U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 09:57 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,623,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
Probably because your yard was established before the drought. Ours and everyone else on my street had their sod laid just before the drought, didn't give much hope for it surviving. We have overseeded the heck out of it, done this and that, thrown more $$ down the drain but still there is only sooooo much that can be done with limited water, so in hindsight I wish they had given us burmuda sod as it would have had a better chance of surviving and dorment grass does not look bad if everyone has it.
If you remember from last year and look up the totals, Late April, May, & June had precipitation levels that were WAY below normal levels.

July had some decent temps and rain, but before and after, it was nearly impossible to grow fescue.

That was an aberration, not the norm. Still, people who are growing seed or sod must still be careful because its getting warmer quickly and evaperation levels are increasing every day.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 PM

876 posts, read 3,478,816 times
so did anyone figure out a cost per pallet? we were going to sod our front yard as well, seed the rear!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,623,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
so did anyone figure out a cost per pallet? we were going to sod our front yard as well, seed the rear!
You want to pay less?

Buy the sod yourself and talk to a couple of the mexican workers in your neighborhood to lay it down for a set price.

The builder most likely will fleece you in terms of price...

I'm being dead serious...

Old 04-17-2008, 10:10 PM

876 posts, read 3,478,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You want to pay less?

Buy the sod yourself and talk to a couple of the mexican workers in your neighborhood to lay it down for a set price.

The builder most likely will fleece you in terms of price...

I'm being dead serious...
um, what builder? We have owned our house for two years now?

No laborers in our neighborhood sir, just a bunch of big houses and a pretty lake, lol. I could lay the sod myself, just curious as to what the pallets cost.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:42 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,662,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Birds can eat a LOT of seed very quickly. Some folks spread straw to keep them out but then that looks messy, IMHO.
Birds don't go after the seed, they go after the straw!!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'm sure your realtor can negoiate this very well for you

ASK FOR THE SOD, it is so much better than seed. Starting a yard from seed is a lot of work! Your hubby is crazy, or just really loves yard work, to think going seed is okay!
Weeelllllll........each has advantages and disadvantages!

10 pallets of means you have about 5,000sqft of back yard. That's pretty expensive! I guess it doesn't really matter if the builder's paying for it, but will they?

Regardless of how you want to work it out, this is an option: get a few pallets to take care of your back yard that immediately extends from your home. That way, you have instant grass against the house to prevent tracking in mud into your new home. If you prepare the dirt and seed in the next week, you might be ok and get an established lawn for the rest of the yard before the heat comes in (as long as we keep getting rain).

To tell you the truth, I tore up my whole back yard a few weeks after we moved into our home in 2006 because it was as if the builder PLANTED crabgrass! I did exactly as I described to you and after about 6 months, you couldn't tell where I had seeded versus where I laid sod. And now? I actually think where I seeded grows thicker than where it was sodded.

Of course, I've switched over to Organic Plant Healthcare and my lawn is looking better than anyone else's in the neighborhood , but for your situation, it might not be a bad idea if you need to save money.

Check out Sod Grasses and Grass Seed - Zoysia, Bermuda, Centipede, St Augustine and Tall Fescue if you need to buy sod yourself and they also have the same form in seed. Also look into Organic Plant Healthcare for all of your lawn maintenance needs...I promise you won't be sorry!!!

By the way, I have Tall Fescue and it's BBEEEEEAAUUUUTTTTIIIIIFFFUUUULLLLLLL!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
While I don't have a cost for you I do have some advice if you want it. If I were you I wouldn't waste the money on sod if it is fescue. Reason is, it just simply doesn't hold up that well. We paid $3k last year to have the rear sodded and low and behold, with the drought, it all died. Needless to say our backyard now is pretty much a red clay pit. My husband did a lot of research and it turns out, burmuda grass is much more durable for our climate and only requires a third of the water to survive. We always had burmuda in TX and loved the grass. Also after the first seeding, every year burmuda grass sprouts and reseeds itself which is helpful. If you can find burmuda sod that would be a better option, or seed with a mixture of fescue and burmuda, eventually the burmuda grass will take over. Fescue grass does germinate within a week, so that is good for getting quick grass, but in the long run I would go for burmuda.
Fescue does great if you know what you're doing (please don't take that as an insult). I've done my research as well and while the drought wasn't fun, I have to say my dogs' urine did more damage than the drought. And now that I've gone organic, you wouldn't believe you were looking at fescue in this climate (based on what you have experience). All I can tell you is organic is the way to go and lose all the chemicals. Chemicals only suck the life out of your dirt and make matters worse for your lawn during a drought.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
What looks trashy in my neighborhood is all the dirt and knee high weeds in everyone's front yard where all the fescue has died. That looks way more trashy then dorment grass.
Don't you just hate that!!

But it has to do more with poor lawn maintenance than dead fescue because of a drought.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Those people are either lazy or cheap. They don't take care of their landscaping. Doesn't have anything to do w/bermuda or sod.

I have a beutiful green lawn that survived the drought fine.
Cheers to your fine, green lawn sir!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
I got 1 pallet from Super Sod in October 2006 for $205 delivered. I think it's around $160 if you pick it up. 1 pallet is 506 sqft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte