Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 06:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Burglary in Piper Glen

Please do not reply to this email.

There was a burglary in Piper Glen on April 22, 2008. The suspects gained entry by forcing open a door at the rear of the residence. There are several factors that are leading us to speculate that the residence was not randomly targeted. They are:

· The only area of the home targeted was where jewelry was stored.

· The victim has had several contractors doing work in her house and recently hired a new cleaning service.

· The residence was left unattended for only 55 minutes before the crime was discovered.

· The alarm was not activated.

· This M. O. (method of operation) has not been seen in other burglaries.

Burglary detectives will be following up on leads provided by the victim.

Although burglaries in the South Division are up for the year, we experienced a 35% downward trend during the last 28 days as compared to the previous 28 days. We believe that the arrests and continued incarceration of several groups of burglars is driving this trend and we are optimistic about how these arrests will affect the year to date totals in the division.

The summaries of these significant arrests are as follows:

·******* As I reported in the last bulletin, we apprehended a group that we felt was responsible for the “garage door opener” burglaries. Although we have yet to connect them to similar cases, there have been no new cases with this M. O. reported.

·******* You may recall seeing a highly televised police pursuit involving a white pickup towing a trailer in the northern part of the county. Three suspects were arrested. These individuals are very prolific burglars in the Charlotte Metro area and are suspects in cases in the South Division and neighboring Independence Division.

·******* Two members of the group doing the “front door kick-in” burglaries are currently incarcerated on burglary and other charges.

Bonds on these individuals are relatively high at this time due to their lengthy criminal histories. If these individuals are released, they will receive GPS equipped ankle bracelets and be electronically monitored by our department.

Please continue to practice sound crime prevention techniques and continue to report suspicious behavior to 911.*

I will keep you updated with any changes.

As always, thanks for your support.

Best regards,

Captain R. M. Golding,

CMPD South Division
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 08:32 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
This statement doesn't fill me with much confidence.
Quote:
If these individuals are released, they will receive GPS equipped ankle bracelets and be electronically monitored by our department.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:04 AM

450 posts, read 2,320,919 times
If they are released???? Why, oh why, would they release them any time soon!!!! They have lengthy criminal histories, this means they'll DO IT AGAIN.

About the Piper Glen burglary. I didn't know he residence was vacated for only 55 minutes, so apparently it happened over a very small time frame. It sure sounds like it was the cleaning service or other contractors who'd been there doing work.

I will say this....whenever we've had people working in our home, I do always put my jewelry away. When we were selling our home, same thing, I packed up the valuables and put them somewhere else so they wouldn't be there.

If they know who did work at the lady's house they should be hunting every last one of them down and questioning them.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:41 AM

716 posts, read 2,157,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post
If they know who did work at the lady's house they should be hunting every last one of them down and questioning them.
Seriously... See if anyone's made any large deposits or purchases lately...

I got that email too and I'm just not sure if it's hype devised to placate the masses, or if anything's actually improving. I will remain skeptical!

(Also I like the disclaimer at the end about continuing to practice "sound crime prevention techniques!" LOL)

Old 04-25-2008, 10:51 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
They may want to have a talk with her jeweler too.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:37 AM

755 posts, read 2,492,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post
If they are released???? Why, oh why, would they release them any time soon!!!! They have lengthy criminal histories, this means they'll DO IT AGAIN.
It's not a matter of if they are released, but when they are released. They WILL be bonded out. They will probably get probation for their crimes.

They have lengthy criminal histories, yet they were free to commit more crimes.

Welcome to Mecklenburg County.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:26 PM

160 posts, read 401,533 times
well if the jails weren't full of all those people serving 10+ yrs for having a few oz. of pot on them, maybe we'd have room for these guys.

contact your congressman about needed space for real criminals and make jails primarily for violent offenders and thieves. Or request an increase in taxes for more prisons. I know which one I'd prefer.

regardless, at least the police are investigating in charlotte. I know in FL, police don't even waste their time with simple breakins.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:43 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post
well if the jails weren't full of all those people serving 10+ yrs for having a few oz. of pot on them, maybe we'd have room for these guys.

contact your congressman about needed space for real criminals and make jails primarily for violent offenders and thieves. Or request an increase in taxes for more prisons. I know which one I'd prefer.

regardless, at least the police are investigating in charlotte. I know in FL, police don't even waste their time with simple breakins.
North Carolina has plenty of prison space. The problem lies in the judicial system with some of these hard time felons spending 10 months in jail before they are sentenced to prison. Mecklenburg county even has it's own crime lab for DNA processing, which is a state responsibility. The state is backlogged over a year for DNA processing, so Mecklenburg county residents are getting double-taxed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte