U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:47 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,662,202 times

Advertisements

of course we closed them at night..well most of our house that is but everyone keeps everything on lock down here and closed up tight during the day too! No matter what neighborhood you drive through you just see the back of shades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 07:50 PM

672 posts, read 1,646,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
of course we closed them at night..well most of our house that is but everyone keeps everything on lock down here and closed up tight during the day too! No matter what neighborhood you drive through you just see the back of shades.
Yeah it is like this in the Steele Creek area too, I know I don't want the thugs seeing what is in our house. Cuz if they come in I am going to scream really loud and tell my husband to get his gun, yup folks that is how I protect myself

Old 04-21-2008, 10:47 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Default Everyone here should plan to attend!

Thought of you two MJ and NKjaws when I saw this on the crime in Charlotte website:

Neighbors for a Safer Charlotte is asking ALL neighborhood leaders and concerned citizens to join them on April 28th at the Charlotte City Council Meeting at 6:30pm at the Government Center.

The goal is to encourage widespread participation in this televised meeting to let our city leaders know the 'status quo' is no longer acceptable. In addition, Charlotte is selecting a new Chief of Police and we want our voice to be heard in this selection process. NSC hopes you will come to this important meeting and you are encouraged to spread the word.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:44 AM

716 posts, read 1,906,413 times
When we bought the house the first thing we did (seriously, right after closing) was change all the locks and the garage door opener codes. You never know who has those things courtesy of the previous owners.

Then we changed all the deadbolts to the kind that has a removable key. Otherwise, someone could smash the glass and reach in to open the deadbolt. We keep the key nearby just in case of emergency exit needs, but not IN the lock.

We have the house alarmed with an instant verbal response box upstairs, and we set it religiously regardless of whether we're running out to the grocery store or actually going away for a few days. We don't leave the front door unlocked when we're in the backyard, and vice versa, including the garage door. (Though, there's a guy down the street that leaves his garage open ALL the time...)

All the windows are always locked, and the blinds are closed unless it's the office in the front of the house during the day, where we both work and can keep an eye on the goings-on. My husband has the aluminum baseball bat next to the bed, and he carries it with him down to the office in the morning.

We have a solid privacy fence around the back yard with a padlock on the gate. At night we turn on the back porch light, the garage lights, and the front of the house lights (all CFLs comparable to 100 Watts or more.)

And lastly, though we live in a beautiful neighborhood, my clean and reliable (but-not-all-that-desireable) '97 Saturn sits in the driveway. If the garage is open, that's where my huband's '91 Nissan sits. We're not exactly "flaunting it."

Old 04-22-2008, 07:06 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
When we bought the house the first thing we did (seriously, right after closing) was change all the locks and the garage door opener codes. You never know who has those things courtesy of the previous owners.

Then we changed all the deadbolts to the kind that has a removable key. Otherwise, someone could smash the glass and reach in to open the deadbolt. We keep the key nearby just in case of emergency exit needs, but not IN the lock.

We have the house alarmed with an instant verbal response box upstairs, and we set it religiously regardless of whether we're running out to the grocery store or actually going away for a few days. We don't leave the front door unlocked when we're in the backyard, and vice versa, including the garage door. (Though, there's a guy down the street that leaves his garage open ALL the time...)

All the windows are always locked, and the blinds are closed unless it's the office in the front of the house during the day, where we both work and can keep an eye on the goings-on. My husband has the aluminum baseball bat next to the bed, and he carries it with him down to the office in the morning.

We have a solid privacy fence around the back yard with a padlock on the gate. At night we turn on the back porch light, the garage lights, and the front of the house lights (all CFLs comparable to 100 Watts or more.)

And lastly, though we live in a beautiful neighborhood, my clean and reliable (but-not-all-that-desireable) '97 Saturn sits in the driveway. If the garage is open, that's where my huband's '91 Nissan sits. We're not exactly "flaunting it."
You have developed very wise habits. Thugs go for the easiest target . . . your neighbor w/ the open garage would be the easy target!!!! He may be doing as much as you are to keep YOUR home safe!!!

Old 04-22-2008, 07:33 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,476,002 times

Come on in

Old 04-22-2008, 08:45 AM

716 posts, read 1,906,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You have developed very wise habits. Thugs go for the easiest target . . . your neighbor w/ the open garage would be the easy target!!!! He may be doing as much as you are to keep YOUR home safe!!!
Our sentiments exactly!

In fact there are a lot of houses here that don't take as many precautions as we do... At the risk of sounding selfish, that makes us feel a lot more safe.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:47 AM

672 posts, read 1,646,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
Our sentiments exactly!

In fact there are a lot of houses here that don't take as many precautions as we do... At the risk of sounding selfish, that makes us feel a lot more safe.
DITTO!! I don't wish bad things on anyone but I have this theory that if you don't take crime seriously here, and you don't take the proper precautions to protect yourself then you are leaving yourself wide open for bad things to happen to you.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:51 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Thought of you two MJ and NKjaws when I saw this on the crime in Charlotte website:

Neighbors for a Safer Charlotte is asking ALL neighborhood leaders and concerned citizens to join them on April 28th at the Charlotte City Council Meeting at 6:30pm at the Government Center.

The goal is to encourage widespread participation in this televised meeting to let our city leaders know the 'status quo' is no longer acceptable. In addition, Charlotte is selecting a new Chief of Police and we want our voice to be heard in this selection process. NSC hopes you will come to this important meeting and you are encouraged to spread the word.

So, who's going to go uptown for the meeting on the 28th????

Old 04-22-2008, 10:55 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,707,497 times
We protect ourselves with KILLER cats!

They can't scratch you...but they sure can BITE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte