Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:20 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times

Advertisements

You could always get a Varmint Rifle for those cats!

The success of an invisible fence has multiple variables: breed of dog, breed of owner , quality of invisible fence, and proper training.

Trust me, if I had not trained my dogs properly they would have no problem trying to get out. I can leave my mastiff on the front porch while we are across the street, while kids on skateboards are riding by, or while people walk their dogs past our house only 15-20 feet away, and all he does is lay there crying and shaking because he wants to go play so badly with the company passing by.

Italian Mastiffs are known for their imperviousness to pain (except for their ears), so I'd say the Innotek is a pretty strong indicator of keeping in the toughest breeds.

Last edited by carolina_guy; 04-25-2008 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 02:38 PM

Also, like Sunny said, they are very easy to repair or expand. The wire is b/ 16-18 gauge and you can by weatherproof/underground wire connectors for just a couple bucks for a pair. Very easy to splice. You can also create zones--say you have a large flower bed in the middle of your yard and you don't want your dogs peeing on your plants, etc. I've cut mine on a couple of occasions with an aerator and with a shovel. No problem!

As far as the DYIs go, don't settle for a cheap brand at PetSmart. The best one out there is indeed Innotek and they guarantee their product! They also have longer nodes to contact skin of long haired breeds.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:52 PM

999 posts, read 4,651,484 times
If you have a small yard consider the Wireless fence....link here:
PetSafe Wireless Instant Fence by Radio Systems - Training & Behavior - PetSmart

I used mine for about 3 years (still works fine) but our yard here is long and narrow and with the control settings I was not able to give my dog as much room front and back as I would have liked, and he was still able to get to the side of the neighbors house to pee on it....so we went with the do it yourself fence where I have to bury the wire (half of it is still just laying on the ground, unburied....)

I loved my little wireless fence, it worked great for our 1/4 acre in CT, it can be set to up to a 90 foot radius around the unit that plugs into your house.
I know this doesn't help the OP, but others have mentioned being interested, so I thought it might help someone else out there.

As someone else mentioned, my dog won't get within several feet of the beeping zone.

Also, this type of unit continues to shock when the pet leaves the area (for 30 sec or so) but stops when the pet returns.....an incentive to return, vs being afraid of being shocked again upon returning with a regular electronic fence.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 7,253 times
Smile Electronic Fence HELP!!!

We just installed an e-fence and are feeling REAL guilty and mean right now! We're crying more than the dog! I was wondering what you meant by training "thoroughly and completely"? We did not purchase for an additional $700 the "professional training". We want to try it ourselves. Any advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Our property had an Invisible Fence installed when we bought the house. The wire is sturdier than the kind at Petsmart or Lowes and we have had to make a few repairs. After a lightening strike we had to replace the control box with the brand sold at Lowes but we used the existing wire. We have more than .5 acres fenced.

As for their effectiveness?? Do the training...thoroughly and completely...no shortcuts!! We have been here 4+ years and it has worked very well for our beagles. They do not cross the line, not even to chase deer or rabbits. They were each zapped a few times early on but not since.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg425 View Post
We just installed an e-fence and are feeling REAL guilty and mean right now! We're crying more than the dog! I was wondering what you meant by training "thoroughly and completely"? We did not purchase for an additional $700 the "professional training". We want to try it ourselves. Any advice?
Please tell me you didn't install a fence and expected your dog to just know it's there??? Maybe you should wear the collar and test it out.

Proper training means proper training. You should have installed flags to denote the boundary of the electrical field. Then you must take steps to teach your dogs of a new boundary. This could take days to weeks depending on the breed of the dog and the breed of the human. Do you not have a training manual?

Old 08-01-2008, 11:41 AM

Ok, here's my Good Samaritan deed of the day, but it comes with a "Bless Your Heart" so....

Bless Your Heart.

Go to this link for a complete length video on how to properly train your dog. When they talk about using plastic pieces for initial training, just remove the prongs on your collars or cover with electrical tape if you collars do not come with dummy nodes.

Choose the video on the right that says: Fence Training

ULTRASMART - INNOTEK -Quicker Training. Better Dogs. (http://www.innotek.net/ultrasmart/ultrasmarthome.htm - broken link)

Old 08-01-2008, 03:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
lord those who just think that a dog will just know there is a invisible fence there.

Kinda like throwing a piece out of raw bone out in the road and expect a dog to know after being hit by a car that it will know not to do it again. Dogs are not human they dont have that kind of senses you have to train them just like you would do to have it to sit or no bark.

Great samaritan work above

Old 08-01-2008, 03:43 PM

810 posts, read 2,291,475 times
from the wife,
Two of our neighbors have an invisible fence but it is not the type that you have to place in the ground. You plug the device in your home(our one neighbor has it plugged in her family room in the outlet) the dog wears the collar w/ the small device and you can program it to a certain radius for your property.You can make the radius as big or as small as you want. I'm not sure how big but our properties are on .5 acres and the dogs cover most of their acreage. About two years ago it was about $285. It really does work as I am a witness. We just recently got a puppy and we are thinking about getting one when he gets older and is potty trained. The nice thing about this invisible fence is you can take it w/ you if you move or travel to someones home and need to keep him in the yard.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,253 times
Default Misunderstook Dog Fence Person!!!

Please let me explain....obviously you misunderstood my question Carolina Guy..... We had the fence PROFESSIONALLY installed with a multitude of purple flags on the boundary. The thing we didn't do after spending $1275 to install it, was pay another $700 for PROFESSIONAL training. They told us if we paid close attention, we could do it ourselves. I was just fishing around for some CONSTRUCTIVE help with someone who maybe walked the walk before us. Thank you for link, however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Please tell me you didn't install a fence and expected your dog to just know it's there??? Maybe you should wear the collar and test it out.

Proper training means proper training. You should have installed flags to denote the boundary of the electrical field. Then you must take steps to teach your dogs of a new boundary. This could take days to weeks depending on the breed of the dog and the breed of the human. Do you not have a training manual?

Old 08-01-2008, 08:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
NO matter if you installed it professionally or had a amatuer do it you will still neeed you dog trained unless you enjoy the deer in head light look coming from the dog as it yelps.

I think the statement above is constructive considering it telling one of the best options for you.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post

My dog is a sheltie (pic in profile) and those are easily trainable dogs.
She will not step one foot near the "beep zone" of her collar zone with now that she is trained in what the consequence is of her ignoring the collar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte