Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 09:23 PM

876 posts, read 3,791,998 times

Advertisements

I was back down in FL (our hometown) for the past month with my wife and daughter on some business. Anyhow, I just thought I'd share what I experienced in my FIRST day back in NC today. My point is at the bottom...

-We went to the post office to pick up our mail. Inside was a hand written THANK YOU card from a new kids hair cuttery in Mooresville (Pig Tails and something Curls). We had taken our daughter there before we left. Handwritten address and all! We'll definetly be going back!

-While shopping at Sam's club in Hickory, we went to buy some of the Sam's club branded chicken breasts over the purdue. I was referencing to my wife how it was $.50 per ounce less than Purdue (lame, I know). Then a guy walking buy stopped me and introduced himself as a worker at the local Food Lion meat department. He gave me some information on the difference of the chicken, thus resulting in my choice selection of the more expensive Purdue because its not "enriched" with garbage that can be bad for growing kids. News to me, but he offered the advice without my asking, very nice!

-On the way back into Mooresville, we stopped by the recycling station off of HWY150 and Sherrills Ford Road. I had wanted to drop off a stack of cardboard for recycling. While I was bringing everything out of my SUV, the employee came over and asked if I needed help. I replied with a "no" at which time he noticed I had my 3yr old with me. He said "is that your only one?" I told him yes and he walked off and came back with a tootsie pop for her. Once again, nice gesture!

So all this in one day! Want to know what I got in 4 weeks in FL? Nothing. Not one simple nice gesture, no polite people, no waves, nada. Just alot of honks, alot of rude people, and alot of stress. Man am I glad to be back in NC!!

That is all.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:29 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,008 times
Amen. As much sentimental tie I have to Florida from growing up there, it really stinks to have to go back and put up with what it has become. I'm already trying to plot a way to make everyone come up here for Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Old 04-19-2008, 09:32 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,424,534 times
Funny, I have lived in Florida since 2001 and what you mention has not been my experience at all. I find the people here very friendly and helpful.

The traffic does suck but people are rude just about anywhere when they have to sit in traffic.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:50 PM

876 posts, read 3,791,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Funny, I have lived in Florida since 2001 and what you mention has not been my experience at all. I find the people here very friendly and helpful.

The traffic does suck but people are rude just about anywhere when they have to sit in traffic.
you are in central FL, try South FL (Broward County) and lemme know how you feel, lol...

its a big big big difference!

FYI, born and raised in South FL for 30yrs, just moved to NC last year

Old 04-19-2008, 11:00 PM

672 posts, read 1,830,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

Hmmm, I have lived in both and I really don't notice a difference either. I don't think you can judge a state and say those people are great, those people are rude, etc. In FL the only compaint I have is healthcare facilities. B/c of all the elderly, if you have to go to the ER, expect to wait 5 hours to see a dr., etc. Other then that there are rude people in both places and nice people in both places. I'll give a perfect example: My local post office, which I am a frequent customer: There is this one worker that the first time I met her she threw my credit card back at me and told me she couldn't swipe it unless she had my signature on it. So I sign the credit card with my toddler on one hip so ofcourse the signature is somewhat messy. I was also annoyed at her rudeness. So just recently when I went back there and had the same cashier I handed her both my Drivers license and credit card and she stands there for like 2 minutes looking back and forth at both and I'm like is there a problem. She was like, "yeah these signatures don't match at all." So I was like well you made me sign it last time with my crying toddler on my hip and plus my drivers license is like 10 years old so that signature is 10 years old, as TX drivers licenses just renew it with the old signature and picture. So you see, you just never know where you will run into a rude person, could be Charlotte, some where in FL, Alaska, or anywhere for that matter. All you can do, just be a nice person no matter what you run into

Old 04-19-2008, 11:02 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Welcome HOME, SSS!!!! Glad to have you back!!!

I hear these descriptions of FL and it is just so sad . . . I always have enjoyed spending time in FL, but things have changed so much over the 30 plus years I have been traveling there . . .

Anyway . . . happy to know it felt good to get back here.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:45 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,424,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
you are in central FL, try South FL (Broward County) and lemme know how you feel, lol...

its a big big big difference!

FYI, born and raised in South FL for 30yrs, just moved to NC last year
Well that might be true, but its MORE likely to do with a densely populated area, not just because its Florida.

Besides if memory serves, this thread was about the entire state, not just South Florida.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:49 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,359,009 times
That's right folks, different areas in different States have rude people, just cann't give one area that honor! A lot of things have changed thru the years (30 years or whatever) and some things will continue to change. You will always find some "nice" and "rude" people everywhere today. As I always say, "Welcome to today's society!!".
We heard that NC was full of friendly folks before moving here from Colorado last year.....seen very little of that! Shoot, didn't see much of it in Colorado either!! People who are paid to be friendly (restaurants, hotels, car sales, etc.) we have seen that here, but that is everywhere. We just don't see that in your common everyday people (like the ones who pass by you at the Post Office) here. I will sometimes say "Good Morning" and will then (and only then) get the "Good Morning" said back, but I have to say "Good Morning" first!
It would be great if the general public would say nice things to each other, weither it's in NC or anywhere else, but with crime the way it is, don't see that happening anytime soon again.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:04 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,126 times
First time I came to NC from FL (after living there for 20 years) to visit right before moving here, I got to Raleigh and got immediately mixed up on where I was going. I stopped at a gas station, and waited in line to ask the clerk how to get to Duke medical. When I got to the front of the line, there were about 6 people waiting behind me.

I asked the clerk if they could tell me how to get there, and the clerk wasn't exactly sure. The people waiting in line, which in Broward county FL where I came from would have been impatient, and trying to get me out of line as quickly as possible- ALL tried to help tell me exactly where I needed to go, the quickest way to get there, and how to avoid getting lost. They were not impatient, and annoyed at my taking their time. They honestly wanted to help.

I never forgot that initial introduction to NC, and I notice instances like that all the time. The people here are more patient, genuinely kind, have more smiles to offer, and there is absolutely no comparison between the two areas in that regard. I love it here.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:26 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,309,850 times
Welcome back SS.
Courtesy, it's just the Southern Way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte