U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:49 PM

41 posts, read 58,135 times

Advertisements

My husband and I would like to move from San Francisco to the Charlotte area, but are not familiar with the neighborhoods.

We want to move to NC to be closer to his parents in Asheville. We also like the fact that housing is much more affordable than California.

Here are some details. Can you help us with some recommendations?

-Budget for home $200,000 range for a 3 bedroom home. Reasonable expectations, not expecting a lot for this price.
-Older homes are fine and I actually find them charming
-Could be somewhere where it is commutable between Asheville and Charlotte. I know that is very broad, but since our businesses are flexible (he opens a school, I work from home), that gives us options.
-We need to be close to a community with college students/adults interested in animation careers to support a computer graphics/animation school (my husband's business). Artsy community is a plus.
-Safe, good schools in the area for future kids.
-Tolerant - somewhat nervous about being an interracial couple (I'm Asian - he is caucacasian)
-Would like homes with a yard, not right next to each other.

Thank you!

Last edited by HeadedEastAndGladOfIt; 04-24-2008 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 12:57 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedEastAndGladOfIt View Post
My husband and I would like to move from San Francisco to the Charlotte area, but are not familiar with the neighborhoods.

We want to move to NC to be closer to his parents in Asheville. We also like the fact that housing is much more affordable than California.

-Budget for home $200,000 range for a 3 bedroom home. Reasonable expectations, not expecting a lot for this price.
-Could be somewhere where it is commutable between Asheville and Charlotte. I know that is very broad, but since our business are flexible, that gives us options.
-We need to be close to a community with teen/college age kids to support a computer graphics/animation school (my husband's business). Artsy community is a plus.
-Tolerant - somewhat nervous about being an interracial couple

Thank you!
Did you just not want to be in Asheville for some reason? Cause that is the "arts" community you are looking for . . . there are communities around Asheville wh/ may have housing in your price range, but b/c this is "mountain" property, just not sure how likely that would be . . .

You could consider one of the counties that has easy access back to I-40 to drive to A'ville. That would include Burke Co (Morganton, Valdese) and Catawba Co (Hickory, Newton). Dont know how supportive those communities would be for an animation school. Hickory may fit your profile but I just don't know if you will have the demographics there to support an animation school for kids.

Last edited by brokensky; 04-24-2008 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-24-2008, 01:01 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,708,844 times
My vote would be to move to Asheville! While I love Charlotte...my dad's side of the family is from Asheville and talk about a truely artsy fartsy, avante garde, trendy, funky downtown!

Old 04-24-2008, 01:07 PM

Default Asheville is beautiful

I actually prefer to live in Asheville or Hendersonville, but my husband is worried about the community demographic being heavy on retirees and not enough artsy kids. He doesn't believe that a Computer Graphics or Animation School would be successful there. Charlotte has some video game companies based in the area and he thinks that students will be drawn to the area. Thanks for the advice. I will look into those counties!

Old 04-24-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I actually prefer to live in Asheville or Hendersonville, but my husband is worried about the community demographic being heavy on retirees and not enough artsy kids. He doesn't believe that a Computer Graphics or Animation School would be successful there. Charlotte has some video game companies based in the area and he thinks that students will be drawn to the area. Thanks for the advice. I will look into those counties!
Keep doing your demographics research . . . and hopefully you will be able to narrow down a community.

You may consider Belmont, as this would put you where you can get back to Asheville . . . but I honestly do not know about the houses in the $200,000 range there. However, this is a really charming area and still close to CLT.
Let me also address your concern about being an Asian/Caucasian couple. That will not be noticed here. As in - truly - not even noticed at all. Asians have been in this region for a long time and there is nothing novel about it, LOL. The only notice it may get is w/ people wanting to know where your family is from and if you can share some of your customs and traditions w/ them. Any curiosity will be from genuine interest, and not prejudice.

Last edited by brokensky; 04-24-2008 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-24-2008, 01:51 PM

Default Good to hear

Thanks for the recommendation on Belmont. Coincidentally, we live in Belmont, CA. We will need to dig in to find out where a school is sustainable. We are able to afford a house in a higher range, but since the school business in a new area is so unpredictable, we thought it better to have virtually no mortgage to worry about. I'll start looking at average prices.

I am relieved about the Asian/Caucasian acceptance. In California, it is so multicultural I have had no worries, but some of our friends raised it as a concern.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation on Belmont. Coincidentally, we live in Belmont, CA. We will need to dig in to find out where a school is sustainable. We are able to afford a house in a higher range, but since the school business in a new area is so unpredictable, we thought it better to have virtually no mortgage to worry about. I'll start looking at average prices.

I am relieved about the Asian/Caucasian acceptance. In California, it is so multicultural I have had no worries, but some of our friends raised it as a concern.
Wouldn't that be a hoot - if you moved from Belmont, CA to Belmont, NC? LOL! Love it!

I think you are very wise to be conservative w/ your home purchase. Why start off w/ a daunting mortgage hanging over you?

I wish I could direct you to some sources that would more clearly define how your H's animation school would work here . . . does he have any interest in teaching, such as - community college?

Last edited by brokensky; 04-24-2008 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-24-2008, 02:20 PM

Default Belmont for Belmont

LOL. That would be a hoot. You are so helpful. My husband did consider teaching at a college and even called a university, but he said they were not helpful. He does not have his masters degree, but has worked with some very well known feature animation studios. It seems that universities are less inclined to go after accomplished professionals and require the degree. A technical/trade school of his own seemed like the next logical step. Maybe he can find a post on an animation site to ask about the community in North Carolina.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:29 PM

I would contact Central Piedmont. They recognize the value of hands-on experience - and there are some areas that a BFA cannot compensate for experience. I would think animation would be one of those areas . . .

About CPCC — Central Piedmont Community College

I bet if you find the list of instructors at CP, your DH could identify some instructors who would be quite willing to talk to him and give him ideas, leads and resources. Keep making those phone calls. I am a writer and networking really is the key to success when one is in the arts!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:41 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,341,109 times
Boy if there ever was a place that reminded me of San Fran in North Carolina....Asheville is the place! (I felt like I was reverted back to the 70's the first time I went up there)!

Hey there HEAGOT (sorry..but you have a log name ) I'm originally from California. Ani has given you a really good suggestion in Belmont, NC (nice quaint town, yet in close proximity to quite a bit).

I was also going to throw out there where we live..which is in York County, SC (Tega Cay, SC off of Lake Wylie in the Fort Mill area)...we are just outside of Charlotte, NC (City of Tega Cay). While it is not directly between Asheville and Charlotte it is still a very easy drive to Asheville, NC from here (it takes me a little over 2 hrs. to get there...well, 2 hours and 15 mins. to be exact). It is very family friendly, we have quite a few artist's living in our community, good schools, safe. Also near by is Rock Hill, SC (York County) which is the home of Winthrop University and York Tech. The only other requirement is the love for the outdoors...and that your nice! (just kidding...you don't have to love the outdoors)

Quote:

-Could be somewhere where it is commutable between Asheville and Charlotte. I know that is very broad, but since our businesses are flexible (he opens a school, I work from home), that gives us options.
-We need to be close to a community with college students/adults interested in animation careers to support a computer graphics/animation school (my husband's business). Artsy community is a plus.
-Tolerant - somewhat nervous about being an interracial couple (I'm Asian - he is caucacasian)

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or