U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:13 PM

830 posts, read 1,318,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
How old are you? Cause if you are out of high school, surely you have noticed that NO ONE can carry a concealed weapon into various places. Let's keep this discussion in the realm of reality here.
Quite mature there...

Regardless, in your "realm of reality" where is it OK to carry a concealed weapon on campus, and where is it not? Dorm? Classroom? Theater? Theater during a class? Dining Hall? Would schools, like municipalities, be able to post no-weapons policies where they chose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 03:18 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,685,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post
everyone who disagrees with you doesn't need to be educated. And as far as I can tell, there was no politics in my post.

How many people in the last 12 months have died from on campus shootings from crazy people? How many have died in the last decade?

Now, how many have died accidentily from firearm accidents from people around the country licensed to own and/or carry them, you know, hunting accidents, kids who find their parents guns and fire them by accients? You know, the stories that don't make the news?

I don't know the statistics, but I'd like to know. I would think that would be important information to have before you allowed 20 yr old kids to carry just to "protect" themselves from the once in a decade nutjob.

CGW (Carolina Guy's Wife) Here, I suggest you read the book Freakonomics, this book goes into great detail in regards to how many firearm related accidents there are. There are more drownings in pools, than there are deaths from fire arms, does that mean we will lean on Govco to tell us how to regulate a summer activity in our back yard?? I don't hear Rosie O'Donnell protesting people who dig pools!!!
Also, my Daddy has been a repo man all of his life, and you cannot sit down in any room of our house without a gun being within arms reach. These guns were not locked or out of a child's reach during my childhood. My parents instilled in us the sole purpose of a gun. You were never to aim a gun until you were SURE you were going to use it. We never had an accidental firing, or accident, and that is because we were taught how to handle guns, and to treat them with respect.

To this day, my Daddy does not go ANYWHERE (including church) without his sidearm, and I HOPE there are more people out there like him. I hate that we are about to move to Maryland and won't be able to carry. It is not those who legally obtain guns that we should be worried about...its the thugs who obtain them illegally and have no value for life.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,627,554 times
moderator note:

This thread is shy from being moved to politics and controversies.

KEEP THE POSTS LOCAL to keep this thread being closed or moved!!
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-23-2008 at 04:49 PM..

Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 PM

575 posts, read 1,352,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Gee, yeah, getting shot in the crossfire is so much better.
If your in a situation where someone is firing at a group of defenseless people you can continue to sit on your hands while someone steps up to end the madness and save your butt. Or you can just become a victim.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:42 PM

Yes, please let's keep this thread local so it doesn't get moved.

It has been interesting, nevertheless. On one side you have people who are willing to stand up for what is right, which is defend themselves, those they love, those they know, and those they don't know. On the other side you have people who can't get past their general feelings about guns, think only kids go to college, and only criminals and people suffering from mental health issues should be armed. After all, why level the playing field?

Bringing this topic back to Charlotte, this issue is very, very important. Charlotte is ranked 8th in the country for violent crime!! And guess where UNCC is located? In one of the most volatile areas of Charlotte--where these thugs are free to roam the campus and commit crimes ranging from car breakins to robbery at gunpoint. How is a university body (which includes professors, administration staff, students-of which many are 21 and over) supposed to protect themselves from these thugs when the police are not omnipresent?

We are not talking about once in a lifetime wackos going psycho on a college campus! We are talking about everyday crimes that occur weekly at UNCC where the thugs are given students and their property on a silver platter.

How many more people have to be robbed at gun point on UNCC's campus (or any other college campus) before the tides are turned? I venture to say not until one or more of these scumbags are buried 6 feet under by the hands of a legally armed individual--no matter what part of the student body they belong.

We are in a city (Charlotte and its surroundings) where crime has hit all time highs and there is no end in sight--at least not until multi-approached action is taken. We are dealing with incapable court systems, shortage of sworn officers, incompetent judges, an incompetent chief of police, a shortage of prosecutors, and an overwhelming amount of criminals who are continually released back on to the streets. Until all of these problems are ironed out, it is imperative that citizens of this city take their city back and a college campus should be no exception.

An armed campus body (which someone mentioned would likely result in only a handful of individuals CC'ing compared to the whole) is only one very small part of making this region safer.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:48 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Quite mature there...

Regardless, in your "realm of reality" where is it OK to carry a concealed weapon on campus, and where is it not? Dorm? Classroom? Theater? Theater during a class? Dining Hall? Would schools, like municipalities, be able to post no-weapons policies where they chose?
NC state has clearly outlined laws on where a firearm cannot be carried. And I meant what I said. I could not believe you were 21 or older if you were not aware of these regulations. I was asking a serious question. If you are a young person, then I can understand why you do not know these things.

If you seriously interested in finding out about these regs, I will try to find them and post them.

Last edited by brokensky; 04-23-2008 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-23-2008, 05:06 PM

830 posts, read 1,318,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
NC state has clearly outlined laws on where a firearm cannot be carried. And I meant what I said. I could not believe you were 21 or older if you were not aware of these regulations. I was asking a serious question. If you are a young person, then I can understand why you do not know these things.

If you seriously interested in finding out about these regs, I will try to find them and post them.
Just moved from Missouri, where concealed carry recently passed. I don't believe firearms were allowed in classroom buildings, for one...I'd be interested if dorm rooms would be considered private residences where CCW's would be allowed, especially if a roommate was in the picture.

We lived in a very urban neighborhood in St. Louis city, close to some really dicey areas. We had a very active neighborhood association, with police updates at monthly meetings. The mayor of St. Louis, police chief and city attorney were regulars at neighborhood meetings, because we made our voices heard. When I was an officer with the neighborhood association, I had our alderman (city councilperson), neighborhood police liason and other's phone numbers programmed into my cell phone...we had bike patrols in the neighborhood, bought the police a Vespa, distributed clubs, all that kind of stuff - but also refused to live in fear and hide in our houses. The more people out and about, the better...

Old 04-23-2008, 05:34 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Just moved from Missouri, where concealed carry recently passed. I don't believe firearms were allowed in classroom buildings, for one...I'd be interested if dorm rooms would be considered private residences where CCW's would be allowed, especially if a roommate was in the picture.

We lived in a very urban neighborhood in St. Louis city, close to some really dicey areas. We had a very active neighborhood association, with police updates at monthly meetings. The mayor of St. Louis, police chief and city attorney were regulars at neighborhood meetings, because we made our voices heard. When I was an officer with the neighborhood association, I had our alderman (city councilperson), neighborhood police liason and other's phone numbers programmed into my cell phone...we had bike patrols in the neighborhood, bought the police a Vespa, distributed clubs, all that kind of stuff - but also refused to live in fear and hide in our houses. The more people out and about, the better...
Thank you for giving some background. Sorry that it seemed we were at odds in an earlier post. Did you just move to NC? If so, WELCOME. DH was born in STL and altho I am an NC native, we moved back to NC from KCMO.

I totally understand that you would not be familiar w/ the NC laws re: concealed carry. Here is a link to the firearms laws in this state:

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Two excerpts:

"1. Schools
North Carolina General Statute § 14-269.2 provides that it is a Class I Felony
for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any gun, rifle, pistol,or other firearm of any kind, on educational property or to a curricular or extracurricular activity sponsored by a school. It is also a Class I Felony, for any person to cause, encourage, or aid a person who is less than 18 years old to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any gun, rifle, pistol, or other firearm of any kind, on educational property."

"A concealed handgun permit does not allow a permittee to carry a weapon on any school grounds. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.11(c)"

Although a perfunctory glance did not reveal specific info relating to dorms, for example, the statute does refer to "state buildings."

I hope this helps w/ clarifying the statutes re: guns and educational institutions in this state.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:57 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,484,494 times
Does anyone have a link to a college where CCW is permitted. It would be interesting to see how they have regulated the environments on campus where guns may be carried.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:09 PM

In case any of you did not visit the FAQ section of the Students for Conceal Carry on Campus: Students for Concealed Carry on Campus - ConcealedCampus.com

It addresses many of the issues and concerns we have been discussing in this thread.

Quote:
Q: What is a CHL, CHP, CCW, CCP?

A: A CHL is a Concealed Handgun License. A CCW is a Concealed Carry Weapons permit. Though different states chose to use one term or the other, they are effectively the same thing. These licenses are usually issued by the state to those who meet the age requirement, take a class, pass a written test and a shooting test, pass state and federal fingerprint and background checks, and pay a fee.

Q: Do you advocate every student and teacher carrying handguns on campus?
A: No, we simply want those individuals--age twenty-one and above, in most states--who possess valid concealed handgun licenses/concealed carry weapons permits to be afforded the same right to carry on college campuses that they are currently afforded virtually everywhere else.

Q: Why isn't the campus police force enough to keep campuses safe?
A: The Virginia Tech shootings clearly showed that a deranged gunman can do a great deal of damage in just the few minutes it takes campus police to arrive on the scene. Campus police simply cannot be dispatched in time to stop a madman from taking innocent lives. Only the people at the scene when the shooting starts--the potential victims--have the potential to stop such a shooting rampage before it turns into a bloodbath.

Q: I don't like the thought of college students carrying weapons in public.
A: In a few states license holders already carry on college campuses every day. In most states licensed college students are allowed to carry almost everywhere else. These responsible students already carry everyday, without incident, and there is no reason to believe they would demonstrate any less discretion or sound judgment if carrying on college campuses.

Q: Shouldn't people receive training before carrying concealed handguns?
A: In most states CHL/CCW holders have been educated and tested on both the basic rules of gun safety and the laws pertaining to carrying a concealed handgun, threatening to use deadly force, and using deadly force. They have also passed proficiency (shooting) test at a firing range.

Q: Can just anyone be licensed to carry a handgun?
A: No. Most states have strict rules on who can be issued a CHL.

For example, for a person to receive a concealed handgun license in Texas, he or she must:

- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have had no felony convictions during his or her lifetime and no Class A or B misdemeanors within the past 5 years
- Have had no domestic violence convictions within his or her lifetime
- Be a legal citizen of the United States
- Not be chemically dependent (ie. a known drug user or alcoholic)
- Not delinquent in child support payments
- Be legally allowed to purchase a handgun
- Have no court protective order or restraining orders against him or her
- Not have been diagnosed by a physician as suffering from a major psychiatric disorder or been hospitalized for psychiatric problems

As you can see, to be licensed a person must meet many qualifications to ensure they have conducted themselves in accordance with the law and are mentally sound.

Q: Don't some states allow citizens to be issued concealed handgun licenses at the age of 18?

A: Yes, among the thirty-six ‘shall-issue’ states*—states where local authorities cannot require qualified applicants to "show a need" before the applicant is issued a concealed handgun license/concealed carry weapons permit—six states allow, without special provision, for any person eighteen years or older to be issued a concealed handgun license. These states are Indiana, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, and South Dakota.

Based on the FBI/Department of Justice violent crime statistics for the year 2006, the crime rates for these six states, when ranked with all fifty states and the District of Columbia, rank as follows:

Indiana – 30
Montana – 42
South Dakota – 47
New Hampshire – 48
North Dakota – 50
Maine – 51

Not only are Maine, North Dakota, New Hampshire, and South Dakota four of the five** U.S. states with the lowest crime rates, Montana has the tenth lowest crime rate, and Indiana isn’t even in the top 50%. Clearly these states’ lenient concealed handgun laws are not breeding generations of young violent offenders.

The extraordinarily low crime rates in these six states, coupled with the fact that these states have a combined population of only about 10,900,000 (approximately 1.6 million less than the combined population of America’s two largest cities—New York, NY, and Los Angeles, CA—and at approximately 1/3 the combined violent crime rate of those two cities) has lead Students for Concealed Carry on Campus to focus on the majority of ‘shall-issue’ states where the minimum age to receive a concealed handgun license is 21.

*Alaska (licenses are offered but not required to carry a concealed handgun), Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming

**Vermont is ranked at 49—the third least violent state. Vermont neither requires nor offers a license to carry a concealed handgun.

Q: What about Vermont and Alaska, where a person can legally carry a concealed handgun without being licensed to do so? What about states that allow a person to openly carry a handgun without concealing it? What about teachers and administrators at elementary schools, middle schools, junior highs, and high schools who have concealed handgun licenses?
A: SCCC supports the legalization of CONCEALED carry by LICENSED individuals on COLLEGE campuses. SCCC has no official position on unlicensed concealed carry, open carry, or concealed carry on the campuses of primary or secondary schools.

Q: How can I learn about the Concealed Carry laws in my state?
A: The website Handgunlaw.us is a great resource for learning about Concealed Carry. It features a database of the relevant laws for each state.

Click here to view the answers to the most common arguments against allowing concealed carry on college campuses.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte