Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 06:11 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about using railroad ties to do some terracing on a hill.

In the past, hubby and our sons have done that themselves. But sons are not available now . . . so we are wondering if anyone has recommendations for someone who would do this type of landscaping work at a good price.

Contacting a landscaping company is not an option b/c of cost. We know how to do what needs to be done - just need some physical labor help.

Also - has anyone priced out ties lately and can give a rec on where we can get the best price?

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated! TIA!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 06:20 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am thinking about using railroad ties to do some terracing on a hill.

In the past, hubby and our sons have done that themselves. But sons are not available now . . . so we are wondering if anyone has recommendations for someone who would do this type of landscaping work at a good price.

Contacting a landscaping company is not an option b/c of cost. We know how to do what needs to be done - just need some physical labor help.

Also - has anyone priced out ties lately and can give a rec on where we can get the best price?

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated! TIA!!!!
Hey Ani, I'd check to see if you can even get the treated ties anymore. Lowes has some really nice stone/stone-look blocks that I'm considering using to replace a wooden retaining wall.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Hey Ani, I'd check to see if you can even get the treated ties anymore. Lowes has some really nice stone/stone-look blocks that I'm considering using to replace a wooden retaining wall.
I know that they changed the law on the substances that can be used to treat them so you may be right - they may no longer be available. The last time we bought ties was in the early 90s to use on mountain property.

I prefer the stone blocks, too, but hubby figured it would be cheaper to terrace using ties.

Well shoot. This may not be a method we can even use if the treated ties are not available.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I know that they changed the law on the substances that can be used to treat them so you may be right - they may no longer be available. The last time we bought ties was in the early 90s to use on mountain property.

I prefer the stone blocks, too, but hubby figured it would be cheaper to terrace using ties.

Well shoot. This may not be a method we can even use if the treated ties are not available.
I know that the treated ties are banned in Jersey, but don't know about here.

I have some real Belgian blocks that were once part of Germantown Ave, but not enough for a project. I've looked at Lowes & I'm really considering some of what they have there. The price isn't bad.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 8,368 times
The home Depot probably has the best ties.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorLawn View Post
The home Depot probably has the best ties.
Thank you, Superior! We will go check over there. I will do some research about creosote and how the ties are treated, cause I sure don't want to put something in the ground that is gonna rot in a few years.

Now to find someone who can help put them in . . .

Old 07-11-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I know that the treated ties are banned in Jersey, but don't know about here.

I have some real Belgian blocks that were once part of Germantown Ave, but not enough for a project. I've looked at Lowes & I'm really considering some of what they have there. The price isn't bad.
No, the price is not outrageous for the product. We were looking for something faster that we could get done w/ some help. Hubby just can't deal w/ lugging the blocks, digging, putting in the drainage, etc and I can't either. The blocks are beautiful, tho. We have seen some that were very natural looking. And I have also seen some gorgeous designs for outdoor spaces using different types of blocks. I think it would add a lot to a home to use them.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
No, the price is not outrageous for the product. We were looking for something faster that we could get done w/ some help. Hubby just can't deal w/ lugging the blocks, digging, putting in the drainage, etc and I can't either. The blocks are beautiful, tho. We have seen some that were very natural looking. And I have also seen some gorgeous designs for outdoor spaces using different types of blocks. I think it would add a lot to a home to use them.
Oh, I understand, totally.

I'm looking at replacing untreated wood.

I don't know how steep the area is, but I had some brick-work done at the old house & what they did to allow for drainiage might work for you, without having to lay drains. DM me when you decide which way to go.

Also, if you don't get someone local, let me know & I'll check with my people in Morgantown.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:28 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Ani, sending you an e-mail

Old 07-11-2009, 09:22 PM

Thanks to all of you! Gonna see about materials . . . Now, get hubby to figure out when he wants to get this started . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: