Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:30 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh, yes, it was a very very deliberate act. I wanted to MAKE SURE he saw me. And yes, I was feeling very frisky, Brian . . . I have been taught to never make a "public display" . . . like a good Southern girl! But this time, I wanted a PUBLIC DISPLAY. There was no excuse for this guy acting that way. He clearly saw me, I was matching his speed and the left lane was clear - all he had to do was move over. I was furious. Then when I saw the NY tags on that black Infiniti, well . . . something just boiled up in me. I thought . . . that's it. This is my town . . . and here is someone who acts like he owns the road and my taxes helped pay for this road, not his. Oh yes, I had all these thoughts.

I didn't just open the sunroof. When he slowed down and came beside me and was yelling out the window, he had unrolled his passenger window so I could better hear him and I rolled down my window so I could make sure he heard me say DAMN YANKEE!!!! And Brian, my own DH is a Yankee. Hee Hee Hee.

He called me some very very bad names, Brian. Very bad. He, of the NY tags and new black Infiniti, said words that would make you blush!!!

But I have learned a new term (thank TheEmissary) which I started to use instead of Damn Yankee. Do you think if I called an Italian looking guy a Guido it would make him really really mad??? Or should I just stick to Damn Yankee? <batting eyes>

I would stick to damn yankee sans eye batting. Flirtatious gestures with an insult result in merely confusing your target when the entire goal is to p**s him off.

Just keep it strictly like this (you know, do exactly what you did before ):

http://www.desktopexchange.com/gallery/albums/Big_emoticons/angry.thumb.gif (broken link)

http://www.desktopexchange.com/gallery/albums/Big_emoticons/fight.thumb.gif (broken link)

Old 04-20-2008, 03:33 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Ani you make me so proud. Remind me to teach you some things in Espanol to yell out in response

Old 04-20-2008, 03:37 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Ani you make me so proud. Remind me to teach you some things in Espanol to yell out in response

Don't even worry about that! I have a website bookmarked that teaches you foreign swear words! You wanna cuss out the spanish, germans, chinese, you name it, this'll teach ya!

Nobody can ever accuse me of not using the world wide web for wonderful and productive things.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
But, Himain, you are not supposed to encourage me! LOL! Remember - I am supposed to be a Goodwill Ambassador, LOL!!!! Spread happiness!! Nice Southern gal! etc etc etc

Old 04-20-2008, 03:48 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Don't even worry about that! I have a website bookmarked that teaches you foreign swear words! You wanna cuss out the spanish, germans, chinese, you name it, this'll teach ya!

Nobody can ever accuse me of not using the world wide web for wonderful and productive things.
But see that is the thing! I am ashamed b/c I did want to cuss him out! And if people like me - native Southerners - are resorting to such unseemly things as flipping other rude drivers off . . . then is CLT going to become just like Florida - wh/ is what this post is all about - that we are NICER here than many other places.

It is such a dilemma! Why should I endure the arrogant behavior of someone who has moved here? But on the other hand . . . I am helping erode the "nice" element here by responding.

What is a girl to do??? My kids thought this was hilarious; my DH was shocked that proper Anifani would do such a thing . . . and my parents would be mortified.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:55 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh, yes, it was a very very deliberate act. I wanted to MAKE SURE he saw me. And yes, I was feeling very frisky, Brian . . . I have been taught to never make a "public display" . . . like a good Southern girl! But this time, I wanted a PUBLIC DISPLAY. There was no excuse for this guy acting that way. He clearly saw me, I was matching his speed and the left lane was clear - all he had to do was move over. I was furious. Then when I saw the NY tags on that black Infiniti, well . . . something just boiled up in me. I thought . . . that's it. This is my town . . . and here is someone who acts like he owns the road and my taxes helped pay for this road, not his. Oh yes, I had all these thoughts.

I didn't just open the sunroof. When he slowed down and came beside me and was yelling out the window, he had unrolled his passenger window so I could better hear him and I rolled down my window so I could make sure he heard me say DAMN YANKEE!!!! And Brian, my own DH is a Yankee. Hee Hee Hee.

He called me some very very bad names, Brian. Very bad. He, of the NY tags and new black Infiniti, said words that would make you blush!!!

But I have learned a new term (thank TheEmissary) which I started to use instead of Damn Yankee. Do you think if I called an Italian looking guy a Guido it would make him really really mad??? Or should I just stick to Damn Yankee? <batting eyes>
ani - Once a person like that says something nasty to you, you're entitled to say anything that comes to mind -no matter what! Don't let being "Southern" hold you back in any way - use the choicest invictives you want!

Once ( in the early 70's) while driving home from college one night, a guy in a new Plymouth convertible cut me off and then swore at me. I'm the wrong person to do that to. My mother was in the car at the time, she was the Assistant Registrar at the college. At a stop light, at the bottom of the hill, I managed to do the same thing to him. He tried to get to my right and I was able to maneuver him into a lane with parked cars. He then gave his car the gas and pulled in front of me. He tried to get out of the car and as he did, I gave my car the gas and aimed it at his door. I never saw a human get back into a car that fast! My mother let out a scream which would have drowned out Joan Sutherland and Maria Callas in their prime.
She said to me "you have to watch your temper" and when I got home my father said "That guy might have punched you". I told him that guy would have been a "hood ornament" first.

As far as the "Guido", this guy was an early 70's version and as tha old saying goes "if the shoe fits, Cinderella".

Old 04-20-2008, 04:00 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
Where exactly in South FL are you going where there are no rude people?

Where exactly in North Carolina are you going where there are no rude people? I wanna come and ruin it and bring my attitude with me. And then I'm going to rob a bank before I move back to New Joisey. I'm going to give everyone I see the bird and ruin the schools too. And only because your are so pompous (dare I say rude?) about it. I have noticed that people over the past year have seemed to be a little more pleasant and relaxed around here. Maybe it's because all of the rude people are moving? Hmm...

Quote:
Boynton Beach is not real south Fl. BB is a totally different world from broward and miami.
I agree, the people are even ruder in Boynton Beach. It's more like the fake OC meets the real ghetto. Oh but there aren't any Hispanics there so everyone is bright and shiny and smiley I guess.

Seriously guys, enjoy your alternate reality that you created in the Promised Republic of Metrolina, and please don't start whining and complaining about the place in three years when the actual reality starts hitting some of you. The natives there don't want to hear about it.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-20-2008 at 04:15 PM..

Old 04-20-2008, 04:17 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Living in Huntersville since last Oct and haven't had one person wave to us while we were driving by......anywhere!! Do you live in a different part of North Carolina than we do???
Just please get this: rude and unfriendly people are almost everywhere today and yes, both in North Carolina/Charlotte areas and in Florida/Miami areas. If you live in an area where people in general say "Good Morning" automatically, please tell us......we will move there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
Where exactly in South FL are you going where there are no rude people? The tourist district where people are "paid to be nice" or are you dealing with the general population?

Visiting isn't really going to assist in this thread. I am speaking on LIVING in both places. We've lived in FL for 30yrs, and lived in NC for just over a year. And we see a HUGE difference, period.

When was the last time a perfect stranger waved to you as you were driving down a residential street in FL? And when I say "waved" I don't mean flicking you off...

Old 04-20-2008, 04:25 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
If you live in an area where people in general say "Good Morning" automatically, please tell us......we will move there!!
My neighborhood is like that (as in seriously), but as soon as you leave you will be robbed by armed masked bandits who do not speak English and the rude people will start falling out of the sky. Is it true that Charlotte will save my soul?

PS- I have got the "good" wave in my car several times in Cooper City (Broward County) and in my own neighborhood (not far away). I'm not saying it's typical here, but it shouldn't be assumed to be typical to Charlotte either. I think it's a matter of personal experience.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:38 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
CTR-You know that we have butt heads more than once in the Miami forum. I'm not sure how you long have lived in Weston as that area is about 10 years old or so?? Please correct me if wrong. I'm not sure if you really got to live through the transformation that occurred down there. I was born and raised in Miami and lived there for 32 years so I have seen it all. But I can honestly say that so far FOR ME Charlotte has been a lot nicer people wise. And I've been anywhere from Southpark up to Concord and have had the same experience everywhere. At least when and if they do cut me off here, they use their turn signal and don't try to actually kill me on purpose while doing it. They are nicer about it. Does that make sense? Oh and I love hearing English everywhere. It's such a bonus. I was in Wallyworld today and did hear Spanish with the Mexicans but that's expected. It was not that much at all. Plus its Sunday so everyone and their grandmother literally is there! At least they were polite to me and said Excuse me numerous times. Not just a stupid blank look on their face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte