Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:20 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times

Advertisements

I think FiOS is the fiber optic cable. AT&T has also been aggressively launching this (it's called U-Verse). It will be the next hottest thing in telecommunications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 07:26 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Cable can't touch FiOS. If you want to check specs for it, Verizon is rolling out FiOS in several markets. Check the main Verizon website.
southbound_295 - Charlotte is not serviced by Verizon as far as land lines, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that! FiOS is top-rated for Picture Quality and Verizon services Monroe. But by the time it gets to me, I'll be pushing up daisies! NC never seems to be on the bleeding edge of getting new technology. All of the Northeast will have FiOS service before much of NC sees it. If it was available, I think there would be a lot of cable and satellite customers that would drop their services like a hot potato!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:05 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I had DirectTV for the sports only as its very expensive. Plus with all the storms and stuff the signal sucks. Plus I just had a very nasty problem with them. Been with them for 6 years at parents house in Miami and mine in Tampa. Well they sent me a final bill that I never received after being told I didn't owe anything. All of a sudden I received a letter stating it was going into collections and it WAS already on my credit report. It had only been 3 weeks since I made the phone call to cancel it. Scrapped it out and got it straightened out. Left a bad taste in my mouth and will not return.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:39 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
TWC has been a nightmare for us. The picture quality is not anywhere near what Directv had, even without HD. When I pause Directv I can still see the picture clearly. With TWC I can't make out anything on the picture when I pause. TW is also quite grainy looking and fuzzy. The DVRs with TWC we have have had issues since the day we got them.

We have had FOUR tech guys out with TWC and even a new line put in. We still have major problems.

Directv is the way to go for us.

Dawn

Old 04-21-2008, 08:54 PM

99 posts, read 395,599 times
Thanks for the replies Just one question.......for everyone who says that DTV is so much more expensive, is that because of the sports package bringing up the price? Right now we have DTV. For regular service on 5 boxes, (with no premium channels), we pay $75 monthly. I priced TWC and with the one year special of $49 a month plus $10 for each additional box (4) that comes to $89 before any taxes. And that is only for one year. I assume that after the first year it goes up even higher. Am I missing something?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:24 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
southbound_295 - Charlotte is not serviced by Verizon as far as land lines, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that! FiOS is top-rated for Picture Quality and Verizon services Monroe. But by the time it gets to me, I'll be pushing up daisies! NC never seems to be on the bleeding edge of getting new technology. All of the Northeast will have FiOS service before much of NC sees it. If it was available, I think there would be a lot of cable and satellite customers that would drop their services like a hot potato!
Emissary, FiOS is fiberoptic. I worked as a broadcast tech & we took some local sports feeds on fiberoptic lines. It blows everything else away.

I had a Verizon rep at my door this afternoon wanting to know if I wanted to sign up for FiOS.

Verizon is blowing Comcast out of the water. I'll miss doing business with Verizon........... oh well.............That's life.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:56 PM

78 posts, read 233,838 times
We had DirecTV, then when DVR's came out (High Def), we switched back to cable. You rent the box instead of having to buy. With technology these days, you could buy a DirecTV box, and 3 months later a new version comes out. We've been pretty pleased with TWC. We have a bundle package (no phone though - don't want to put all my egss in one basket). No real problems with cable modem or cable. Just recently received a new download from TWC.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:25 PM

179 posts, read 582,791 times
FIOS (Verizon) is a complete fiber optic network from the Telephone Companies Central Office right to the subsribers home. UVERSE (AT&T) uses fiber optics from the Central Office to a predeterminded location in a given neighborhood to what is called a VRAD (a large metal cabinet located either on a pole, or a pad on the ground). The VRAD converts the digital signal from the fiber optic over to the same copper cable that now serves your home. While I am an AT&T employee, FIOS in far and away the best system available today.

Bill

Old 04-23-2008, 06:51 PM

99 posts, read 286,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justpeachee View Post
Thanks for the replies Just one question.......for everyone who says that DTV is so much more expensive, is that because of the sports package bringing up the price? Right now we have DTV. For regular service on 5 boxes, (with no premium channels), we pay $75 monthly. I priced TWC and with the one year special of $49 a month plus $10 for each additional box (4) that comes to $89 before any taxes. And that is only for one year. I assume that after the first year it goes up even higher. Am I missing something?
with TWC, u dont need boxes in each room if u just want regular service, so your price can be a one year special of $29

Old 04-23-2008, 07:01 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billjr View Post
FIOS (Verizon) is a complete fiber optic network from the Telephone Companies Central Office right to the subsribers home. UVERSE (AT&T) uses fiber optics from the Central Office to a predeterminded location in a given neighborhood to what is called a VRAD (a large metal cabinet located either on a pole, or a pad on the ground). The VRAD converts the digital signal from the fiber optic over to the same copper cable that now serves your home. While I am an AT&T employee, FIOS in far and away the best system available today.

Bill
Bill, you're absolutely correct. Every other system provdes a signal with significant losses.

In this area, Cavalier is now offerig a fiber-optic phone & internet package for $50.

As soon as any fiber-optic service gets into the Charlotte area, prices for the other services will drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte