U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:16 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,334,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
Wonder how many VT college students present at the shooting scene felt uncomfortable that there was not someone inside the school who was armed and could possibly end the executions that were happening. There are many retired law enforcement and military people who teach at colleges. At the very least they should be able to carry.
Gee, yeah, getting shot in the crossfire is so much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 10:31 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,475,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
I just want to add that I DON'T go to school worrying about whether I am going to get shot and killed at school or get in a car wreck. You obviously didn't understand what I was saying, nevermind.
Could you clarify how it is that you feel then?

Quote:
No, it is not everyones cup of tea but it is also very easy for people to say what they would do until they are confronted with the situation.
That may be true but assuming that I wasn't the first one killed, I don't think that I would have any moral qualms about shooting someone who had no regard for human life.

Quote:
Have you ever been in a situation like that? I haven't and I have no idea what I would do.
Neither have I. But I know that I would not beg for my life & that if I was able to get a clear shot at the person I would take it.

Quote:
All I know is that I am not going to go buy a gun and learn how to use it just because I might be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
That's your choice. I hope you never have to find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time

Quote:
Personally, I think we are over reacting and there are other ways to combat this problem, and that is all I have to say. I'm done with this thread.
Its too bad that you feel this way. I'd like to hear about other ways to combat this problem.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:43 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,475,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Gee, yeah, getting shot in the crossfire is so much better.
Most people tend to get down on the ground, hide themselves or run away at the sound of gunfire, especially if they feel that its directed at them. People who have killed at schools don't seem to take that approach. They stand tall & proud as though they were invincible, & for all intents & purposes they are as there isn't anyone firing back. They also present an excellent target. Part of being a responsible gun owner is practicing with your gun. Hitting the target & grouping the shots together is the quickest way of dropping a target. I can't assume that someone wouldn't get killed in a crossfire, but who in their right mind is going to walk towards 2 people shooting at each other? The shooter will still be focused on shooting the unarmed students. The CCW holder is going to be focused on shooting the shooter. Anyone else in the area should be hightailing it out of there as fast as possible.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:11 PM

160 posts, read 358,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Why is it hard for you to understand that 20 year old kids can't legally carry and conceal firearms and furthermore can't even purchase them?!!?
then replace it with 21 yr olds, or 25 yr olds.

How many of the Vtech students were under 21 and therefore still unable to "defend themselves"?

Why can't people understand that there will always be crazy people out there. And no amount of guns will change that. In fact, when you add up all the accidental shootings (that we have no way to estimate, and people always assume won't happen), you'd end up with far more innocent deaths.

Face it, if you find yourself in math class staring down a nutjob with a gun, it might just your time to check out. Life is cruel sometimes and it surely isn't fair.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:42 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post

How many of the Vtech students were under 21 and therefore still unable to "defend themselves"?

Why can't people understand that there will always be crazy people out there. And no amount of guns will change that. In fact, when you add up all the accidental shootings (that we have no way to estimate, and people always assume won't happen), you'd end up with far more innocent deaths.

Face it, if you find yourself in math class staring down a nutjob with a gun, it might just your time to check out. Life is cruel sometimes and it surely isn't fair.
WHAT???? If someone is about to murder you "it just might be your time to check out"??? Now I've heard everything. No need to try to protect yourself folks - don't bother learning self-defense, or how to shoot a gun - it's all so much simpler...Just accept that it's your time to go!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

Old 04-23-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:

For your sake I PRAY no one you love and adore is ever murdered so that don't have to just "accept that it was their time to go".

Old 04-23-2008, 12:49 PM

160 posts, read 358,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
WHAT???? If someone is about to murder you "it just might be your time to check out"??? Now I've heard everything. No need to try to protect yourself folks - don't bother learning self-defense, or how to shoot a gun - it's all so much simpler...Just realize it's your time to go!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME????
I encourage eveyone to learn self defense.

Do you fly on airplanes and bring your own parachute? If it's your time to go, it's your time to go. Do you go in the ocean with a spear out of fear of being attacked by a shark?

There's millions of ways to die, death by crazy guy on campus is pretty far down the list. And we don't really need to be concerned with it.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:54 PM

330 posts, read 933,930 times
Does that "it might just [be] your time to check out" line of thinking also apply to illness? If so, that makes a great argument against socialized health care! Thanks for that!

To remain on topic, self-protection and safety reasons notwithstanding, I think this protest is doing a lot to spread awareness of natural law rights of the individual, and particularly of the limitations placed on government in their restrictions of those rights by the Constitution. I applaud these students and sincerely hope that this issue leads them to further study issues related to Liberty.

Maybe there is going to be a new kind of awakening on college campuses nationwide? Political movements often find their roots on college campuses, and it would be nice to see such a movement begin with a simple act of asserting the right to provide for one's own safety.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I encourage eveyone to learn self defense.

Do you fly on airplanes and bring your own parachute? If it's your time to go, it's your time to go. Do you go in the ocean with a spear out of fear of being attacked by a shark?

There's millions of ways to die, death by crazy guy on campus is pretty far down the list. And we don't really need to be concerned with it.
Dying as a result of an accident or illness is a whole different thing than dying at the hands of another. When a drunk driver murders someone with their car, they made a decision to risk hurting someone - same with other kinds of murderers - THEY MADE A CHOICE WHICH TOOK A LIFE. Diseases and accidents don't involve a selfish person making a malicious choice. In the case of a fatal cancer then yes, maybe it was your time to go. But when a 3rd party makes that choice for an innocent person this is heinous. And if having a concealed weapon could prevent the bastard from hurting anyone then I guess you could just say it was the murderers time to go.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:56 PM

330 posts, read 933,930 times
Quote:
... There's millions of ways to die ...
But not all of them are preventable by reasonable and practical means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte