U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 05:28 PM

199 posts, read 885,059 times

Advertisements

This will be my first garden in North Carolina. How did these veggies grow for you in previous years?

- Tomatoes
- Onions
- Potatoes
- Lettuce
- Red peppers
- Corn
- Watermelons
- Parsley
- Garlic

Thanks,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 07:05 PM

25 posts, read 119,339 times
I have only done tomatoes, peppers and parsley (and other herbs). If your area is heavily red clay, you need to till the area well and stir in a WHOLE LOT of manure, compost or some sort of soil conditioner. You want to cut the clay as much as possible, several inches down, to make it more drainable. I use a time-release granular food mixed in the soil as well, such as Osmocote, and it works well for me as directed on the container. Mulch after you plant to hold moisture and hold off weeds (riiiight...lol)

My tomato and pepper bushes were huge, they grew too tall to fit in the cages anymore. The problem you will run into is irrigation, after you get everything established. You HAVE to water, sometimes twice a day, once the summer cranks up good. The herbs do well and get very big, as long as you start them and maintain them all summer. The veggies, my big problem was, I got busy as the summer progressed, and didn't get to water them like I should have. I didn't get as much crop as I would have liked, but I think it was my own fault.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:05 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,406,240 times
We have a big rosemary bush in our backyard. My wife is also planting a variety of veggies including corn!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:15 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,620,353 times
I'm putting my transplants outside for good this weekend. Got to harden them up.

I really think we had our last good shot of cold air this week. Temps at night shouldn't bottom out lower than the upper 40's from now on (normal lows are in the 50's).

Old 04-18-2008, 08:24 AM

5 posts, read 15,614 times
Our tomatoes and peppers do well here in the summer. We also have squash and zucchini and it goes crazy! I love having fresh veggies in the summer - you will enjoy gardening here. I'm so glad my husband has a green thumb - I wish I did.

I did do an herb pot with parsley and cilantro last year and it did pretty well. For herbs, I generally use my Aero-Garden - it's black thumb proof and a great purchase!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:56 PM

23 posts, read 57,684 times
I have a friend in Weddington who is looking for compost. Any recommendations?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:30 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,099 times
Default Yummy!

My spinach and radishes are up in the raised bed, and herbs wintered quite well.

Have already sown beets, purple carrots, swiss chard, and brussel sprouts (sowed those in mid- to late Feb). Going to sow mesclun in containers tomorrow.

The hard red clay we have is a back breaker! It is very fertile, but almost impenetrable and does not drain well. Have someone till it deeply and add tons of organic material. Or do raised beds and containers.

Have fun!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:09 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,406,240 times
We had great luck with tomatoes, corn & lettuce last year. We also got one watermelon, but my wife said it was inedible. Hopefully we'll have better luck this year.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 PM

21,793 posts, read 27,049,080 times
This will be my first garden here. With everything that I have to do, I'm not going to double-dig the compost in, just dig it in or get a tiller, besides, I'm moving the garden in the fall anyway.

I've been gardening in clay all of my adult life, so I'll just get some bags of compost from Lowes & prep the ground.....

Old 03-09-2009, 11:24 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,783,127 times
The one thing I had to learn when I decided to have what my fil called a sheet sized garden was to put some dirt between the seed and the plant food. I burned the seeds up the first time I planted. I grew up on a farm in the mountains of North Carolina and the dirt was a lot richer and not so much clay. Composting is good, but if you put a little distance between the seed and the food you will be all right anyway. I had neighbors that put sand in with the clay to separate it. I used compost. Charlotte clay makes better bricks than it does gardens. LOL

BTW--Sam's in Matthews had a very reasonable compost bin. I bought one last year and should have some for use this spring. This is a new experience for me.

Another hint: If you plant corn and vine type green beans together, you don't have to stake the beans. They will run up the corn stalks. My mother taught me that years ago.

When I was in Charlotte the cucumbers did the best, and the tomatoes were all right. I didn't have much success with pepper but that was probably just me. I don't really have a green thumb. It was amazing how much came out of that little "sheet size" garden. The green beans did good too, but for the smaller size garden you do need to use the vine kind of green beans. There was just not enough space for the lower kind.

Lettuce and radishes did well too, but the lettuce was very time consuming because it was the leaf kind. You need to plant that early. Now is the time to plant lettuce, onions and green peas. My neighbor says to wait until after Good Friday for other things.

When we came to Union County I tried a bigger garden and found the bugs attacked potatoes but squash grew really well.

A natural debugger is to plant marigold flowers between each row. I have never done this but have read that it works.

Last edited by NCN; 03-09-2009 at 11:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte