U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 04:01 AM

61 posts, read 220,482 times

Advertisements

SunnyKayak,
Any input? I have done research but you are more fluent on these topics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 07:53 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,718,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwakuni View Post
SunnyKayak,
Any input? I have done research but you are more fluent on these topics.
1st Ward use to be called "Earle Village". One of Charlotte's most dangerous and drug infested housing projects in the city. Not that is all gone. They have some nice homes & condos & apartments in 1st Ward.

They still to this day have a few problems (I would be concerned to live there) with some drug & gang activity...due to the fairly new luxury apartments (1st Ward Place) have some income restriction rentals still. Not that is a bad thing...but that has attracted some drug activity over there.

4th Ward is the best Ward (not cause I live here either)...followed by 3rd Ward. They are fixing to develop 2nd Ward with residential. The Epicentre is actually considered 2nd Ward and will have luxury residential condos.

The Wards are divided by "The Square" (Trade & Tryon St's).

4th Ward is NORTHWEST
3rd Ward is SOUTHWEST
1st Ward is NORTHEAST
2nd Ward is SOUTHEAST

Old 04-18-2008, 01:18 PM

Well, if there's drug/gang activity then why would the architect David Furman build Courtside, Court 6, and Quarterside in First Ward? These aren't "economical" projects. Wow, I made big mistake of buying in that area. Not good news!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:25 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,516,378 times
Quote:
Well, if there's drug/gang activity then why would the architect David Furman build Courtside, Court 6, and Quarterside in First Ward? These aren't "economical" projects. Wow, I made big mistake of buying in that area. Not good news!
The only reason there are any problems in 1st ward (and there are some, not a tremendous amount though) is because the city made the developers build their projects to accommadate some lower income folks mixed in with the higher income buyers. Those folks got to buy the same place for much less money than the regular buyer. Supposedly this is a way of breaking the cycle of poverty - you let the uneducated live among the educated and they can be pulled out of their ghetto mentality.

While I feel sure the people living in these places are probably all good, hardworking folks, they do get visits from their prior friends and neighbors who are not necessarily growing beyond their ghetto mentality. This basically leads to outsiders who come into the area and commit crimes.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:26 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,718,298 times
Quote:

Not so. It has been awhile since they have had trouble...I think it was last year...but there were a couple of shootings which is rare anywhere Uptown.

I think the apartments have cracked down. Some of them are income restriction which doesn't also draw the best crowd. I think they get evicted if anyone is caught with drugs or if they find out anyone with a criminal history is living in the apartment.

Courtside is great. Not familiar with the others. Had a friend that use to live in 1st Ward Place and he didn't want to renew his lease after it expired. I am sure that the apartments have straighted up...the 1st Ward residents didn't like what was going on.

An investment anywhere Uptown is a GREAT one. The problems were around Davidson & 9th...in that area. Stay away from the apartments and you will be fine!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:34 PM

777 posts, read 2,276,848 times
I think 704 might have made First Ward sound unsafer than it is. Sure there are a few lower income places. There are drug infested apartments in SouthPark and Quail Hallow also.

Every place has problems. There is a large number of homeless and relatively high number of violent crime in Fourth Ward even though 4th ward is loaded with 750k homes.

If you are in one of the furman properties, i wouldn't be too concerned...especially if you are used to downtown living.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
I think 704 might have made First Ward sound unsafer than it is. Sure there are a few lower income places. There are drug infested apartments in SouthPark and Quail Hallow also.

Every place has problems. There is a large number of homeless and relatively high number of violent crime in Fourth Ward even though 4th ward is loaded with 750k homes.

If you are in one of the furman properties, i wouldn't be too concerned...especially if you are used to downtown living.
Actually, from my perspective I'd say 7 oh 4 was right on the money. He said there are a few problems there, which there are

Old 04-18-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post

Also, please identify the "drug infested apartments in South Park".

Old 04-18-2008, 01:42 PM

Well, in thinking....South Beach in Miami and Downtown Denver used to be one of those horrific crime prostitution infected areas. Look at them today....beyond upscale denomination. Folks who paid $45,000 back many years ago for their condos and dared to grin and bare the environment are now in the position to count their blessings.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Well, in thinking....South Beach in Miami and Downtown Denver used to be one of those horrific crime prostitution infected areas. Look at them today....beyond upscale denomination. Folks who paid $45,000 back many years ago for their condos and dared to grin and bare the environment are now in the position to count their blessings.
Nobody is arguing that buying in uptown is a good investment - we were just explaining why some things are the way the are in 1st Ward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte