Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 06:55 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,233,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
you are in central FL, try South FL (Broward County) and lemme know how you feel, lol...

its a big big big difference!

FYI, born and raised in South FL for 30yrs, just moved to NC last year
I am in SE Florida for over 15 years now (originally from Queens, NY). We live in the Coral Springs area. We have lived in the same neighborhood for 6 years now and have 2 kids now. While I'll admit that we shop at the same stores and the employees know us by names (we are really friendly people), and are soooo nice to us, we love our area - I will also admit that if we venture into unfamiliar places, the people are rude, impatient, and sometimes do look at you like you have 3 heads. LOL It's quite annoying at times (especially for people as friendly as us - they can almost turn you into NON friendly people like THEM - LOL).

Old 04-20-2008, 07:38 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,535,345 times
Angry Not because of all the elderly people

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
Hmmm, I have lived in both and I really don't notice a difference either. I don't think you can judge a state and say those people are great, those people are rude, etc. In FL the only compaint I have is healthcare facilities. B/c of all the elderly, if you have to go to the ER, expect to wait 5 hours to see a dr., etc. Other then that there are rude people in both places and nice people in both places. I'll give a perfect example: My local post office, which I am a frequent customer: There is this one worker that the first time I met her she threw my credit card back at me and told me she couldn't swipe it unless she had my signature on it. So I sign the credit card with my toddler on one hip so ofcourse the signature is somewhat messy. I was also annoyed at her rudeness. So just recently when I went back there and had the same cashier I handed her both my Drivers license and credit card and she stands there for like 2 minutes looking back and forth at both and I'm like is there a problem. She was like, "yeah these signatures don't match at all." So I was like well you made me sign it last time with my crying toddler on my hip and plus my drivers license is like 10 years old so that signature is 10 years old, as TX drivers licenses just renew it with the old signature and picture. So you see, you just never know where you will run into a rude person, could be Charlotte, some where in FL, Alaska, or anywhere for that matter. All you can do, just be a nice person no matter what you run into
Hi
I think it may be more accurate to say that the wait times in ER are also due to the chronic lack of nurses in Florida (and the whole of the USA)
I am an English RN waiting for Green Card visa to come and work in Concord. I have been a nurse for 25 years and was offered a senior nursing job in April 07. Unfortunately I could not take up the job I was offered (they had been trying to fill it for 8 months) because I couldn't get a visa quickly enough. Even though nursing has been classified as a Schedule A occupation by the USA department of labour for the last 10 years at least- I may have to wait another 2-3 years for GC. Your baby boomers will be retiring within the next 10 years and the shortage of nurses will only get worse.I think it is particularly bad in Fl because of the low wages and rise in cost of living, but please don't quote me on that.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:54 AM

22,192 posts, read 29,198,568 times
SS-I lived in Miami-born and raised for 32 years and just came up to Charlotte. I see a total world of difference and world I mean by English everywhere. I completely agree with you a hundred and ten percent about how people are rude, don't give a s##t about you and try to kill you while driving. I swear they do it on purpose!!
From day one since I've been up here in NC, every store I've walked into people have greeted me and asked me if I need help. I've also been called Mam numerous times and always been told thank you and have a good day by every person when completing a transaction! The only thing I was ever called in Miami was Chica or Mommasita or Oh yea mommy.
As for the person who lives in Central Fla, why are you posting on here? You don't live here in NC so what is the point? And yes, Central Fla there are rude people too. My sister lives in Winter Springs. It may not be as bad as Miami but it's coming soon. You'll see..
See until you live in So Fla which is really considered Broward and Miami, not Central Fl, you have no idea of what me and SS are talking about.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:11 AM

8,886 posts, read 20,275,284 times
As I stated in a previous Reply, people who are "paid" to be nice to customers MUST be nice or they lose their jobs. AND, why was the Florida person making a Reply in the Charlotte forum? Because she read that someone was talking about the area she lives in and saying things that weren't entirely true. They have a right to defend the area they live in!! The Charlotte area is nice, but we have found the same kind of so-called
"unfriendliness" here that we did in Denver, Colorado metro area. Yes, we get treated nice/talked to in stores/restaurants here (it's their job), but, after leaving a restaurant from having breakfast, people don't pass us (while going in) and say "Good Morning". Years ago, I was raised in a small farming area in Indiana and when we went to the small town that was close to us for groceries or haircuts, everyone in the town would say "Hi" to us when they saw us. Of course, that was back in the mid-late 60's!!!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:18 AM

672 posts, read 1,824,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
As I stated in a previous Reply, people who are "paid" to be nice to customers MUST be nice or they lose their jobs. AND, why was the Florida person making a Reply in the Charlotte forum? Because she read that someone was talking about the area she lives in and saying things that weren't entirely true. They have a right to defend the area they live in!! The Charlotte area is nice, but we have found the same kind of so-called
"unfriendliness" here that we did in Denver, Colorado metro area. Yes, we get treated nice/talked to in stores/restaurants here (it's their job), but, after leaving a restaurant from having breakfast, people don't pass us (while going in) and say "Good Morning". Years ago, I was raised in a small farming area in Indiana and when we went to the small town that was close to us for groceries or haircuts, everyone in the town would say "Hi" to us when they saw us. Of course, that was back in the mid-late 60's!!!
but we have found the same kind of so-called
"unfriendliness"~YES EXACTLY PEOPLE... there are rude and nice people everywhere it doesn't matter what state you are in. We have traveled more then half of this country and guess what, everywhere is the same in that regard, you get some nice ones, some rude ones. It doesn't matter where you live. We lived in FL, visit often and I never witnessed any kind of over the top rudeness that is different then any where else. Come on people, let's not call this something that it isn't.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,985 times
I was born and raised in Miami. Never in a million years did I ever think I could live somewhere else. The beaches, the palm trees, delicious seafood, great restaurants. We really loved living in Florida. I don't know what happened, but it changed for my husband and I. We'd go to a store or a restaurant and be treated super rudely. The driving just became intolerable. We decided last year to relocate...mainly because we didn't want our children growing up there. We moved to the Charlotte area and haven't regretted it once. Yes, we miss our family and friends and some local hang-outs we loved. But the difference is incredible! Last month we went back for the first time since moving here. We couldn't wait to get back "home."

Old 04-20-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lakesinNC View Post
I was born and raised in Miami. Never in a million years did I ever think I could live somewhere else. The beaches, the palm trees, delicious seafood, great restaurants. We really loved living in Florida. I don't know what happened, but it changed for my husband and I. We'd go to a store or a restaurant and be treated super rudely. The driving just became intolerable. We decided last year to relocate...mainly because we didn't want our children growing up there. We moved to the Charlotte area and haven't regretted it once. Yes, we miss our family and friends and some local hang-outs we loved. But the difference is incredible! Last month we went back for the first time since moving here. We couldn't wait to get back "home."
Hmmm, intersting to have a strong opinion when you haven't lived in Charlotte very long? I cannot imagine everyone in FL being super rude that you had to move. WE go there all the time and I have met very few rude people actually.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:52 PM

876 posts, read 3,781,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
Hmmm, intersting to have a strong opinion when you haven't lived in Charlotte very long? I cannot imagine everyone in FL being super rude that you had to move. WE go there all the time and I have met very few rude people actually.

Where exactly in South FL are you going where there are no rude people? The tourist district where people are "paid to be nice" or are you dealing with the general population?

Visiting isn't really going to assist in this thread. I am speaking on LIVING in both places. We've lived in FL for 30yrs, and lived in NC for just over a year. And we see a HUGE difference, period.

When was the last time a perfect stranger waved to you as you were driving down a residential street in FL? And when I say "waved" I don't mean flicking you off...

Old 04-20-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
Where exactly in South FL are you going where there are no rude people? The tourist district where people are "paid to be nice" or are you dealing with the general population?

Visiting isn't really going to assist in this thread. I am speaking on LIVING in both places. We've lived in FL for 30yrs, and lived in NC for just over a year. And we see a HUGE difference, period.

When was the last time a perfect stranger waved to you as you were driving down a residential street in FL? And when I say "waved" I don't mean flicking you off...
Oh good gravy, when was the last time a perfect stranger waved to me in Charlotte, probably over a year ago. Unless you want to count the street thugs that wave and try to get you to stop so that they can steal your car, hehe.

Had you have read all of my posts in this thread then you would have known that I have also lived in FL. We lived in Boyton Beach, and we visit Clearwater Beach.

What I am saying is and what I will continue to say is that there are rude people and nice people in both places in infact all over the country.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,155,934 times
Default Well here is my take!!!

If no one in the whole world is nice to me, I am still warm to them. Happily, I am continually greeted by people who appreciate my attempts at spreading Goodwill. And isn't it amazing? When you are upbeat, pleasant and kind to others - it usually puts a smile on their faces, so they are a bit nicer to the next person who crosses their paths . . .

I am a native here. I was taught that a proper Southern woman never loses her cool in public, and is never purposely rude to anyone. I was with a female friend one day (another proper Southern gal) and she was driving her brand new Benz. We got hit from the side by a woman who was driving a nearly new Volvo, and pulled out from a side road onto the main road and evidently didn't see us coming from the opposite direction. We all got out to see what had happened. There were a lot of OH DEARS and Are you okay? and My new car! etc.

The lady who caused the accident had a baby in the car, so immediately, my friend was making excuses for the accident. "Poor thing, I know you were distracted b/c you have a little one in the car." LOL!!!! Yes, my friend was the victim here, and she made excuses for the other driver. Everyone exchanged info and waited for the cop to arrive.

By the time the cop came, we had exchanged baby sitter names, hairstylist leads and tips on the best kids' consignment shops in town. The drivers scheduled tennis for the next week.

We all ended up friends.

Life is a lot more pleasant . . . if all the people doing the living are pleasant, LOL!!!!!

Welcome to the South! There are more like me out there . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte