U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:31 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,624,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Many people live in Ethiopia. Would you live there?

BTW, your feedback began with, "It is good...." You then went on to mention the age of the homes and the architecture. None of this mentioned the direction of the schools (McAlpine), the ragedy houses, and rentals.
sigh - it is a "good" neighborhood.

Not "great", not "do die for", not "fantastic", but good.

And yes, I would live there whereas I would not be so inclined to live in Ethiopia.

ANY neighborhood with Providence High School as its neighborhood high school is worth considering and in that sense a "good neighborhood", in my opinion. And I do think people who come here generally trust my opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
There are some newer, nicer areas within Raintree (Williamsburg for example) that are very nice although there are stinkers even there (tons of boogers). One house I pass there always has the garage door open and it's chock filled with toys and equipment. Stuff is all over the yard. Not sure how the HOA lets them get away with that.

But that entry road off of 51 has some really ratty houses. How about the ones with the milk can mailboxes? They're kind of mid-century wannabes. Like, you think you're going to ring the doorbell of a house and Mike and Carol Brady are going to open it. But it's really Alice and Sam the butcher shacking up in it.

And ever since Elon Park (or Ridge?) Elementary opened, the demographic at McAlpine changed quite a bit. I think most of it is zoned for JM Robinson Middle and Providence HS which are great though.
I like Williamsburg too. I'm thinking the HOA in there has gotten kind of lax though. I usually enter Raintree off of Providence, which is the nicer entrance for sure.

Love your Alice and Sam visual, lol!

If our OP doesn't need schools and can purchase in the $350 and up range he would probably like other neighborhoods more for sure.

Oh, and btw, I do believe part of Raintree is assigned to Olde Providence Elementary, not just McAlpine.

When folks have schools as their top priority, especially when they are looking to get into a neighborhood assigned to Providence High, Raintree is a good option with some affordable homes.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:50 PM

1,554 posts, read 2,932,394 times
Here's what we can agree on: it's a huuuuge neighborhood. So there's going to be good and bad. I just remembered I have friends who live there in the backend and their kids go to S. Charlotte Middle which is an awesome school. But I also just remembered that there are some really crappy-looking apartments in one area. I guess if it were important for you to feel good about saying "I live in Raintree", you'd have to take the downsides into consideration.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Here's what we can agree on: it's a huuuuge neighborhood. So there's going to be good and bad. I just remembered I have friends who live there in the backend and their kids go to S. Charlotte Middle which is an awesome school. But I also just remembered that there are some really crappy-looking apartments in one area. I guess if it were important for you to feel good about saying "I live in Raintree", you'd have to take the downsides into consideration.
Yep, agree with all that

Old 04-18-2012, 02:20 PM

I just remembered something else I don't like about Raintree; the logo! Horribly outdated. They need new signage, new art and new fonts. The entrances provide the first impression and you only get one chance to make a good one!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:25 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,317,429 times
As agreed, Raintree has some decent spots, definelity a lot of visible ratty sections. When thinking Providence please consider CMS rampart redistricting and school closings. Makes little sense to suggest a growing blighted area/subdivision without mentioning this - without giving the full picture. Providence today..maybe East or South Meck tomorrow. And whether you have children or not the school will effect your property value. Lower values equal lower quailty neighbors in a declining neighborhood. Think about it like this: aare there upward trends in Raintree? Are there better options in a suburban like city? Outer county options? Hmmmm

Old 04-18-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
As agreed, Raintree has some decent spots, definelity a lot of visible ratty sections. When thinking Providence please consider CMS rampart redistricting and school closings. Makes little since to mention a growing blighted area/subdivision without mentioning this. Providence today..maybe East or South Meck tomorrow. And whether you children or not the school will effect your property value.
Actually... this just does not happen. There is no "rampart redistricting" (whatever that is).

CMS only redistricts when new schools are built or old schools are closed. And the last new schools the system built were opened almost 2 years ago now, with no new ones planned in the future right now.

The neighborhoods that are assigned to East Meck have been the same for over 30 years. Ditto with Providence High - the neighborhood assignments have changed very little since it was built about 20 years ago, other than when Ardrey Kell opened about 5 years ago.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-18-2012 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: fixed the quoted post to function

Old 04-18-2012, 02:36 PM

I'm guessing he met "rampant redistricting". I think we have a few years of stability ahead of us with CMS having no plans to build new schools and no huge new neighborhoods on the horizon that might require CMS to recalibrate their student bodies. But no one has a crystal ball.

Raintree's ears must be burning!

Old 04-18-2012, 06:58 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,001,916 times
I own 3 houses in Raintree. In my opinion most of the houses there are high-maintenance. The construction isnt the best either. But it is about on par with construction in River Hills where I live. (River Hills is vastly over rated!)

Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,317,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
I own 3 houses in Raintree. In my opinion most of the houses there are high-maintenance. The construction isnt the best either. But it is about on par with construction in River Hills where I live. (River Hills is vastly over rated!)
Wow...you own three houses in Raintree? Rentals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte