Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 06:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,776 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any good mountain retreats for african americans or some where the atmosphere is great?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 06:54 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbrnhoney View Post
Does anyone know of any good mountain retreats for african americans or some where the atmosphere is great?
Do you want to stick to NC mountains or head to VA or over to TN? Are you here in CLT now (just thinking about routes to get to VA or NC mountains). Are you looking for a resort or more of a quiet cabin w/ jacuzzi? Want entertainment nearby? Looking for day trips or solitude?

How long a drive are you willing to put in to get to your destination? Any children?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:14 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
I'm kind of confused by your request, as I believe all mountain retreats are good for all kinds of Americans

What are you specifically looking for?

Old 04-24-2008, 01:05 PM

279 posts, read 887,485 times
Quote:

Why do you feel the need to say ,"for african americans?" Who cares what color you are? The last time I went to the mountains they allowed everyone who had a little time to enjoy themselves! Personally, we love to take our horses and camp at Cataloochee. It's part of the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. Cades Cove is really nice also.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,776 times
sometimes color does make a different, relocated to nc from sc. looking for a moutain vacation for the entire family, adults and children. we are thing about thanksgiving in the mountains.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
sometimes color does make a different, relocated to nc from sc. looking for a moutain vacation for the entire family, adults and children. we are thing about thanksgiving in the mountains.
With a wide variety of ages like that you'd probably want to stay near to Asheville for a variety of things to entertain everyone. Have you considered renting a home for the whole family, or do you specifically want a resort setting? I have a resort in mind, but I'll have to direct message you with the link since we can't advertize here

In any case, I'm sure you'll have a good time in the Asheville area, no need to worry about the race thing at all.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 04-27-2008 at 10:11 PM..

Old 04-28-2008, 06:50 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,142,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
With a wide variety of ages like that you'd probably want to stay near to Asheville for a variety of things to entertain everyone. Have you considered renting a home for the whole family, or do you specifically want a resort setting? I have a resort in mind, but I'll have to direct message you with the link since we can't advertize here

In any case, I'm sure you'll have a good time in the Asheville area, no need to worry about the race thing at all.

Wait - that's not advertising, is it? That's just giving a recommendation, like all those threads with people asking for the best pizza place, or chinese food, or builder, or blahblahblah. I wanna know what resort you have in mind, too!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are great areas for families. Lots of accommodations, many things to do . . . restaurants and shopping. I would think about those areas if you don't find what you want in the Asheville region.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post

Wait - that's not advertising, is it? That's just giving a recommendation, like all those threads with people asking for the best pizza place, or chinese food, or builder, or blahblahblah. I wanna know what resort you have in mind, too!
I could have said the name of the place, Scenic Wolf Resort, but you cannot put links to individual places like that in your posts or it will be considered "advertizing". I wanted to be able to give her the link so she wouldn't have to search for it, so I dm'ed her

Old 04-28-2008, 10:20 AM

616 posts, read 1,751,262 times
Quote:
You might think of heading towards Franklin, NC for Thanksgiving weekend. Franklin is a small town, very friendly, don't give a hoot your color or nationality. Franklin is 3.5 hours away from where we are in Gastonia.

Your family can easily find a large "cabin" fully equipped so you can cook a feast, have lots of room to spread out and enjoy, and have a dishwasher to clean up afterwards. There are several craft and gift events around Franklin that weekend, you'd be near Cherokee where there's gambling and shopping, and I think Franklin starts their holiday celebration that weekend too, with a parade, tree lighting, Main Street lighting and stores open.

Franklin's mountains are big, not the foothills, and there's some spectacular scenery, especially since the leaves will be down. There'd be hiking and sightseeing to do.

When we have Thanksgiving in Franklin we're always surprised by how nice the weather is - often sunny and blue skies during the day and cool at night, so a fire ring outdoors is enjoyable. Toasted marshmallows and s'mores, yum.

The Chamber of Commerce is very helpful - you can tell them what you're thinking of and they can help with ideas. They have a web site also, just Google "Franklin Area Chamber of Commerce Macon County North Carolina" and you'll find it.

Have fun!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte