U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 09:44 PM

338 posts, read 789,533 times

Advertisements

Perhaps some New Yorkers can answer this question.

We're thinking of moving to Charlotte for a variety of reasons, but I am concerned about people talking constantly about horrific commutes from 20 miles away.

I live in Westchester in a town that's about 25 miles from Midtown. I have a 30 minute ride on Metro North, which is an utter pleasure. I read the NY Times in the morning and the Economist, Smithsonian or some other magazine going home at night.

Not to mention, on some occasions, I've driven during weekdays to Wall Street, and it's simply not as horrific as people in Charlotte suggest that their drives are. Can a city with 2 million people have worse traffic than a city with 20 million? I am concerned about this issue. Please let me know your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 09:50 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,632,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post

We're thinking of moving to Charlotte for a variety of reasons, but I am concerned about people talking constantly about horrific commutes from 20 miles away.

I live in Westchester in a town that's about 25 miles from Midtown. I have a 30 minute ride on Metro North, which is an utter pleasure. I read the NY Times in the morning and the Economist, Smithsonian or some other magazine going home at night.

Not to mention, on some occasions, I've driven during weekdays to Wall Street, and it's simply not as horrific as people in Charlotte suggest that their drives are. Can a city with 2 million people have worse traffic than a city with 20 million? I am concerned about this issue. Please let me know your thoughts.
Light rail (Lynx) is in its infancy here in Charlotte, while Metro North, LIRR, NJ Transit is a way of life for many commuters in the NY/NJ/CT metro area. So the comparision is unfair.

Even with some windy country roads down here, the commute is a breeze to up north where I'm originally from...

Old 04-19-2008, 09:52 PM

338 posts, read 789,533 times
Thanks. That's good to hear. I'm starting to get concerned that Charlotte is like a mini-LA or DC Beltway in that it takes forever to get anywhere.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:03 PM

672 posts, read 1,645,781 times
Quote:
Thanks. That's good to hear. I'm starting to get concerned that Charlotte is like a mini-LA or DC Beltway in that it takes forever to get anywhere.
I don't find that to be the case, atleast not yet. Now with the current influx I think in a few years that may catch up with us. Then again I do not commute so I'm not usually on the road during rush hour

Old 04-20-2008, 05:58 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,578,353 times
Traffic can (and does) get rough here at times. We live in Huntersville and have seen the traffic backed up on the 77 freeway going north. I mean, they do, without a doubt, can have some heavy traffic here. But, it's not "horrific" traffic, say like in good old Southern California. We are seeing Charlotte and the surrounding areas growing with people more and more AND with that you will have more and more traffic. Here, like everywhere else......people love their vehicles and the freedom they have driving them.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:06 AM

367 posts, read 928,127 times
Traffic in Charlotte is nothing compared to other cities I have lived in. Portland, Seattle and Houston are much worse. I can't compare to NY, never lived there. As long as they keep building roads and don't get the pipe dream that they can force people to use public transportation like some other cites do, we will be ok.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:06 AM

515 posts, read 905,435 times
When I was there, south of the city (Ballantyne area), I found it to be a congested mess. I could actually drive into boston from the south easier than into Charlotte. Yes, if you leave you home a 5:30 you can breeze into the city, but that is true just about anywhere...That being said, the real traffic seems to be only at rush hour, where as other cities, the traffic is pretty bad all day...

Old 04-20-2008, 11:55 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,252,124 times
Quote:

Never lived in NY, but I'm going to take a stab at your question anyway. Basically, YES, a city with this much less population can have traffic worse than such a large city as NYC. This is because the Charlotte streets, roads and interstates were never meant to carry the amount of traffic they now carry. Our public transportation system is off to a good start, but in its infancy. You do realize we only have 9.6 miles of light rail track opened yet? NYC has had the subway system for over a hundred years. We've basically only seen use of our city buses in the last 10 years! Neighborhood streets, narrow little streets have now become major thoroughfares all day long. Used to be you could go anywhere in Charlotte and be there in 15 minutes, except for the morning and afternoon rush hours - and that was only about 10 years ago. Now, no matter what time of day you travel you will encounter constant traffic.

I realize to some of you coming from 2+ hour commutes this is all relative. But for those of us here long term we are appalled at the traffic we must now deal with. If the city had been designed to accomadate this many people years ago, then traffic would not be much of an issue. Since no one could ever foresee the huge influx in our population not much was done to prepare for it and we are, I think, very overcrowded. Until our roads catch up I think traffic here could definitely stay worse than traffic in many other larger cities.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:09 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,423,724 times
Loves, thanks for your post. I'd give you some more reputation but the site says I can't.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:54 PM

4,091 posts, read 10,141,733 times
We moved from Los Angeles and both of us commuted through areas with very high traffic (Pasadena to downtown LA and Pasadena to Beverly Hills).

One thing we did in LA and DH does here......find a way to go in early and leave early or go in late and leave late....this helps tremendously. DH leaves Marvin at 6am and gets to Uptown (through the lynx on South Blvd.) in 35 minutes or so. When he goes at 8am it can take him over an hour. It is a 25 mile commute.

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte