U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:47 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,283,444 times

Advertisements

One of the problems with that area is that it is so spread out, it has to be extremely hard to police. Though I lived in the area for seven years until moving to Rock Hill in October. Never had a problem. There really isn't much violent crime there either. So it's good to keep in perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 01:50 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,290,091 times
That whole area there is just sketchy. Before I got laid off I worked off of University Research (not far from UNCC) and we had a problem with car vandals and break ins. We had the memos tacked to the wall warning owners, particularly those of mini vans and SUV's, that there was a rash of break ins within the lot. They were targeting more those vehicles raised a bit more off the ground than a regular car.

It's just getting worse around here these days.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:16 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,482,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
They were targeting more those vehicles raised a bit more off the ground than a regular car.
Then they were probably stealing catalytic converters for the platinum.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:44 PM

575 posts, read 1,352,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileysmom View Post
According the UNCC website "Currently, the University’s police department is a 24-hour, seven-day-a-week, year-round operation, and at any given time, there are four to five sworn officers conducting proactive patrols and responding to calls."

Four to five officers? On a campus of 1,000 acres and 22,000 students? Is it just me or do these numbers seem a little out of whack? My son will be attending UNCC in the fall and this has me worried. The administration has said that they will be contracting with an outside agency for additional security, but they are only adding 4 more officers and that is "pending advertisement and awarding of the contract" which I would assume would take quite some time. I hope they can do something in the meantime.
There was an on campus robbery there this past week at 1 am. 3 m/b's with a gun robbed a student. they probably came from the apartments(projects) on the north border of the campus.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:08 PM

367 posts, read 929,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
There was an on campus robbery there this past week at 1 am. 3 m/b's with a gun robbed a student. they probably came from the apartments(projects) on the north border of the campus.
What "Projects" are you referring to? I am not aware of any housing projects around the North University area.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:10 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,290,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Then they were probably stealing catalytic converters for the platinum.

That's exactly what they were doing.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:36 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,283,444 times
Not really projects, but University Terrace and some of the other apartment complexes have a lot of Section 8 units, which allow low-income residents. they're mixed in with students and others, but there have been some problems there around the N.C. 49 side of campus.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:37 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,793,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
That whole area there is just sketchy. Before I got laid off I worked off of University Research (not far from UNCC) and we had a problem with car vandals and break ins. We had the memos tacked to the wall warning owners, particularly those of mini vans and SUV's, that there was a rash of break ins within the lot. They were targeting more those vehicles raised a bit more off the ground than a regular car.

It's just getting worse around here these days.
Not only that, but you don't have the added security of a trunk in these vehicles. Trunks are more difficult to break into; you cant just smash the glass.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:11 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,675,905 times
Crime happens, 24 break ins may seem like a lot, but it isn't because many times these happen in waves. Colleges are prone. I would love more police around, but who is going to pay for it? I don't like the situation, but I can't get too worked up over it.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:12 PM

575 posts, read 1,352,333 times
MORE OF THE SAME AT UNCC. WHERE ARE THE UNIVERSITY POLICE AT 3PM? IT SEEMS THAT THE BAD GUYS CANT EVEN RUN INTO THEM!

Assistance needed in locating suspects
When the UNC Charlotte Police Department verifies that a serious incident or series of crimes have occurred on or even off campus and believes it could impact the University Community, we issue an advisory to increase everyone’s awareness and safety and to seek community assistance in locating suspects.

On April 23, 2008 at approximately 3:00 PM students reported that someone had assaulted them with "BB" type objects (possibly yellow in color) in the vicinity of Phillips Road and Broadrick Road. During the investigation, another student anonymously reported someone had assaulted him in a similar fashion several days ago and he had not reported the incident. The student left without providing the police his name. The suspects are described as 4 or 5 males, black, operating a silver Neon. The weapons used may be an air gun discharging plastic projectiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or