U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 10,311 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am considering relocating to Charlotte and buying a HUD home. I know that some of the HUD homes can be in less favorable neighborhoods. What do you know about the 28215 and 28216 zip codes? Which middle and high schools do they serve? I am used to teaching kids from low socio economic areas, aka "the hood", but I am not from Charlotte and need a little help with this one. I plan on driving down on a weekend to check out some areas at night.

Also, is Martin Kuther King, Jr. Middle, West Charlotte and (I think) EE Harding High schools so tough? Do they have a strong, supportive administration? I know the challenges of low performing schools.

Thanks for your help. I want to make this move, but I also want to be informed. I have lived in my hometown all of my life; I am ready for a change. Not to mention, I am tired of renting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 04:45 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,472,627 times
The schools mentioned are not the best. As far a support goes to get an honest answer you would have to find a teacher in the system.

I believe HUD offers some sort of dollar program for teacher's police etc etc. Have you checked into them?

Old 04-20-2008, 05:22 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,683,642 times
I'm not sure HUD has programs for teachers but I think HouseCharlotte does. I know that Police Officers can get up to $10,000 in down payment assistance. Maybe teachers too; I'm not sure.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:26 PM

Correction...Police Officers are eligible for up to $15,000 with the HouseCharlotte Program. Others get up to $7500. That includes teachers and other homebuyers.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:46 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,193,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlife08 View Post
Hi,
I am considering relocating to Charlotte and buying a HUD home. I know that some of the HUD homes can be in less favorable neighborhoods. What do you know about the 28215 and 28216 zip codes? Which middle and high schools do they serve? I am used to teaching kids from low socio economic areas, aka "the hood", but I am not from Charlotte and need a little help with this one. I plan on driving down on a weekend to check out some areas at night.

Also, is Martin Kuther King, Jr. Middle, West Charlotte and (I think) EE Harding High schools so tough? Do they have a strong, supportive administration? I know the challenges of low performing schools.

Thanks for your help. I want to make this move, but I also want to be informed. I have lived in my hometown all of my life; I am ready for a change. Not to mention, I am tired of renting!

What is your price range?

Old 04-21-2008, 07:31 AM

118 posts, read 408,266 times
HUD actually has a GREAT program for full time teachers, police, firefighters and emt. They have a 50% discount, you have to live in the home for 3 years as your primary resident. They have homes in all areas. It's called the Good Neighbor Next Door program. Every friday they list the houses available for the GNND and you have 4 days where you can bid on the homes. It's a lottery system, but worth it to me. I wish I was eligbele. I've seen some pretty nice homes. The most expensive I've seen was about $160 thousand. Having a home for worth 160 or more but only paying 80 thousand is worth it to me. Just my opinion. I get so excited when I tell people about the program. GOod luck with your move. Please don't let people deter you from finding out the information. Not all the neighborhoods are bad, areas. If you have any more questions DM. Good luck with your search. It seems that a lot of teachers know about the program, because I check the results all the time and they seem to have it on lock. But you guys deserve the break.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:18 AM

529 posts, read 1,799,963 times
NY is right, I have heard about this from a realtor friend that I have. There is the 3 year minimum, but to only pay 1/2 price is a steal.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblkqueen View Post
HUD actually has a GREAT program for full time teachers, police, firefighters and emt. They have a 50% discount, you have to live in the home for 3 years as your primary resident. They have homes in all areas. It's called the Good Neighbor Next Door program. Every friday they list the houses available for the GNND and you have 4 days where you can bid on the homes. It's a lottery system, but worth it to me. I wish I was eligbele. I've seen some pretty nice homes. The most expensive I've seen was about $160 thousand. Having a home for worth 160 or more but only paying 80 thousand is worth it to me. Just my opinion. I get so excited when I tell people about the program. GOod luck with your move. Please don't let people deter you from finding out the information. Not all the neighborhoods are bad, areas. If you have any more questions DM. Good luck with your search. It seems that a lot of teachers know about the program, because I check the results all the time and they seem to have it on lock. But you guys deserve the break.
You're right; I forgot about the Good Neighbor program. That's a deal.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:43 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,472,627 times
Homes and Communities - U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) will show you all the current deals. There is no $1 home deal in Charlotte currently. You coudl go to Wilson NC

Old 04-21-2008, 02:57 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,158,629 times
What areas qualify as a revitalization area?

I am also a teacher and I am hoping to buy a home in a few months. I never really considered a HUD home (heard the horror stories about all the damage people cause!), but if it comes with a 50% discount, I may reconsider! I never heard of this before.

But, are these only in not so desirable neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or