U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:34 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,988,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Many people from N of the Mason Dixon line come here and sniff about various things . . . are condescending . . . and so the feeling is . . . we were doing just fine here w/o you . . . if you don't like it . . . don't come or go back home.

Here are the typical comments, wh/ are extremely insulting to those of us who have lived here (and enjoyed our life here) for several hundred years:

I sure hope my child doesn't start talking like you guys. (or worse - Youse guys, Hee Hee).

The schools here are so backward. We had blue ribbons schools in XX.

Trailers! OMG!!! I am surrounded by rednecks and hillbillies!!! You people are soooo tacky here! Haven't you people ever heard of zoning?

OMG!! I have never actually seen a real hick before! I don't want my children exposed to people like that.

What's the problem here? There is no decent food here!!!

Hurry up, will you. I am not interested in standing in line while you yack with the check out clerk!

You people drive like old ladies! Everyone here is so ingrown! Haven't you people ever been outside Mecklenburg County?

What's wrong with people here? No one can ever do anything on time! Where I'm from, people get off their duffs and get busy. Southerners are lazy.

What's up with the accent? The rest of the world knows how to talk! You people sound like bumpkins!

I want diversity! Why is there no diversity here! You people are racists!

Where is the xx community? (Hispanic, Puerto Rican, Italian, Polish, etc). I guess the South is not welcoming to anyone who wasn't born here.

How about those comments for starters. If you wanna hear more, I will be glad to keep writing.
lol, thanks for the laugh.

Reminds me of meeting the folks that moved in next door to one of my rental properties... My tenants had just moved out but I wasn't worried because the two-bedroom yellow bungalow is a crowd pleaser and always rents quickly to high-quality tenants... everyone just loves that house. It's under two beautiful old red oaks and the front is well-landscaped with the oh-so-southern classic of azaleas, camelias and hydrangeas, all antique.

I had been at the house all day getting the inside cleaned up and ready to show when I noticed the new neighbors standing in the front yard talking. They had been remodeling for months, but I hadn't had the chance to meet them so I thought I'd saunter over, introduce myself and see if I couldn't strike up a little conversation. I was curious to see how they'd changed the place and I'll admit now that I was hoping to get invited inside for a little tour!

So I washed up a bit and headed over. Before I could say anything to any of them the mother sees me coming across the yard and pipes up with a big smile and introduces herself and her family and asks if this was my house (pointing at my beloved bungalow). When I answered in the affirmative, and before I could even offer my name she blurted out "Good! I was hoping to meet the owner of this ugly house"! I was slightly taken aback but thought she may be just yanking my chain and replied, "Pardon"? To which she replied, "Yeah, I have to look at this ugly yellow house every time I come outside... you HAVE to paint this house"!

Turns out they were from New York. Evidently they had a hard time meeting folks and moved back after a year. Hard to believe, huh?

The house is still yellow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 08:55 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
lol, thanks for the laugh.

Reminds me of meeting the folks that moved in next door to one of my rental properties... My tenants had just moved out but I wasn't worried because the two-bedroom yellow bungalow is a crowd pleaser and always rents quickly to high-quality tenants... everyone just loves that house. It's under two beautiful old red oaks and the front is well-landscaped with the oh-so-southern classic of azaleas, camelias and hydrangeas, all antique.

I had been at the house all day getting the inside cleaned up and ready to show when I noticed the new neighbors standing in the front yard talking. They had been remodeling for months, but I hadn't had the chance to meet them so I thought I'd saunter over, introduce myself and see if I couldn't strike up a little conversation. I was curious to see how they'd changed the place and I'll admit now that I was hoping to get invited inside for a little tour!

So I washed up a bit and headed over. Before I could say anything to any of them the mother sees me coming across the yard and pipes up with a big smile and introduces herself and her family and asks if this was my house (pointing at my beloved bungalow). When I answered in the affirmative, and before I could even offer my name she blurted out "Good! I was hoping to meet the owner of this ugly house"! I was slightly taken aback but thought she may be just yanking my chain and replied, "Pardon"? To which she replied, "Yeah, I have to look at this ugly yellow house every time I come outside... you HAVE to paint this house"!

Turns out they were from New York. Evidently they had a hard time meeting folks and moved back after a year. Hard to believe, huh?

The house is still yellow...
PRICELESS!!!! Absolutely priceless . . .

I am sure your bungalow is a gem . . . and I love yellow houses . . .

Old 12-18-2008, 07:35 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,782,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxRico View Post
Thanks Rosie. We really do love it here so far. I still have to spend every other week in NY because of work, but always look forward to coming back "home". It's funny you metion Yankee games, because it is the only negative to our move south. My company has season tickets and upgraded them for the new stadium. I always had first choice to what games I wanted.... it was really really really tough giving that up!!!! I lived near Fordham so I would take the Subway to games....

Have you found any good bagel shops?
Rico, who says you have to give them up??!!?? You can still go to a couple of games every season, especially if you have 1st choice for season tkts! I spent 7 seasons at the Stadium running a souvenir stand (non-profit, DS's school got the $$). We used to have the trailer by gate 4, then we had the stand at the roll-up gate (old loading dock) by gate 2. DH was on the PD detail there for several years. If you want to catch the games on TV, go with Directv.

Bagels...I was going to say the shop across the street from Bklyn Boys Pizza in Morrison Plantation, but they're closer for renovation & who knows how it'll be after they reopen.

BxRosie

Old 12-18-2008, 08:18 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,782,792 times
[quote=anifani821;6325758]...
What's the problem here? There is no decent food here!!!...
Where is the xx community? (Hispanic, Puerto Rican, Italian, Polish, etc). I guess the South is not welcoming to anyone who wasn't born here...

QUOTE]

OK Ani...gotta answer this one.

NYC is the Melting Pot of the World. We welcome all people from all lands & walks of life. NYC is the starting point for many immigrants to America. What makes NYC unique is that we have many neighborhoods based on ethnic origin. As a kid in the Bronx, my neighborhood was mostly German/Polish. I went to a Polish grammar school. Up until I was in the 3rd grade, the nuns taught us to speak Polish. When my family came to America in 1904, they settled in the then Italian neighborhood on Morris Ave. & 150th St. Funny story...my grandfather had a bakery there that my DH's grandmother would go to. She'd walk there from the Irish neighborhood on 138th St. just to buy bread. We verified this from Nana's description of the bakery owner & a photo I showed her of my grandfather. Small world.
If you wanted bagels, rye bread, bialys or a good pastrami sandwich, you went to one of the Jewish neighborhoods. Let's not forget Chinatown in Manhattan & the eastside in the 20's was always "Little India", "Little Odessa" in Bklyn is the Russian neighborhood, the north Bronx has a Caribbean/Jamaican neighborhood & Woodlawn is all Irish, just to name a few. Now in NY, you can probably find at least one neighborhood for every country/ethnic group in the world. Each has it's own flavor...bakeries, deli's...clothing....restaurants...music shops...etc...Everyone knows that if you're looking for a specific ethnic good, you go to that neighborhood. When I lived in Carmel, we had people there that would travel 50 miles to the Bronx just to by Italian bread & the "good cheese" or real bakery cakes. That's why alot of transplants will ask "where's the XYZ neighborhood".

The only real snub I got when I 1st moved to NC was when I was asked if "I had found a place to worship yet". When I said yes & gave them the name of the Catholic church in Mooresville, this person looked me right in the eye & said, "Oh, your one of THEM. We don't have too many of your kind down here." Bless their heart.

BxRosie

Old 12-18-2008, 10:24 AM

6 posts, read 10,980 times
I guess I will miss the fresh bread, mozzarella and Italian pastries on Arthur Avenue. The bodegas with all of those Dominican goodies. I guess that is the one thing that most non-New Yorkers dont get....

I think that may be one of the reasons for the great culture clash between New York Metro and the South. I figure until about maybe 15-20 years ago everyone in the south was either White Anglo Protestant or African American Protestant and anything else was viewed as "odd". There was a certain familiarity even amongst "strangers".

Up North you grow up around Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists etc.. You were pretty much familiar with the different Holidays, Customs, Foods etc..

I am not saying any way is better... but just different...

Its funny you mention the "place to worship " snub!!! I was asked the same question and when I said "right now a place to worship is not on the top my list" she stepped back in horror as if lighting was about to strike me!! She actually asked if we were COMMUNIST!!!!!! I thought I was in a twilight zone episode...

But again I do really really love it here, maybe I can convince my old baker from Arthur avenue to open up shop down here!!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:30 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Well, I have tried to explain this on other threads, so won't spend a lot of time w/ it on this one . . .

Southerners are fully aware that life is different in cities. We are fully aware there are ethnic communities and large bakeries and food that is not common here. We are also fully aware we have an accent. And we are fully aware that there are many religions out there. We had Catholic "circuit rider" Priests serving parishes in the late 18th C.

What Southerners get aggravated about and indeed - find insulting - is the "in your face" loud, rude, abrasive way that newcomers express their frustration over things such as not having the food they like here, not wanting their kids to pick up a Southern accent, etc . . . and couple that w/ our incredulity that people come here and COMPLAIN about things that either they should already know about (no ethnic neighborhoods) or they should have researched b/f they decided to move here.

To us, for someone to move here and then complain about "how things are here" is not only insulting, it is ignorant. Plus, these things are usually said with an ATTITUDE - very condescending in manner. "Well, we had blue ribbon schools in XX!" The Southerner's reaction is - then move the hell back there.

It is not that Southerners are not used to different religions, ethnic neighborhooods, etc - it is that Southerners didn't send an engraved invitation asking people to move here and complain b/c life here is different, in many ways, than life in NYC, LI etc. We don't wanna hear it!!! So you can't find xxx here. We have been doing w/o xxx for hundreds of years - if you can't do w/o xxx - go home!

Now I am NOT expressing my own feelings here. I am telling you how the majority of Southerners react to complaints, especially when they are delivered w/ a sanctimonious or condescending attitutde. PLUS - Southerners find it very very insulting that newcomers assume that since we dont have xxx here, we must be unsophisticated and need to be educated about "how the rest of the world works/lives, etc" Many people have remained in the South b/c they PREFER life here! In fact, most have remained here b/c of that exact reason. Doesn't mean they haven't traveled; doesn't mean they are not sophisticated; just means they prefer life as it is here.

For me - I have plenty of my own complaints. I like seeing change and expanding my world. But I am telling you how MOST Southerners feel and why they are so put off by newcomers who arrive here and then start complaining and putting down "life in the South."

Old 12-18-2008, 11:39 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,641,576 times
:give Ani a standing ovation:

You hit the nail on the head! As always, well said!

Old 12-18-2008, 02:51 PM

I have said plenty of times that I love it here in the South. I only wished I could get a good bagel every morning!! I think that yes there a some condescending, arrogant, annoying people that have moved from the North to the South and complained about everything... but those same people complained about everything up North too.. They are rude and annoying because of their personalities, not particulary because they are Yanks!!

There are some things that were big parts of life up North that we miss down here. And yes we knew that before we moved here, but it is still ok to express nostalgia. I am sure when life long Southerners have to move up North, there are somethings they desperately miss, but that's life.

We do not believe Southerners live in the South because they do not have a choice to live elsewhere. The South is a wonderful place to live, a lot of Northerners have also chosen to make a life here. We are not all rude, not all foul mouthed etc..

While some of the older local folks may disagree, the world is getting smaller. Change is coming. You might as well embrace it. There is something positive to be found in having more diversity. There are more of us coming....a lot more of us coming.... Some nice, some ignorant, some educated, some rude, some polite, some gay, some straight, some christian, some muslim, some Asian and some Latinos... all looking for a better place to raise their children and enjoy life.... like said before you might as well embrace the change

Old 12-18-2008, 02:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxRico View Post
I have said plenty of times that I love it here in the South. I only wished I could get a good bagel every morning!! I think that yes there a some condescending, arrogant, annoying people that have moved from the North to the South and complained about everything... but those same people complained about everything up North too.. They are rude and annoying because of their personalities, not particulary because they are Yanks!!

There are some things that were big parts of life up North that we miss down here. And yes we knew that before we moved here, but it is still ok to express nostalgia. I am sure when life long Southerners have to move up North, there are somethings they desperately miss, but that's life.

We do not believe Southerners live in the South because they do not have a choice to live elsewhere. The South is a wonderful place to live, a lot of Northerners have also chosen to make a life here. We are not all rude, not all foul mouthed etc..

While some of the older local folks may disagree, the world is getting smaller. Change is coming. You might as well embrace it. There is something positive to be found in having more diversity. There are more of us coming....a lot more of us coming.... Some nice, some ignorant, some educated, some rude, some polite, some gay, some straight, some christian, some muslim, some Asian and some Latinos... all looking for a better place to raise their children and enjoy life.... like said before you might as well embrace the change
We stay in the south because it is nice here and very relaxing and are not refugees like transplants as yourself from the state you came from.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:24 PM

"We stay in the south because it is nice here and very relaxing and are not refugees like transplants as yourself from the state you came from."

really....... refugees......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or