U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:03 AM

64 posts, read 258,527 times

Advertisements

It all sounds lovely today, but does anyone know what is predicted for Charlotte - how many more thousand people may move there? What will taxes do? Is this a second Florida, and if so, how will this mass influx of people shape the region's personality? What kind of "identity" does it have anymore? Will the farm land around the city be disappearing shortly? I'm also from up north, although moved upstate from Long Island years ago to get out of the traffic and crowds - is this the future of Charlotte - loads of money, traffic and fast-paced living? I haven't visited yet - maybe it is already a mini NJ/NY? What do the original folks feel about all this change? We'd hate to move there and wake up in 5 years and think, is this what we wanted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 06:23 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,187,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meandb View Post
It all sounds lovely today, but does anyone know what is predicted for Charlotte - how many more thousand people may move there? What will taxes do? Is this a second Florida, and if so, how will this mass influx of people shape the region's personality? What kind of "identity" does it have anymore? Will the farm land around the city be disappearing shortly?
Speaking as an "old" transplant, we found that Charlotte had largely lost any personality by the time we were moved to the area almost 20 years ago. Even back then, the few Charlotte natives we met were joking that they'd soon be extinct.

As far as the farm land "disappearing shortly"? It's largely gone. The northern boundary of Charlotte used to terminate roughly in the University area - which was quite sparse, itself. In the area where Harris Blvd and I-85 met, there was very little, just those small University shops around the lake. No big shopping area, no Wachovia Campus (which was initially First Union before the "merger of equals" nonsense happened). All the big businesses were mostly confined in the area called Research Park, bounded by Harris and Mallard Creek/Church roads: EDS, First Data, IBM .... Over in the college area, there was the school, apartments for the students, and that's about it. Heading north on I-85 or highway 29 (which was 4 lanes even up around the Speedway) was open land with a smattering of businesses; car body shops and such. You didn't see anything else until you got to the RJ Reynolds plant and reached Concord. It was much the same on highway 49 (which was 2 lanes).

The south part of Charlotte pretty much ended at Matthews. Monroe, Waxhaw - all the places where development is springing up - that was country; just not a heck of a lot there. The east side was beginning to show some wear, but Eastland Mall used to be THE place to go shopping.

Will Charlotte become like Florida? *shrug* Most likely, yeah. There are no concrete plans to organize or have the development make any sense. Every year - every year - the subject comes up. There are editorials in the newspapers, "experts" who pontificate on the issue, letters to the editor complaining about the increasingly bad traffic and sprawl, people who demand that "somebody" needs to do "something", and the unheeded growth continues. And taxes? Well, there's the land transfer tax currently under consideration. A 1% fee on property sold in Mecklenburg County will help fund road improvements.

Unless we have an extreme economic downturn or initiatives are passed that makes development more difficult, people will continue to move here. As we've viewed the growth the last couple of decades, it seems that NC has been in one of its dramatic upswings in growth these last few years. There have been down times as well. Back in the early 90s, for example, the area hit kind of a slump. With the housing market cooling off in other parts of the country, making it harder to sell up and buy here, maybe we'll have a breather and let the current transplants get settled before the next batch "discovers" the area

Old 12-21-2006, 06:35 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,118,019 times
Excellent Post. Other than Eastland mall we used to track out to Freedom Mall too. WOW how things change in such a short period.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:45 AM

232 posts, read 1,600,774 times
I've spent much time in Charlotte and currently live in Atlanta. Years ago, when I began travelling throughout the southeast, I used to keep up with many of the developments in Charlotte. When reading many of the Charlotte news and business publications, there almost always seemed to be some sort or reference to Atlanta. It seemed as though the goal was to compete with and ultimately become another Atlanta. The "Big Peach", I feel is sort of like that great big present under the tree for Christmas that you just can't wait to get into. When the big day finally comes, it turns out to be a big bunch of socks or plain colored t-shirts. It seems all nice, vibrant, new, and busy.... but once you get here and have been here for a while, you begin to wonder what was ever done to curb, direct, or limit growth and the answer is nothing. Unfortunately, if Charlotte doesn't change their planning, it may very well turn out to be another Atlanta and not have much of an identity. Perhaps it is already too late.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:23 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,171,943 times
Great posts! But doesn't it ultimately come down to people voting for politicians that have some kind of plan to curb the sprawl? Or are all the elected officials in NC in bed with the developers, like here in NJ?

Old 12-21-2006, 07:43 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,118,019 times
Stmaarten,

I would say they are all in bed with the developers at least up here by the lake. Lets talk about Cornelius for instance. The Knox family for has one member who happens to be the mayor of Cornelius, whose brothers are well known Lawyers another one who has had his own Real Estate company for years. Then there is the Gandy's who for the longest have been in the automobile industry have now ventured into the Real Estate market.

I guess money stays with money.... I hope since they are natives they are trying to keep the best interest of the town at heart. Time will tell.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:45 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,229,486 times
The Gandy's...

Think they do enough radio ad's about their communities, sheesh?!!

Old 12-22-2006, 06:44 AM

64 posts, read 258,527 times
Ok - let me see if I'm clear on this - no one is doing anything to make sense of the sprawl? As in, let's build 10,000 homes and then gee, what should we do with the cars and students...and that all over... And what is the mayor thinking - are folks who benefit from all this growth just getting greedy?

I'm under the impression things have already changed dramatically - and yet what I read is that it's a real nice place to live - OR? If someone moved up near say, Concord, would that be yet a slower paced life? And that slower pace might disappear in 10 years?

Can anyone tell me if there are different property tax rates by county, and if so, what they are? I'd be courious to know what a wonderful $200K home might cost in taxes in years to come if things really explode in value.

Thanks for the responses, and gee, sorry to hear about the sprawl... I promise, I won't build.

Old 12-23-2006, 05:41 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,187,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
The Gandy's...

Think they do enough radio ad's about their communities, sheesh?!!
If those commercials are as inane as their car spots were, it would definitely be a turnoff for me to move there.

"Bobby Gaaaandy" *shudder*

Old 12-14-2007, 07:26 PM

13 posts, read 30,201 times
Default bobby g

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
If those commercials are as inane as their car spots were, it would definitely be a turnoff for me to move there.

"Bobby Gaaaandy" *shudder*
Inane or not , they succeeded mightily in the car business. (600% of their sales goals with Chrysler, #1 in the S.E. US ). At least they did not resort to using dogs or little kids to advertize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or