U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:40 AM

3,185 posts, read 5,762,101 times
For us, I knew all along that we'd be in the North Charlotte area. Personally, I think that the Southpark, Matthews, Ballentyne, Union County, and York County areas are all nice, and I wouldn't hesitate to live in any of them. But, there were some points that had to be considered. First, I was hoping that we'd be able to do some boating, and living close to four or more boat launches was a factor. Second, my job is located in the University research Park, so that was a consideration. Third, I wanted to keep open an option of possibly working for Lowes in Mooresville. Lastly, we tend to spend a lot of time in both the Winston-Salem and Greensboro areas, and being in Huntersille just places us that much closer to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 07:43 AM

35,117 posts, read 41,615,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Hey there Rettsie - I happen to live in Tega Cay (Fort Mill area). As others have stated it is a nice area...but I did want to add that the price range you are looking at (including a 1/2 acre of land) would be a hard find anymore.

My suggestion would be to look at Clover, SC (York County) or Indian Land, SC (Lancaster County).

Now if you are willing to look at homes with less land (say a 1/4 or 1/3 of an acre...that opens up more possiblities). Or areas that are more rural (farther away from Charlotte...the more bang for your buck). In addition...more times than not..the newer the home...the less land you will find.

Good Luck to you!
Well, I think I missed the boat on my post - as I thought I had read this entire thread - and if I did - I sure missed the $200,000 price range.

LTC has given good advice here. I would have to modify mine as I think it would be difficult to find a newer home of any size in S. CLT in that price range.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:35 AM

49 posts, read 258,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Hey there Rettsie - I happen to live in Tega Cay (Fort Mill area). As others have stated it is a nice area...but I did want to add that the price range you are looking at (including a 1/2 acre of land) would be a hard find anymore.
I just checked out Tega Cay (on the web) and it definitely looks like we will be checking it out.
Thanks!

Old 04-23-2008, 11:42 AM

43,986 posts, read 53,900,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rettsie in NJ View Post
I just checked out Tega Cay (on the web) and it definitely looks like we will be checking it out.
Thanks!
This would be my top pick for you based on all you are looking for

Old 04-23-2008, 12:17 PM

78 posts, read 152,548 times
Both areas of Charlotte are great. We chose the Mallard Creek area because it was so close to my husbands office (off WT Harris Blvd). We did the 45 minute (one-way) commute in Northern Virginia, so we were looking for something close. The Concord and Harrisburg areas are really growing. The schools are still somewhat less crowded than CMS, but the area is growing very fast. You really need to drive around I-485 and just jump off and see what's around, between 9am and 3pm, otherwise you'll be stuck in traffic. Get a map (inside telephone books, and at Wal-Mart).

Old 04-23-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankimnc View Post
You really need to drive around I-485 and just jump off and see what's around, between 9am and 3pm, otherwise you'll be stuck in traffic. Get a map (inside telephone books, and at Wal-Mart).
Thanks good info, I was just thinking of getting maps and didn't even think of going to Wal-Mart.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:35 PM

12 posts, read 16,141 times
I will be interested to hear what you thought of Charlotte after your trip. I am an area realtor, and I moved from NJ (where I was also a realtor). I chose South Charlotte in order to be in the best school districts (kids or not, it's good for resale and appreciation) and certainly have been known to leave my doors unlocked (much to the chagrin of my father who came to visit from Richmond!) I'm confused by the reports of crime from other posters, and my view of South Charlotte is that it's beautiful here, lots of restaurants and shopping, but placed in pretty shopping centers. There are boulevards with crepe myrtles all over the place, and lots of brick compared to the NY NJ area.

I think that there are a ton of choices for you, unfortunately! It will be hard to make up your mind! Lake Wylie, Rock Hill, Fort Mill and Lancaster County down 521 (where Sun City- Carolina Lakes is), are a few options, Matthews and a bit below is also great. Out towards Mint Hill you can find nice, quiet neighborhoods with lots of trees. Some lovely developments are going in towards Waxhaw. If you do want to live in a convenient location, with a half acre, 3 BR, 2 BA, you can do that in a few places in S Charlotte. You could get something in Olde Providence for around 250, or Sardis Woods would be maybe 175-185 for something like that, lovely and convenient. It will just depend on if you want to do a lot of driving (out in SC) or just zip around the corner (Sardis Woods for example). SC has lower taxes and more benefits for retirees, so that may be a consideration. However, taxes are SO much lower than NY/NJ you won't be phased no matter what! It will also depend on if you want a new construction home (won't be brick for that price), or an older home (and older here means 1960's to 1990's! Ha! Compared to my 1896 home in NJ!)

I do want to just say that I have spent as little time as I could possibly get away with up in North Charlotte because of the horrendous traffic, actually more going to Lake Norman, though. So, North Charlotte posters, please don't take offence. I've seen some lovely places in the North, NE and NW, Charlotte is just full of choices. I just don't like a ton of traffic - and I don't have to commute uptown, so I get to avoid the steady stream down Providence, (Colony) Rea, Park, Independence, 485, and all other roads going south out of uptown between 4:30 and 6:00! I really never see a ton of traffic down here!

Hope you have a really wonderful time - you should have kept your reservation in South Charlotte, though, you would have been very happy

Old 06-04-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderland View Post
I will be interested to hear what you thought of Charlotte after your trip. I am an area realtor, and I moved from NJ (where I was also a realtor). I chose South Charlotte in order to be in the best school districts (kids or not, it's good for resale and appreciation) and certainly have been known to leave my doors unlocked (much to the chagrin of my father who came to visit from Richmond!) I'm confused by the reports of crime from other posters, and my view of South Charlotte is that it's beautiful here, lots of restaurants and shopping, but placed in pretty shopping centers. There are boulevards with crepe myrtles all over the place, and lots of brick compared to the NY NJ area.

I think that there are a ton of choices for you, unfortunately! It will be hard to make up your mind! Lake Wylie, Rock Hill, Fort Mill and Lancaster County down 521 (where Sun City- Carolina Lakes is), are a few options, Matthews and a bit below is also great. Out towards Mint Hill you can find nice, quiet neighborhoods with lots of trees. Some lovely developments are going in towards Waxhaw. If you do want to live in a convenient location, with a half acre, 3 BR, 2 BA, you can do that in a few places in S Charlotte. You could get something in Olde Providence for around 250, or Sardis Woods would be maybe 175-185 for something like that, lovely and convenient. It will just depend on if you want to do a lot of driving (out in SC) or just zip around the corner (Sardis Woods for example). SC has lower taxes and more benefits for retirees, so that may be a consideration. However, taxes are SO much lower than NY/NJ you won't be phased no matter what! It will also depend on if you want a new construction home (won't be brick for that price), or an older home (and older here means 1960's to 1990's! Ha! Compared to my 1896 home in NJ!)

I do want to just say that I have spent as little time as I could possibly get away with up in North Charlotte because of the horrendous traffic, actually more going to Lake Norman, though. So, North Charlotte posters, please don't take offence. I've seen some lovely places in the North, NE and NW, Charlotte is just full of choices. I just don't like a ton of traffic - and I don't have to commute uptown, so I get to avoid the steady stream down Providence, (Colony) Rea, Park, Independence, 485, and all other roads going south out of uptown between 4:30 and 6:00! I really never see a ton of traffic down here!

Hope you have a really wonderful time - you should have kept your reservation in South Charlotte, though, you would have been very happy
Well as you know coming from NJ we don't mind driving a bit to anything. So even though we are staying in Huntersville we are planning to check out SC as well. Lake Wylie, Ft. Mill and Rock Hill are all on my list. Tell me, where in NJ are you from? We are in central NJ and can't wait to leave! What RE agency are you with because I contacted one in SC but haven't heard back yet.
Thanks for your input.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:51 AM

12 posts, read 16,141 times
Default From Montclair to Charlotte 2006

We moved from Essex County - Upper Montclair. So, being 12 miles west of NYC, traffic wasn't too bad around the towns, but 46 and Rt 3 were killer!

You can find my website on my contact info and search there. I was with Burgdorff in NJ and Wilkinson here. You are just going to be amazed, no kidding. Things I love: sunshine a lot of the time! easy to get around! taxes (and utilities, really) are so much less! Lots of store choices! if you miss up north, you can visit ! so much. I am excited for you, this was the best thing I've ever done. Even though it's hard to move, once you get here, explore, get involved, meet some people, it'll be like you've always been here!

Of course I would be happy to help you, so if you choose to , feel free to contact me!

The most important thing, though, is that it's a great experience for you.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:15 PM

49 posts, read 66,407 times
WOW! So much great information here!

I know NOTHING about Charlotte but my husband and I are considering a relocation from Long Island NY to the south and Charlotte was one of the areas he remembers traveling through, that he liked many years ago.

For someone looking for a house 250k -- not necessarily has to be a lot of property but does need a yard for two dogs, I would be interested in knowing a community in and around Charlotte that would cater to someone who likes to play golf.

Suggestions? Advice?

And thank you in advance for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte