U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:51 PM

48 posts, read 427,489 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I always try to be brief in these posts, but I just can't seem to help writing really long messages--sorry about that! My main point is that I'm having trouble making a decision about an apartment, and I'm wondering if I should rely on reviews from apartment ratings.com. Here are the details:

My husband recently accepted a job in Charlotte, and his start date is June 2nd; we're planning to head out there from San Diego, CA at the end of May. He will be working downtown (or is it "Uptown" ?...well, his office is on West Moorhead), and I will be interviewing for a registered nurse position with CMC at their main hospital on Blythe Blvd. Anyway, we were out there a couple of weeks ago for my husband's interview, during which time I drove around Charlotte and looked at a lot of prospective apartments/townhouses for us to rent (details below).

Although my husband's boss said we should look in the Dilworth area, we immediately realized that was out of our price range, so I started driving around South Charlotte and Matthews, and the price seemed right (we're looking for 2BR and want to try to stay under $1000, if possible, but we could go up as high as $1200 if we had to).

After touring several places, I went back with my husband to a place called Providence Square, which is a rental townhome community, and there were seemingly nice 2 and 3 BR townhomes for under $1000, available to move into when we need them, and the surrounding area appeared very nice (near Sardis Ln and Providence Rd), with a short commute time to my husband's office. Of course, just driving through the area for a day doesn't tell me too much about how good / safe the area is (for a professional couple in their late 20s/ early 30s with no children), so I thought about asking for advice from the lovely and helpful people here .

The reason I am asking now is because I just checked the reviews on apartment ratings.com and saw that this particular complex has a 38% satisfaction rate, with most people saying they can't wait to get out. Now, I know that usually people only complain on this kind of site--if people are happy, they might just not say anything at all. Also, this complex just underwent a change in management, and my husband and I really aren't super-picky tenants. The only thing that really concerned me was the fact that someone's place had been broken into, another tenant spoke of the area as being "high crime", and I just want to be sure we're going to be in a safe area.

So, for those of you who stuck with me and read my whole long post , I would so much appreciate any input you might have on Providence Square Community (now owned by Berkshire Properties), this area of Charlotte, and/or an area close to where my husband and I will be working that is safe and has 2BR rentals for under $1200. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 07:32 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,546,369 times
My parents lived in Strawberry Hill apartments for about 7 years -- I think it's worth checking out. Just a bit closer to town on Providence Road.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:34 PM

797 posts, read 2,979,304 times
Providence Square is across the street from low income housing. Also the apt's that are beside them (Laurel Walk) has a lot of crime. There were some shootings there. If I were you, i'd pick somewhere else.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:14 PM

48 posts, read 427,489 times
Default Thanks so much

Thank you very much for your help. It's really tough finding a place from across the country, and obviously one weekend in Charlotte isn't enough to get to know the city, so I really appreciate the feedback.

It's amazing how nice the area appeared at first glance, I think especially because it was only minutes from some huge, beautiful housing developments, but I know in some cities, areas can change from really nice to pretty bad almost immediately.

I think we will take your advice and look into Strawberry Hill Apartments to see if they have what we're looking for. Thanks again, and I'm definitely open to any other advice or suggestions.

Has anyone ever rented a place long-distance (as in, signed papers via fax/internet and not even seen the place until they moved in)? That sounds kind of risky....But then, so does getting out there and living in a hotel (not to mention expensive). Any suggestions on the best way to go about this? Should we research via phone/online from San Diego, stay in a hotel when we first get to Charlotte, and then sign a lease & move in after we see the place? Thanks for any help!

Old 04-23-2008, 08:24 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,669,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLeigh0916 View Post
Thank you very much for your help. It's really tough finding a place from across the country, and obviously one weekend in Charlotte isn't enough to get to know the city, so I really appreciate the feedback.

It's amazing how nice the area appeared at first glance, I think especially because it was only minutes from some huge, beautiful housing developments, but I know in some cities, areas can change from really nice to pretty bad almost immediately.

I think we will take your advice and look into Strawberry Hill Apartments to see if they have what we're looking for. Thanks again, and I'm definitely open to any other advice or suggestions.

Has anyone ever rented a place long-distance (as in, signed papers via fax/internet and not even seen the place until they moved in)? That sounds kind of risky....But then, so does getting out there and living in a hotel (not to mention expensive). Any suggestions on the best way to go about this? Should we research via phone/online from San Diego, stay in a hotel when we first get to Charlotte, and then sign a lease & move in after we see the place? Thanks for any help!

You are correct that that area is extremely nice; however, Providence Square is within a pocket of deterioration in this area. In fact, there is talk about revitalizing the area because of the value of the surroundings. Here are a couple links to previous threads that will give you more insight of the area including Providence Square:

Rumor at Olde Providence

Providence Square

Old 04-24-2008, 06:08 AM

797 posts, read 2,979,304 times
How old are you guys? Do you have any kids? I'm trying to think of other suggestions of places. I'm a native so I know the area quite well.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:39 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,863,939 times
I used to live in Providence Square (if you would like details DM me), I would suggest Strawberry hill as much better, a co-worker of mine lives there at the moment.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:41 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
I would highly suggest Strawberry Hill, as well. We rented for six months while DH was here and I was back in KS waiting to sell our home. Great management company - very responsive. DH had client uptown and his commute was fine. There is some stop-and-start in that area for a commute, but nothing horrific. Strawberry Hill is well-maintained and any call to management brought immediate assistance. Nice patio in back, too. And grocery store and other conveniences close by. This is where we would lease again if we ever needed to.

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:30 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,669,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I would highly suggest Strawberry Hill, as well. We rented for six months while DH was here and I was back in KS waiting to sell our home. Great management company - very responsive. DH had client uptown and his commute was fine. There is some stop-and-start in that area for a commute, but nothing horrific. Strawberry Hill is well-maintained and any call to management brought immediate assistance. Nice patio in back, too. And grocery store and other conveniences close by. This is where we would lease again if we ever needed to.

Good luck!
Definitely well-maintained. My uncle has had that landscaping contract with Marsh for over 20 years. I used to cut that grass myself!

Strawberry Hill is a safe, very private, laid back, pedestrian and family friendly, and in a prime location.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Definitely well-maintained. My uncle has had that landscaping contract with Marsh for over 20 years. I used to cut that grass myself!

Strawberry Hill is a safe, very private, laid back, pedestrian and family friendly, and in a prime location.
How neat! The grounds are kept in immaculate order - my shrubs around the apartment were even regularly pruned.

I am very happy w/ our home here, but DH and I sometimes think that perhaps we should have stayed at Strawberry Hill a bit longer and checked out the area more . . . cause if we had been thinking things through . . . in retrospect we may have chosen to live around Lake Wylie somewhere.

We were that comfortable at SH - and had terrific neighbors - and felt very safe. I do highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or