U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:28 PM

51 posts, read 111,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am sorry you have been the victim of crime. I have been, too, but I don't think it is pathetic at all to be aware of your surroundings. And I am the person who has decided to call out my window to see who is at my door. Neither my family nor my neighbors feel this is pathetic behavior. Plus, it saves me from running down the stairs, LOL. I work at home - near that window. Works for me. If it doesn't work for you, don't do it.
No, it is not pathetic at all to be aware or your surroundings. It is prudent. But I think that it is too bad that you have to call out your window to see who is at your door. Does that mean that you don't even feel safe in your own house?

to nkjaws - sure, I can go into more detail. I was living in an apartment at the time. I had just pulled up to my parking spot and parked. Got out of my car just as another car pulled up with no lights on. The occupants got out with their guns in my face and asked me "where yo money at?". Then wanted my cell phone. I had neither on me. Then proceeded to rifle through my vehicle. All while I had one dude behind me with his gun at my head. They took off after less than a minute.

Did you know that 3 carjackings in Charlotte is normal in any given day? There were 5 one day last week, and that made the news!

anifani821 I sure have the world of respect for you, but I really don't think that it is right that we have to be worried about answering our doors. And while I agree, those that we do not invite to our homes do not belong there, solicitors used to be pests that we could just tell to go away. Now, we worry about them robbing us. That just is not right! It is not pathetic that you look out your window, but generally I think that it is pathetic that you think that you have to do it. I mean, is that any way to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 10:36 PM

13,100 posts, read 12,993,543 times
OK, here's a tip I got from a friend's mother. She was the head nurse of the Philadelphia County mental hospital. She was told this in the 1940s, & said it worked, & I can say it does.

Nothing is more unapealling to a molester than crazy.

She said that one day a man jumped out from behind a bush & grabbed her. She turned around, planted a kiss on his cheek, & at the top of her lungs started planning their wedding. He shoved her away, called her crazy, & ran away.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:48 PM

672 posts, read 1,214,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
OK, here's a tip I got from a friend's mother. She was the head nurse of the Philadelphia County mental hospital. She was told this in the 1940s, & said it worked, & I can say it does.

Nothing is more unapealling to a molester than crazy.

She said that one day a man jumped out from behind a bush & grabbed her. She turned around, planted a kiss on his cheek, & at the top of her lungs started planning their wedding. He shoved her away, called her crazy, & ran away.
You know what, I have actually heard that works. If you turn the tables on them they just don't know how to react. They will probably run away thinking OMG I don't want to mess with that whack job. I think my husband could pull this off if anyone tried to mess with him, I on the other hand don't think I could act that out. I think my fear would paralyze me.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newinclt View Post
No, it is not pathetic at all to be aware or your surroundings. It is prudent. But I think that it is too bad that you have to call out your window to see who is at your door. Does that mean that you don't even feel safe in your own house?

to nkjaws - sure, I can go into more detail. I was living in an apartment at the time. I had just pulled up to my parking spot and parked. Got out of my car just as another car pulled up with no lights on. The occupants got out with their guns in my face and asked me "where yo money at?". Then wanted my cell phone. I had neither on me. Then proceeded to rifle through my vehicle. All while I had one dude behind me with his gun at my head. They took off after less than a minute.

Did you know that 3 carjackings in Charlotte is normal in any given day? There were 5 one day last week, and that made the news!

anifani821 I sure have the world of respect for you, but I really don't think that it is right that we have to be worried about answering our doors. And while I agree, those that we do not invite to our homes do not belong there, solicitors used to be pests that we could just tell to go away. Now, we worry about them robbing us. That just is not right! It is not pathetic that you look out your window, but generally I think that it is pathetic that you think that you have to do it. I mean, is that any way to live?
As a small women, I don't feel safe answering my door so if I had to, I too would call out from the window. Really, if they wanted into my house they could just push right through me and then what would I do. Atleast if they are going to kick in my front door, I still have time to get out via another exit hopefully.

I am all too familiar with those stories about carjackings, and you know it is really frightening. We also know about the apartments here having a lot of crime, I mean there is always someone to target when there are so many people living in such a condensed area. WE looked into renting an apartment when we first moved here while we were building and you know, we just couldn't find one that had a good rating. Even the ones over accross from the police acadamy on shopton has crime, and those apartments are really nice. But I hear if you live in uptown it is actually nice and safe. Some would even say safer then the burbs of Charlotte. So do you still live in an apartment, the same one different one? If that happened to me I would frantically pack and get the heck out of there. But I know easier said then done.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:07 PM

11,770 posts, read 18,261,652 times
Quote:
Yup. I remember when the police had to tell people not to leave their keys in their cars or leave their cars running when they went into stores. They had to pass a law to stop people from doing it. I think it was the precursor to carjackings...

Old 04-19-2008, 11:14 PM

35,485 posts, read 43,312,302 times
Quote:

I cannot imagine how traumatic that had to be to go through something so horrible. Isn't it somehow ironic that it lasted only a minute - but the memory of those seconds is enduring?

I see what you mean about answering my door, LOL. I think I didn't quite understand what you were saying before. In all honesty, I had not really even thought about my decision to not answer the door in the terms of - fair, unfair . . . or even as something I regret having to resort to. I suppose now that I have stopped and thought about it . . . it is too bad that I feel I have to handle things this way. But you see - I had a bad incident at 16 while babysitting - w/ three drunk, dirty, junk dog mean guys trying to break in our house when I was there w/ my two little sisters . . . and so I have never been really fond of having unknown people show up at my door, LOL. Since I work upstairs, if the door bell rings, I always peer out the window anyway (sometimes it is just FedEx and they are only leaving a package so why bother to go down). So to me, raising the window and yelling out is just the next logical step, LOL!!!! Now - like I said - that may not work for others! But my neighbors think it is hilarious so I figure - if they don't find it too "out there" - then fine.

But do I find it sad that we live in a society where we have to think about such things as thugs breaking in our doors in broad daylight - YES. I am rather incensed about it, actually. I find it hard to fathom why people give themselves permission to terrorize other human beings.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Well being the paragon of Southern gentility that you are, I'd be quite surprised if anyone would be foolish enough to challenge you in such a manner. Your Hubby probably can swing that 9 iron in a public garage with much the same finesse as he can on the fairway.
Oh, I have had some spooky stuff happen in parking garages. Never here in CLT, tho. In Atlanta, a guy came up to me as I was unlocking my car door, so I set off the alarm and started yelling RAPE RAPE. He tried to grab my attache - so I kicked him in the shin . . . HARD. A passerby heard me yelling and started running towards us, so the guy ran off, and no, he did not get my attache. Punched a guy in the nose (hard) and knocked his glasses off in DC metro when he tried to grab my handbag. He called me a very very nasty word but by the time that was out of his mouth people were turning around so he loped off. (There were four other people traveling with me!) His sunglasses dropped so I was feeling like a smarty and I yelled after him, "Hey, A$$HOLE, you dropped your sunglasses" and everyone started laughing. Then, just for effect, I smashed them w/ my Ferragamos.

But these were incidents that involved no weapons. I doubt I would be quite so frisky if confronted w/ a weapon.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:33 PM

13,100 posts, read 12,993,543 times
Default If crazy isn't convenient, sometimes loud will do......

The PATCO train is a light-rail train from South Jersey into Center City Philly. The line opened in 1969.

One night (probably in 1969 or 1970, I got into the train car after classes all day & a night class.

I sat in a seat by myself, with my pile of books.& was just too tired to put the books on the seat next to me to block the seat.

At the next stop, a drunk with a gallon of wine, partially emptied, stumbled on & plopped down next to me.

The next thing I knew his hand was on my leg & I knocked it off. The hand came back, & then I stood up, & at the top of my lungs yelled "Get out!" The drunk didn't budge so I proceeded to cuss him out & told him, again to get out of the seat at the top of my lungs. That time he picked up his gallon jug & stumbled off to another seat.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The PATCO train is a light-rail train from South Jersey into Center City Philly. The line opened in 1969.

One night (probably in 1969 or 1970, I got into the train car after classes all day & a night class.

I sat in a seat by myself, with my pile of books.& was just too tired to put the books on the seat next to me to block the seat.

At the next stop, a drunk with a gallon of wine, partially emptied, stumbled on & plopped down next to me.

The next thing I knew his hand was on my leg & I knocked it off. The hand came back, & then I stood up, & at the top of my lungs yelled "Get out!" The drunk didn't budge so I proceeded to cuss him out & told him, again to get out of the seat at the top of my lungs. That time he picked up his gallon jug & stumbled off to another seat.
HEE HEE HEE. I know it wasn't funny at the time, but I can just see this - like a scene from a movie . . . your bravado served your well! You refused to be a victim! I think sometimes you just have to go on your instincts . . .

Old 04-19-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Pathetic that we have to have this thread.

But after having 4 black guys stick their guns in my face and try to rob me in this city, I now keep loaded guns in the house ready to go, look at everybody twice, scout the area as I approach my car, make sure everything is locked up, don't trust hardly anyone. Pretty solidly pathetic way to live if you ask me. There are some people on this forum that won't answer the door, but they hang themselves out the frigging window to see who is knocking. What a way to live.
Also with 4 black guys, and a gun in your face, I presume you did not fight back. Yeah, I think if someone has a gun at my face there is no way to fight back unless we have a gun and can get the bullet out faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte