U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-18-2008, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,708,844 times
Reputation: 423

Advertisements

I live in 4th Ward....25 years ago or more...4th Ward was nothing but liquor houses & prostitution. I wasn't trying to make 1st Ward sound unsafe...I would just be aware of my surroundings in certain areas of 1st Ward.

I personally don't think that someone should be allowed to live in an apartment and pay maybe $300 a month when their neighbor next door in the exact same floor plan pays over $1,000 a month. It draws 2 different types of people. I not trying to be mean...but once again from an investment stand point...you don't want that!

Anywhere Uptown is a great investment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2008, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,708,844 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
I think 704 might have made First Ward sound unsafer than it is. Sure there are a few lower income places. There are drug infested apartments in SouthPark and Quail Hallow also.

Every place has problems. There is a large number of homeless and relatively high number of violent crime in Fourth Ward even though 4th ward is loaded with 750k homes.

If you are in one of the furman properties, i wouldn't be too concerned...especially if you are used to downtown living.
Is that big housing project still behind Burger King in SouthPark (at the corner of Sharon Rd & Fairview Rd)?

Exchange Place....da hood! I thought they were gonna get rid of that. Lots of problems in that complex!

What are you talking about crime in 4th Ward...when was the last time you saw any type of crime Uptown on the news.? Sorry but tha tis NOT true!

Uptown is THE safest part of Charlotte. We have Police on foot, bikes and in cars patrolling...no other part of Charlotte has that. Plus there are also 2 Police sub-stations Uptown in addition to the Main Police headquarters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2008, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Reputation: 39846
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Is that big housing project still behind Burger King in SouthPark (at the corner of Sharon Rd & Fairview Rd)?

Exchange Place....da hood! I thought they were gonna get rid of that. Lots of problems in that complex!
7 oh 4, that area of low income housing was torn down over a year ago. Actually, my recollection is that it was a quiet little place with mostly moms and kids - I never heard of much major going on there. It was also very small, which is how this kind of housing should always be so that it remains managable and safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2008, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,708,844 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
7 oh 4, that area of low income housing was torn down over a year ago. Actually, my recollection is that it was a quiet little place with mostly moms and kids - I never heard of much major going on there. It was also very small, which is how this kind of housing should always be so that it remains managable and safe.
I never personally saw it. Just heard it was a big mess.

Sad thing is that everyone wants these neighborhoods to go away.

We tried to fight to help save Piedmont Courts. I go to church in Belmont. They always want to knock down housing for the less fortunate and build high end. It is a no win situation. Is there a fair solution?

I understand that is what was done to 4th Ward and I would not be living where I do if revitilization had not happenned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2008, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Reputation: 39846
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I never personally saw it. Just heard it was a big mess.

Sad thing is that everyone wants these neighborhoods to go away.

We tried to fight to help save Piedmont Courts. I go to church in Belmont. They always want to knock down housing for the less fortunate and build high end. It is a no win situation. Is there a fair solution?
Well, what the city considered a fair solution was to allow some of the folks in places like Piedmont Courts to buy into the new development on that sliding scale you just said you didn't like! We can't have it both ways 7 oh 4!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2008, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,708,844 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, what the city considered a fair solution was to allow some of the folks in places like Piedmont Courts to buy into the new development on that sliding scale you just said you didn't like! We can't have it both ways 7 oh 4!
I know...that is why I said it is a "no win" situation. Is there a fair solution?

I ask if it were fair for someone to pay lets say $300 for an apartment and their neighbor pay $1,000 for the exact same unit. And doesn't it draw 2 different types of people.

I have VERY mixed emotions about the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2008, 09:20 PM
 
2,603 posts, read 4,270,803 times
Reputation: 1954
I think drawing 2 different types of people is the point of those programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2008, 06:48 AM
 
61 posts, read 220,266 times
Reputation: 33
How can a $300 rent or low-moderate income individual live in Uptown? I continue to hear how expensive it is to live within any of the Wards. With the cost of living rising rapidly, low retail location (no competition), and the availability of jobs, it would be very difficult for anyone at those levels of income to survive. And our government continues to be Republican...they don't believe in subsidising anyone unless they are affluent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2008, 07:30 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwakuni View Post
How can a $300 rent or low-moderate income individual live in Uptown? I continue to hear how expensive it is to live within any of the Wards. With the cost of living rising rapidly, low retail location (no competition), and the availability of jobs, it would be very difficult for anyone at those levels of income to survive. And our government continues to be Republican...they don't believe in subsidising anyone unless they are affluent.
Well, it is your thread, but not sure how the remark about Republicans, subsidies and affluence has a thing to do w/ the question you asked.

You have had several of our very well informed citizens attempt to answer your question. Opinions about rent control are going to be oppositional, as it is a complex situation. Trying to shape social reform thru/ rent control is not a new idea but is not necessarily an effective idea. Individuals rent those apartments and individuals vary . . . so one person may be responsible and doing his/her best to "become all he/she can be" and the next person may be gaming the system and have the mentality that he/she is going to suck up all the entitlements he/she can. Social reform has no easy answers. Gentrification of neighborhoods is viewed as a welcomed relief to some and as a displacement for others.

It is what it is! You wanted to know "what it is" . . . it is up to you to decide whether this is an area you are willing to invest in . . . and make your home. I think the history and inherent problems have been quite adequately described . . . as well as the possible opportunities for the future.

.

Last edited by brokensky; 04-19-2008 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2008, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Reputation: 39846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwakuni View Post
How can a $300 rent or low-moderate income individual live in Uptown? I continue to hear how expensive it is to live within any of the Wards. With the cost of living rising rapidly, low retail location (no competition), and the availability of jobs, it would be very difficult for anyone at those levels of income to survive. And our government continues to be Republican...they don't believe in subsidising anyone unless they are affluent.
This is just not true, low income people do live and survive uptown. Living in uptown is expensive from the standpoint of buying a condo and getting less per square foot for the average person. But when you are being subsidized by the government as some are, they live just fine - totally blowing your assertion that the government only subsidizes the "affluent".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top