U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 02:42 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post
then by your very own example, throwing them in jail isn't solving the problem. They get out and continue to commit crimes.

think proactively, not reactively. We've been thinking reactively for far too long. Get down to the reason why they do what they did. And I don't know why it is, I'm just saying, that's a starting point. Have these guys ever gotten out and been asked why they do what they do? Or do we just lock them up and never get to the bottom of it?

I'm sure some are just bad people, and bad people will be here forever, so you aren't solving that. But I don't think they all steal for the love of stealing.
Psychopaths. THey cannot be reformed. There are approximately 2.5 million psychopaths (statistic prediction) here in the USA. We know where 1 million of them are - they are in the penal system. That leaves 1.5 million out there walking around, terrorizing our neighborhoods.

Have you hugged a psychopath today? Give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 02:57 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,661,977 times
Default Oh I disagree canagan

I think people steal for the love of stealing just like some people kill for the rush they think they will get. I worked in the mental health field where homicidal and suicidal patients came to me as soon as they got out of the hospital..some people just do it b/c they want to and know they can get away with it...it is as simple as that. They have been allowed to get away with it for a very long time and now Charlotte and other areas where crime is just as bad are paying the price for a very lenient system!

Old 04-23-2008, 03:03 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
I think people steal for the love of stealing just like some people kill for the rush they think they will get. I worked in the mental health field where homicidal and suicidal patients came to me as soon as they got out of the hospital..some people just do it b/c they want to and know they can get away with it...it is as simple as that. They have been allowed to get away with it for a very long time and now Charlotte and other areas where crime is just as bad are paying the price for a very lenient system!
Yep. Psychopaths. Anti-social disorder. Etc. Thank you for weighing in, MJ.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:11 PM

160 posts, read 357,685 times
so what's the solution?

Should we raise taxes to build even more prisons? The US has 5% of the world's population and 25% of the world's prisoners. And you're saying that's not high enough, we need to put more people in prison?

MJ, I don't have the working experience in this field like you do, but it seems to that serial killers are exactly as you describe, but do you really think the "normal" street murder is from a guy that loves the thrill of it? I always figured it was more of something that just happened - like you catch your wife sleeping with your neighbor and go kill him out of emotion. I woudn't call that guy a psychopath. But like I said, I'm nto in the field like you are.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:13 PM

17 posts, read 41,210 times
If people were stealing food... medicine.. necessities for life, that's one thing. (Not saying I condone it in any way). But as others have said, people are stealing flat screen TVs, jewelry, cars, etc. That just smacks of laziness and entitlement. "I see something I want, and I want it now." Nevermind that someone may have spent weeks/months saving up for it, or that I could injure/kill someone to get it, but I want it NOW. Enough to make you sick.

I do agree with Cagman on one thing- there has to be a way to start from the beginning, before the behavior starts. As much as reading and math are taught, schools need to be teaching/enforcing hard work, honesty, integrity, etc. And I know that all that is easier said than done, and the problem is much more complex than that. But it's heartbreaking to know that these thugs were once their parents' sweet child, and somehow their lives got so screwed up that we are now watching them on the evening news.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyk9 View Post
If people were stealing food... medicine.. necessities for life, that's one thing. (Not saying I condone it in any way). But as others have said, people are stealing flat screen TVs, jewelry, cars, etc. That just smacks of laziness and entitlement. "I see something I want, and I want it now." Nevermind that someone may have spent weeks/months saving up for it, or that I could injure/kill someone to get it, but I want it NOW. Enough to make you sick.

I do agree with Cagman on one thing- there has to be a way to start from the beginning, before the behavior starts. As much as reading and math are taught, schools need to be teaching/enforcing hard work, honesty, integrity, etc. And I know that all that is easier said than done, and the problem is much more complex than that. But it's heartbreaking to know that these thugs were once their parents' sweet child, and somehow their lives got so screwed up that we are now watching them on the evening news.
Bless your heart,
Um that comes from the home by going good parenting and Scouts and church that is why crime is less in Charlotte than other areas; moral values comes from the home and should not be sole responsbility of the schools.
Thank you

Old 04-23-2008, 03:37 PM

672 posts, read 1,646,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post
The increase in crime is a result of the increasingly poor economy. it's not like hundreds of "thugs" just decided to move into charlotte for some reason. Crime increases when poor people lose what little hope they had. What's more disturbing to me is the violent crime. That's how I know things are really bad with the economy when people are willing to risk everything over a violent crime.

hell, people in the middle class can barely afford to pay for gas, groceries, health insurance, bills, etc. I have no idea how the low class does it. Apparently they resort to stealing sometimes. It's not an excuse, but there is a relationship between crime and the economy. Create better jobs and a better economy and the crime will stop. When you have a growing divide between the rich and the poor, and the middle class shrinks, you get increased crime.
I don't think these "thugs" decided to move into Charlotte, I think they have always been here, they just have robbed all the people there is to rob in their hood and have now moved on to the rich folk, where all the good stuff is at.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:39 PM

672 posts, read 1,646,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yep. Psychopaths. Anti-social disorder. Etc. Thank you for weighing in, MJ.
Yup, and lets add gang initiations and gang violence to that list.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:49 PM

17 posts, read 41,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Bless your heart,
Um that comes from the home by going good parenting and Scouts and church that is why crime is less in Charlotte than other areas; moral values comes from the home and should not be sole responsbility of the schools.
Thank you
Oh, I absolutely agree with you that that is where it SHOULD come from. But a lot of kids don't have the opportunity to join scouts, don't go to church, and may not even have good parenting. School is a place where the most kids would be reached, which is why I brought it up.

Definitely not a simple solution though.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 AM

4,760 posts, read 6,406,696 times
Teachers could teach morality, honesty, and integrity until they're blue in the face, but without some sort of reinforcement at home, the teaching will be for nothing.

Church and Scouting are not always the best solution to this problem either, in my opinion. Sure, they may help, but you've got to take away the child's admiration of so many pop culture icons in order to change the thinking.

You and I may have learned most of what we know from books and experience. There are millions of kids out there who will get an education, but it will be from rappers and other celebrities that galomorize violence and general stupidity. You take away that admiration and you've got a chance to change the way a kid thinks.

That's just my half-awake opinion. Sorry if I was rambling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte