Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:43 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,385 times

Advertisements

Found this article intersting...sure community meeting are a good idea to keep the public informed, however, I often scratch my head at why these people generally do not decide to protect themselves by having a gun or taking a self defense class? These meeting are good, but they need to start having meetings about ways to protect yourself, about how not to become a victim. So, here is a question that I have, what things, if any do you do to protect yourself? Whether it be that you are more attentive, look over your shoulder when you are loading groceries, avoid certain areas, take a self defense class, etc. I want to know what things YOU do in an effort to keep yourself and family safe?
Crime victims voice their frustration at community forum | Local News | News for Charlotte, North Carolina | WCNC.com | Top Stories (http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-041908-sjf-violencemeeting.7dffa799.html - broken link)

and apparently businesses need to be armed too:
Charlotte Observer | 04/09/2008 | 4 Charlotte businesses robbed (http://www.charlotte.com/583/story/572941.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 08:00 PM

51 posts, read 163,434 times
Pathetic that we have to have this thread.

But after having 4 black guys stick their guns in my face and try to rob me in this city, I now keep loaded guns in the house ready to go, look at everybody twice, scout the area as I approach my car, make sure everything is locked up, don't trust hardly anyone. Pretty solidly pathetic way to live if you ask me. There are some people on this forum that won't answer the door, but they hang themselves out the frigging window to see who is knocking. What a way to live.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
Found this article intersting...sure community meeting are a good idea to keep the public informed, however, I often scratch my head at why these people generally do not decide to protect themselves by having a gun or taking a self defense class? These meeting are good, but they need to start having meetings about ways to protect yourself, about how not to become a victim. So, here is a question that I have, what things, if any do you do to protect yourself? Whether it be that you are more attentive, look over your shoulder when you are loading groceries, avoid certain areas, take a self defense class, etc. I want to know what things YOU do in an effort to keep yourself and family safe?
Crime victims voice their frustration at community forum | Local News | News for Charlotte, North Carolina | WCNC.com | Top Stories (http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-041908-sjf-violencemeeting.7dffa799.html - broken link)

and apparently businesses need to be armed too:
Charlotte Observer | 04/09/2008 | 4 Charlotte businesses robbed (http://www.charlotte.com/583/story/572941.html - broken link)
Well, NKJ . . . as you know . . . I do nothing any differently than I have been doing for decades. I have posted some of my suggestions for being safe, staying safe . . . and have had some really strange remarks made such as "I would never live my life that way" etc.

To me, being safe is just part of life - like brushing my teeth. I have been the victim of crime - had several pretty scary things happen at an early age - and so I learned that it is up to me to be aware and not give anyone a chance to put me in the position of becoming a victim. The main thing is to make wise decisions about where you go, when you go there . . . create safe habits at home . . . and be prepared. As you said - such things as personal safety courses are very empowering.

People act like being prepared is for the paranoid, LOL. Well, I enjoy being prepared. I used to ignore weather reports . . . until I got caught in Hurricane Hugo! So I learned to track weather and then it became a hobby. (BTW - anyone notice all the tornadoes tonite??) I got my certification in First Aid and CPR . . . maybe others don't want to think things can go wrong but if you have a cardiac arrest in my presence, I will step in and do my best to see you stay alive in order to be transported to the nearest ER . . .

I think some people just want to believe nothing will ever happen to them. Well, random things happen in this universe, from tornadoes to car accidents to thugs breaking in your house. All we can do is become educated about how to meet emergencies.

I do not equate being aware and prepared w/ being an uptight, paranoid jittery fraidy cat, LOL, but evidently a lot of people do. If you have confidence in your ability to meet ANY of the challenges of life, then you will be more self-assured rather than easily intimidated and overwhelmed. I guess having been through some personal challenges w/ my own safety have reinforced that I will take action and I know how to manage myself in an emergency.

I love this incident from 3 or 4 years ago . . . when a guy in a parking lot at a strip mall in Hickory pulled a shotgun on several people as they were getting out of their cars and demanded their money and their keys.

One woman said she just knocked that shotgun away from her head and proceeded to lecture the guy about trying to rip off hard working people, LOL. Now that is my kind of woman.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newinclt View Post

But after having 4 black guys stick their guns in my face and try to rob me in this city, I now keep loaded guns in the house ready to go, look at everybody twice, scout the area as I approach my car, make sure everything is locked up, don't trust hardly anyone. Pretty solidly pathetic way to live if you ask me. There are some people on this forum that won't answer the door, but they hang themselves out the frigging window to see who is knocking. What a way to live.
I am sorry you have been the victim of crime. I have been, too, but I don't think it is pathetic at all to be aware of your surroundings. And I am the person who has decided to call out my window to see who is at my door. Neither my family nor my neighbors feel this is pathetic behavior. Plus, it saves me from running down the stairs, LOL. I work at home - near that window. Works for me. If it doesn't work for you, don't do it.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newinclt View Post

Thanks for your input. I don't think it is pathetic that we have to have a thread, I like to look at it rather as imformative. I think that we can all learn from each other ways to better protect ourselves. Would you mind going into detail about the 4 guys who stuck a guns in your face? I'm just trying to learn, back before it happened were you as observant as you are now? I agree that living like you are probably isn't the best way to live, I bet you feel like another incident like this could be imminet. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:53 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
My wife & I went out for dinner this evening at Villa Antonio in Ballantyne Village. We parked in the garage & took the elevator to the 1st level. As we were walking past the fountain, there was a raised stage. A group of drunk girls were approaching us from the other side. I walked to the left of the stage. A girl in a white outfit tried to be Jet Li with me & nearly broke my nose. Fortunately I was an inch out of range of receiving the full force of her kick & she fell off the stage & went down on the pavement on her head. My only comment to her was along the lines of wishing her an early & painful death.

If I hadn't been aware of this idiot I could've wound up in the emergency room with a broken nose. Come to think of it I could've then sued her & her family. Alas maybe next time.

Dinner was excellent!

Old 04-19-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
My wife & I went out for dinner this evening at Villa Antonio in Ballantyne Village. We parked in the garage & took the elevator to the 1st level. As we were walking past the fountain, there was a raised stage. A group of drunk girls were approaching us from the other side. I walked to the left of the stage. A girl in a white outfit tried to be Jet Li with me & nearly broke my nose. Fortunately I was an inch out of range of receiving the full force of her kick & she fell off the stage & went down on the pavement on her head. My only comment to her was along the lines of wishing her an early & painful death.

If I hadn't been aware of this idiot I could've wound up in the emergency room with a broken nose. Come to think of it I could've then sued her & her family. Alas maybe next time.

Dinner was excellent!
How ridiculous! That is just unreal . . .and a perfect example of how random stuff can just happen . . . and cause you a world of SH$T just b/c you were at a certain place at a certain time . . . so glad you were paying attention and so averted a trip to the ER.

And glad you enjoyed your dinner.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:58 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Always be aware of your surroundings.

When you're walking down a street, keep an eye on your own reflection in shop windows. (just look from the corner of your eye) If you can see yourself, you'll see if someone is coming up on you from behind.

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And glad you enjoyed your dinner.
I dropped Miss Scarlett's name & we had the best service ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post

Dinner was excellent!
Hey well on the bright side, great timing for this post, the down side, what in the world??? Why was she trying to kick you in the first place? Was she trying to rob you? Glad she fell and got some sense knocked into her hopefully and glad you and your wife are both okay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte