U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 04:42 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,311,457 times

Advertisements

I was looking around Charlotte (North and South) and noticed that most of the houses (0-6 years old) are built with cheap vinyl siding - even if the home cost in the low $300K's. What's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 04:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
cost of brick and cost of cement for mortar is not as cheap per sq ft as back in 20th century.
BIA Southeast: Commercial Wall Cost Comparisons
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 04-26-2008, 05:04 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
I was looking around Charlotte (North and South) and noticed that most of the houses (0-6 years old) are built with cheap vinyl siding - even if the home cost in the low $300K's. What's up with that?
Well, actually vinyl siding isn't cheap - just cheapER than brick or hardi plank. With the high cost of building these days it just helps to keep costs down when developers go with vinyl siding - this happens everywhere that is booming with new construction, not just Charlotte. By the way, siding these days is much improved over the old kinds of vinyl initially on the market years ago - it can last for decades and sure beats having to paint every 3 years

Old 04-26-2008, 06:59 PM

797 posts, read 2,979,304 times
Heck in South charlotte you'll find houses in the $400's with vinyl siding. I think it's crazy too.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:06 PM

529 posts, read 1,801,314 times
Much cheaper than bricking all 4 sides. A lot have vinyl on 3 side and brick/rock on the front. Save a good deal of $ and still gets the same results. It would be nice to have all brick, but that is just not affordable for a lot of people.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:32 PM

452 posts, read 2,124,519 times
As has been said- it's cheaper than brick, and the biggest draw is not having to paint it!

But I get what you are saying...there comes a certain price range at which you might expect brick or something more appealing to the eye. (It's all a matter of opinion, like hardwoods vs laminate flooring vs tile).

I just like the low maintenance factor/energy efficiency. A relative lives on a golf course in a $600k house with stucco, and has nothing but trouble. I could buy a new home for the $$$ estimated damage from the problems with her stucco. But brick on the other hand....I know what you mean, I don't know why houses in a certain price range have vinyl when they could have brick.

I know people who do actually like the way vinyl looks. I also know people who prefer formica. Yes- formica. They could afford granite or other stone, or even corian, and they choose formica.

Oh and just to clarify, our current home has vinyl siding. Our previous home was wood and it was time to paint, and it was awfully hot, so we had vinyl siding put on and it added value to the resale of our home (it was not a high end home), and it kept our house cooler in the summer and warmer in winter. We knew someone who installed it for us for barely above the actual cost of the vinyl (not much labor fee) so, it really helped us on resale. The buyer loved it, he was looking for a low maintenance home and we sold our home last year (October) after it being on the market for less than a week.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:38 PM

452 posts, read 2,124,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cball75 View Post
Much cheaper than bricking all 4 sides. A lot have vinyl on 3 side and brick/rock on the front. Save a good deal of $ and still gets the same results. It would be nice to have all brick, but that is just not affordable for a lot of people.
This is ONLY my opinion and not meant to be insulting because I know it's very common, but I personally really really dislike the look of vinyl on 3 sides with brick on front. I say, go all vinyl or all brick. To each his/her own- my husband likes houses in vinyl with brick on the front. (He hates granite counters, they're my favorite etc)..

Old 04-26-2008, 07:51 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,432,978 times
I actually like vinyl all the way around. Its definitely less maintenance than replacing clapboards & painting.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:53 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,621,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, actually vinyl siding isn't cheap - just cheapER than brick or hardi plank. With the high cost of building these days it just helps to keep costs down when developers go with vinyl siding - this happens everywhere that is booming with new construction, not just Charlotte. By the way, siding these days is much improved over the old kinds of vinyl initially on the market years ago - it can last for decades and sure beats having to paint every 3 years

I'm not sure I have ever seen a home with vinyl in Phoenix, just slump block, brick or stucco. I think it would melt off......Just had to add my 2 cents. That was another adjustment to me besides the no block walls, I wasn't really fond of the vinyl look but it was growing on me.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:03 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,668,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I actually like vinyl all the way around. Its definitely less maintenance than replacing clapboards & painting.
Barkingowl - I agree! I was reading my old NJ hometown paper's RE section and all the "starting at only $749,000" houses were vinyl-clad.
We're spoiled here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte