Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 10:55 AM

117 posts, read 385,810 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a position working off Rea Road. I currently live in Withrow Downs and I'm wondering how the commute will be on 485 in the morning. Anyone have any experience doing this drive? How long would it take? Is it a good or bad commute? My hours will be either 8-5 or 9-6Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 12:02 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighBound View Post
I have been offered a position working off Rea Road. I currently live in Withrow Downs and I'm wondering how the commute will be on 485 in the morning. Anyone have any experience doing this drive? How long would it take? Is it a good or bad commute? My hours will be either 8-5 or 9-6Thanks in advance!!
Traffic moves...but that is a good little way. It is a round beltloop...so you have to swing all the way out to Mint Hill, Matthews and then back into Charlotte.

I would say it will take you 35-40 minutes with no rain or wrecks.

Once you reach Providence Rd...you can prepare for a big time slow down...maybe even a crawl!

It will not be that bad...and you will get use to it!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Traffic moves...but that is a good little way. It is a round beltloop...so you have to swing all the way out to Mint Hill, Matthews and then back into Charlotte.

I would say it will take you 35-40 minutes with no rain or wrecks.

Once you reach Providence Rd...you can prepare for a big time slow down...maybe even a crawl!

It will not be that bad...and you will get use to it!
Wow that's a good little ways! Uugghhh We are renting so I might need to look into finding a location that will be an equal distance for both of our jobs. FYI DH works off of HWY 49... Any suggestions of centrally located areas? We would be renting, preferrably a house $1200 or less....thanks!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Wow that's a good little ways! Uugghhh We are renting so I might need to look into finding a location that will be an equal distance for both of our jobs. FYI DH works off of HWY 49... Any suggestions of centrally located areas? We would be renting, preferrably a house $1200 or less....thanks!
Honestly you will get use to it. That is probably an average commute in Charlotte.

Where on Hwy 49. Towards University City (North) or (South) towards Lake Wylie?

Mint Hill would probably be about 1/2 ways for the 2 of you...if they work in University City.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Honestly you will get use to it. That is probably an average commute in Charlotte.

Where on Hwy 49. Towards University City (North) or (South) towards Lake Wylie?

Mint Hill would probably be about 1/2 ways for the 2 of you...if they work in University City.
Oops I'm new here and I forgot 49 goes South But yes he's in University City area.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Oops I'm new here and I forgot 49 goes South But yes he's in University City area.
Mint Hill is nice if you go far enough out. Would not suggest Mint Hill area that borders Charlotte.

I like where you guys are. You are 1/2 ways between University City & Harrisburg/Concord.

You will get use to the commute...after a week or 2 you will get use to it. That commute time is probably average in Charlotte.

PS - What is up with the screen name? Just curious.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Mint Hill is nice if you go far enough out. Would not suggest Mint Hill area that borders Charlotte.

I like where you guys are. You are 1/2 ways between University City & Harrisburg/Concord.

You will get use to the commute...after a week or 2 you will get use to it. That commute time is probably average in Charlotte.

PS - What is up with the screen name? Just curious.
Well I was going to move to Raleigh but then changed my mind. I've been wanting to change it since I'm in the QC but don't know how to do it!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Well I was going to move to Raleigh but then changed my mind. I've been wanting to change it since I'm in the QC but don't know how to do it!
You made a better decision to come to Charlotte. We moved here from Raleigh and could not wait to get out of Raleigh. Talk about a city that rolls its side walks up at 6pm. It would be a very good place to raise a family...but that is it. Also Raleigh caters to college kids on Hillsborough St and that is about it for things to do in Raleigh.

Hopefully Raleigh has gotten better...but we moved there from Washington, DC & Atlanta and Raleigh was just to slow.

WELCOME to Charlotte!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte