Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 06:08 PM

9 posts, read 15,734 times

Advertisements

I know charlotte was just awarded at the end of last year a new Major League soccer stadium but I see that the new charlotte MLS team will be sharing their home games with the NFL team the Charlotte Panthers at their football stadium which houses 75,000 fans. I think this is kind of dumb because their are going to be situations where a lot of those new Charlotte MLS fans will not fill up all the seats at Bank of America stadium. So to build a soccer specific stadium for the new MLS Charlotte team doesn't that make more sense since you have other US cities like Nashville, Miami, Cincinnati, Austin getting their own separate soccer specific stadiums which house at least 20,000 fans should’nt that be enough soccer fans to fill up a MLS stadium? Speaking of the NFL’s Carolina Panthers Bank of America stadium is getting pretty old I don’t think it has that many years left in it unless the city wants to keep upgrading the stadium the venue was built in 1996. I think tepper said within 10 years he wants to have the Panthers have a new retractable roof stadium to also share with the new MLS team. I disagree once again I think that the MLS team should have their own soccer specific stadium but Atlanta has a NFL and MLS team playing at the Mercedes Benz Stadium so maybe it could work out. Last but not least do you think Charlotte could support a Major League Baseball team in the next decade or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 09:39 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
I don't know whats going to happen with the stadium(s). What the powers that be do is out of my control whether I approve of what they do or not.

No I don't think MLB will be coming here and nor do I think the city can support a team.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:34 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Bank of America Stadium opened in 1996 indeed. The costs for future upgrades and renovations may exceed costs for the construction of a new stadium. A new stadium that can be used for both National Football League and Major League Soccer could be a wise idea.

Major League Baseball will expand to Charlotte in the future. It is realistic to see a club in the American League.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:08 PM

9 posts, read 15,734 times
I see so it definitely makes sense for the MLS team to not have their own separate soccer specific stadium they should definitely share a new stadium with the NFL”s Carolina Panthers. The thing I’m wondering though is like will a lot of soccer fans show up for the Charlotte MLS team depending on how big the new stadium will be which will also house the NFL team. What if it’s like at least 50,000 seats? Would’nt it be much better to have like 20,000 fans or 25,000 fans for the MLS charlotte team? Once again Nashville, Miami, Cincinnati, Austin, have their own new soccer specific stadium and speaking of Nashville they have their own NFL stadium for the Tennessee Titans so they won’t have to share a new stadium with the MLS Nashville team. I hope I’m making sense here. My thing is what if a lot of those Charlotte MLS fans don’t show up for the new stadium they happen to share the Panthers should Charlotte think about building a stadium that has less fans than like 50,000 to cut it down to 25,000? I do want to see the MLB come to charlotte the question is their room for a stadium to be built Downtown since the Minor League Baseball team BB&T Ballpark is located in the city.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:17 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFutureDestination9341 View Post
I see so it definitely makes sense for the MLS team to not have their own separate soccer specific stadium they should definitely share a new stadium with the NFL”s Carolina Panthers. The thing I’m wondering though is like will a lot of soccer fans show up for the Charlotte MLS team depending on how big the new stadium will be which will also house the NFL team. What if it’s like at least 50,000 seats? Would’nt it be much better to have like 20,000 fans or 25,000 fans for the MLS charlotte team? Once again Nashville, Miami, Cincinnati, Austin, have their own new soccer specific stadium and speaking of Nashville they have their own NFL stadium for the Tennessee Titans so they won’t have to share a new stadium with the MLS Nashville team. I hope I’m making sense here. My thing is what if a lot of those Charlotte MLS fans don’t show up for the new stadium they happen to share the Panthers should Charlotte think about building a stadium that has less fans than like 50,000 to cut it down to 25,000? I do want to see the MLB come to charlotte the question is their room for a stadium to be built Downtown since the Minor League Baseball team BB&T Ballpark is located in the city.
Teams sharing facilities is not new.. the Phillies and the Eagles shared Veterans Stadium for the entire time that the stadium existed. The 76ers and the Flyers also shared the Spectrum at the same time.

Sports facilities cost money. Do you know of a pot of gold?

Old 05-07-2020, 01:28 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,260 times
Last I heard is that Major League Soccer does not like stadium sharing and wants each team to have it's own stadium? Has that changed. I do know that Atlanta FC shared Mercedes Benz stadium with the Falcons but is that permanent or temporary?

Old 05-07-2020, 02:09 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
Last I heard is that Major League Soccer does not like stadium sharing and wants each team to have it's own stadium? Has that changed. I do know that Atlanta FC shared Mercedes Benz stadium with the Falcons but is that permanent or temporary?
Atlanta FC sharing Mercedes Benz is not temporary. MLS also signed the deal with Tepper knowing he intended to make the most $ off the Bank of America Stadium asset and had no plans to build a second stadium. He was rich enough and the right partner so they compromised on the stadium preference and are allowing co-location with the Panthers.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:30 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFutureDestination9341 View Post
There's "room" but that "room" would likely consist of demolishing the already-existing BB&T Park, building a MLB-viable facility that would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $700-800 million or more, and then re-configuring the infrastructure because the current footprint would have to be expanded to make room for MLB standards, likely pushing this projects overall price tag into billion-dollar territory which the taxpayers of Mecklenburg County will be footing the bill for.

If you want to go see an MLB game, your best bet is to head down south on I-85 to Atlanta and see the Braves. Or if you want to be adventurous, Nationals Park in D.C. is a great stadium.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:50 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,419,665 times
It depends on just how much money the people in charge of spending our money want to spend that they dont have .

Old 05-08-2020, 03:42 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
It appears that the 20 acre Charlotte Pipe property near uptown and South End are finalizing a deal that would relocate that entire facility (450 employees) to the Oakboro area of Stanly county. Also, it appears that Tepper has offered Charlotte Pipe $30 million for their property near uptown. All of this has long been rumored, but details are now starting to become public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte