U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 06:59 PM

209 posts, read 617,395 times

Advertisements

I actually just stepped on a large Black Rat Snake today while still in my socks. This was just after crawling through about 100ft of concrete drain pipe to get my kitten after she fell about 25ft down the drain opening.

Me, the cat, and the snake are OK.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 07:00 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
What on earth! How did your kitty get in such a fix? I am so glad you are BOTH okay!

Old 04-20-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What on earth! How did your kitty get in such a fix? I am so glad you are BOTH okay!
Since we are OK I laugh about it.

Our community in Indian Trail is about 15% completed so far so there is a large amount of undeveloped land around it. I've been taking the dog for a walk exploring it and I'll let the cat follow us sometimes, since she'll stay right behind us.

We go through the tall grass & the cat and dog will prance through it like deer. Well the cat ventured to close to a storm drain and fell down...the only way out was for me to crawl through the other end and force her out through the water.

It wasn't so bad except the spider webs and the snake at the end...

Needless to say no more long walks for kitty.

I didn't have my camera at the time so sorry no snake pics

Old 04-20-2008, 07:42 PM

You are a hero! I can't imagine that you did this - I would never have been able to tackle crawling in that storm drain. Your kitty is very fortunate to have you for her caretaker. But dear me - that looks like it could be quite the hazard for animals - or children! And after all that - to encounter a snake.

I hope the rest of your weekend was not so exciting!!!!

Old 04-20-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are a hero! I can't imagine that you did this - I would never have been able to tackle crawling in that storm drain. Your kitty is very fortunate to have you for her caretaker. But dear me - that looks like it could be quite the hazard for animals - or children! And after all that - to encounter a snake.

I hope the rest of your weekend was not so exciting!!!!
It's very very far from any of the completed houses, but you are right it isn't very safe, especially with the tall grass. I'm going to try to find someone to address it with...but yeah it was quite an adventure, that's why I had to go back and take pics...

Old 04-20-2008, 09:17 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarononymous View Post
I actually just stepped on a large Black Rat Snake today while still in my socks. This was just after crawling through about 100ft of concrete drain pipe to get my kitten after she fell about 25ft down the drain opening.

Poor thing!! She still looks shelled shocked! Was the snake as surprised to see you and you were to see him??? So glad all turned out well

Great pics, really paints a visual!

Old 04-21-2008, 09:32 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,783,186 times
[quote=aarononymous;3522391]I actually just stepped on a large Black Rat Snake today while still in my socks. This was just after crawling through about 100ft of concrete drain pipe to get my kitten after she fell about 25ft down the drain opening.

POOR BABY!! She still looks a bit overwhelmed by her experience! Thank God she has you & Thank God you made it through that storm drain OK! Tell me, did the dog sit & watch it all?

That is an extremely dangerous condition!!! There needs to be a grating/covering of some type over that ASAP!!! Kids will wander out to play & not see that hole &, God forbid, fall in. The result could be deadly. I say notify the construction manager/foreman immediately & if they don't rectify the problem in a timely manner, notify the town.

BxRosie

Old 04-21-2008, 09:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
I would check to see if their is a town or county ordinance on over grown lots from the photos that is just a breeding ground for snakes, opposums, rats.
Maybe have the HOA to pay to have fencing place around this area but it will need to be maintained or it will still will be wild kingdom on this lot

Old 04-21-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I would check to see if their is a town or county ordinance on over grown lots from the photos that is just a breeding ground for snakes, opposums, rats.
Maybe have the HOA to pay to have fencing place around this area but it will need to be maintained or it will still will be wild kingdom on this lot
Well I am glad you posted this, as frankly, I was thinking the same thing. WILD KINGDOM is a real possibility, especially if there is any construction in the area . . . cause animals have to move their habitats if their territory is disturbed.

Great suggestion, Sunny. That concrete drain pipe looks like a hazard to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte