. SEVENTEEN. My condo only has 100 units in it! It has happened so regularly that the CMPD police came one night to my bldg and spent three hours here, going door-to-door and handing out (for free) The Club to all of the residents in my condo!! That was a nice gesture, but doesn't solve the endemic issue: even worse than chronic police underfunding is the terrible underfunding by the state of the prosecutor's offices. They are about two dozen DA's below what they need -- so repeat offenders are let right back out.

On top of all of this, I have been mugged once with my girlfriend -- AND I am well over six feet tall and in the 260s, doesnt matter when it is four homeless dudes.... vs you and your gf. One of my neighbors was held up at gunpoint (and unfortunately, she was a 22 year old girl, I don't think she ever recovered, and moved out of town after that).

Additionally, in the several years I have lived uptown, I have witnessed one individual who was shot pass away, most unfortunately, on the exit ramp of I-277. It happened, quite literally, right outside my window. One week later, there were more than ten units for sale in my building.

Honestly, at this point I am totally numb to these kinds of things ... it has definitely changed me ... is it for the better? I don't know. But I am much more careful. A lot of my friends have concealed weapons permits to carry tasers... and we have definitely changed our habits and behaviors, i.e., ALWAYS go out in groups at night ... and if I, for instance, feel tired and want to leave the bar we're at before my friends do --- I'll ALWAYS take a cab, and pay the 3 or 4 bucks for the ride home versus potentially getting mugged on the way back ....
Wow where in Charlotte do you live? It sounds like NY city/harlem/roosevelt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or