U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:15 PM

49 posts, read 159,305 times

Advertisements

I bought a HUD home through the GNND program and it was great! The first house we looked at was to dream for. The second house we looked at was a disaster, but the third house we looked at was PERFECT! Hope the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 09:20 AM

33 posts, read 74,078 times
The good neighbor next door program does have several homes in Charlotte that are in good areas. This program is really a good program for you teachers out there and can save you quiet a bit of money. Moderator cut: soliciting not permitted

Last edited by autumngal; 05-27-2008 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,970 times
Default do you know about the teacher incentive to buy?

I'm curious...do you have information on the incentive offered to teachers who buy HUD housing in Charlotte? My son is a teacher as well and is considering buying a house v. renting. If you have any information on that incentive, I would like to hear about it.
Thanks
Marilyn

[email]marilynthayer@verizon.net[/email]

Old 07-20-2008, 09:44 AM

533 posts, read 1,637,810 times
does anyone know if school counselors can qualify for this program? the site lists teachers, firefighters, and emt workers specifically...but as a school counselor i am on a teachers pay scale serving the same k-12 population. i emailed our HUD department for an answer, but they haven't replied yet. maybe someone with knowledge about the GNND program or a realtor here can answer for me. thanks!

i was looking at the houses listed 2 weeks ago and there was a 28277 townhouse listed right near elm and ballantyne commons...not exactly a ghetto area! sweet deal.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,955 times
Default HUD Homes

I am not sure if you still need help with your questions being that you posted them months ago, but I am a teacher, and although I was not lucky enough to get a HUD home because I bought a house right before the program started, my brother and a good friend of ours both purchased HUD homes. Sometimes there are in rougher neighborhoods and sometimes they are not. Sometimes the houses are in bad shape, and sometimes they are not. You really just need to check each week and see what's available. I know my one friend found and got a house within two weeks of the program, but my brother had to wait about 4 months before he finally got the house of his dreams. ;-) As for the schools you mentioned, it's really difficult to answer your questions as a whole. I would recommend pulling up each school on the website and you should be able to look at school data and leadership surveys. That might help you with your decisions. There is a lot going on in CMS right now with low performing schools and it's going to be a interesting few years.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:35 PM

7,105 posts, read 9,701,079 times
It's true that if you eliminate a house because of a zip code I don't think you will ever find one that meets ALL of your parameters. One of the things I have learned about CLT is not only are areas of a zip code different from each other, but houses on a single street can have quite a bit of difference between them

I have bought houses in each of the zip codes you mentioned. Not as a teacher, cop etc but as an investor.If you need some help or tips about buying a HUD house I will try to help--(I am NOT a real estate agent)

Old 07-20-2008, 07:08 PM

For the school counselor, you can contact the local HUD office or HMBI to see if you qualify. I hope you do.

OMG! Please buy a HUD home if you can. We closed on ours in April. Don't look at zip code either because my husband and I excluded zip codes but when we mapquested them later, some were in desirable locations. We kicked ourselves in the butt later. We still were able to get a home in 28269 near Huntersville where I work so we were happy. Our mortgage with EVERYTHING included (hoa, insurance,etc) is in the $500s!!! We live in a nice neighborhood-not the best-but very safe and comfortable for a family. Direct message me if you need info about the agent we used to put our bid in and fill out the paperwork. She was wonderful and basically did everything for us! Hope everything works out.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:17 PM

533 posts, read 1,637,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theteacher View Post
For the school counselor, you can contact the local HUD office or HMBI to see if you qualify. I hope you do.

OMG! Please buy a HUD home if you can. We closed on ours in April. Don't look at zip code either because my husband and I excluded zip codes but when we mapquested them later, some were in desirable locations. We kicked ourselves in the butt later. We still were able to get a home in 28269 near Huntersville where I work so we were happy. Our mortgage with EVERYTHING included (hoa, insurance,etc) is in the $500s!!! We live in a nice neighborhood-not the best-but very safe and comfortable for a family. Direct message me if you need info about the agent we used to put our bid in and fill out the paperwork. She was wonderful and basically did everything for us! Hope everything works out.
thanks! i am going to give them a call tomorrow. i graduate in december, and hope to have a job by fall '09, which is around the time we want to buy a house. i have a feeling though that school counselors won't qualify, but it's worth checking into. as long as i feel safe in a home i am OK, we don't plan on having children for a few years, so school district won't be a factor for us right away.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:21 PM

Oh yeah for the one that wanted to know about incentives, if an FHA Loan is used, then its only $100 down. We had to put down an earnest deposit of 1% that was credited to the loan.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:23 AM

51 posts, read 149,053 times
I am a teacher in Raleigh looking to take advantage of the GNND program. Where can I find a list of houses that qualify in the Raleigh/Durham area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or