U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 05:48 PM

11 posts, read 37,929 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are purchasing a house in Brookhaven and relocating there from Cleveland in 2 months. My daughter will be starting kindergarten (Antioch Elem), but my son who turns 3 in September needs to start preschool at least 3 mornings a week. Does anyone have any good recommendations for preschools in the area? I don't care if it is a chain establishment (like a Kindercare type place) because my daughter went to a Kindercare here in Cleveland for preschool and loved it! So any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 07:00 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,230,585 times
It definitely depends what you want. There are many, many churches on that side of town that offer half-day preschool programs. Carmel Baptist is a very popular one. However, they can be very popular and not all of them run regular programming through the summer. My advice would be to figure out where you want him to go for the fall and get on some waiting lists if they're full, and then try to get in a summer program at the one you want. Also, the Y has camps even for that age if you can't find anything long-term.
I went through the same search about 6 months ago when we moved here. There are so many choices here; it just depends if you want church preschool or more of a daycare setting.
Does anyone know if there is a daycare-type place near Weddington Rd/McKee intersection? That area is growing so fast, I think that would be pretty close to the OP's location.
To the OP, if you'd like to PM me with more specific questions I'd be happy to help. Welcome in advance!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:26 PM

513 posts, read 1,915,893 times
Here are some of the most popular programs around:
Calvary Church preschool: Calvary Child Development Center
Also Carmel Baptist Wee School: Carmel Baptist Wee School, Matthews (Charlotte), NC
Also Matthews United Methodist Church Child Learning Center: Matthews United Methodist Church - Children Learning Center
Also Weddington Christian Preschool: Weddington Christian Preschool
All have excellent reputations and are probably full for the fall. But, get on a wait list soon!! People often get in off the wait lists. I have also heard good things about Bethany Academy:Bethany Church - Bethany Academy
Several people in the neighborhood use Kids R Kids (chain) which is just out the back entrance of the neighborhood at Potter and Chestnut Rds: Kids R Kids Child Care School South Charlotte, Matthews, Indian Trail, Weddington, Waxhaw, Stallings, North Carolina
Or Gateway Academy on McKee: Gateway Academy Child Development Centers | Welcome (http://www.gatewayacademy.com/maps/locations/charlotte.htm - broken link)

Old 04-26-2008, 05:29 AM

11 posts, read 37,929 times
Thanks for the info. I am checking out some of these websites. My problem seems to be that a lot of these are probably already full since registration was a couple of months ago. I do have a question - my son turns 3 on Sept 2, and some of these have a deadline of August 31 to be enrolled in the 3 year olds programs. Will he really have to go into the 2 year olds program or will they allow him in the 3 year old because he is so close to the cutoff date?

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2008, 07:41 AM

513 posts, read 1,915,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjeohio View Post
Thanks for the info. I am checking out some of these websites. My problem seems to be that a lot of these are probably already full since registration was a couple of months ago. I do have a question - my son turns 3 on Sept 2, and some of these have a deadline of August 31 to be enrolled in the 3 year olds programs. Will he really have to go into the 2 year olds program or will they allow him in the 3 year old because he is so close to the cutoff date?

Thanks!
I don't know about cut off dates and if they would make an exception, you would have to ask the individual schools. Most preschools follow the public school cut off date, which I think is sometime in October. So I think your son would get in. If the cut off is 8/31, maybe they would make an exception. If the dates have changed for the public school to 8/31, then I would just follow those. You'd want him to follow the school schedule anyway. As I mentioned in an earlier post, most of the popular preschools are full for the fall. But you should get on all the wait lists (they don't require a deposit), because you have a chance of getting in. We got in off a waitlist when we moved here! You could also try Evangel Christian Academy. Lots of people from Brookhaven go there and everyone has great things to say about it. It's on Weddington Rd very close to Brookhaven. Phone # 704-844-6620. Good luck and let me know if I can help you!

Old 04-26-2008, 10:14 AM

1,311 posts, read 4,230,585 times
I'm pretty sure the cutoff date is changing for public schools for the 2009 school year, so lots of preschools are shifting their cutoff dates, too, to match.
I doubt they would make an exception, though. My son is in a similar situation, although not as close as 9 days. That's rough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte