Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:08 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,531 times

Advertisements

Well Gang. It's a done deal. I'm packing up the junk and moving south. I'll be driving a moving van towing a trailer (with a car) and my family and fiance driving our other 2 cars. Like I said, we have alot of junk.

What is the best way to go? I've done the rt95 route many times but am scared of NYC, Washington and Richmond with the truck and trailer. Mapquest pointed me through VA by rte 81 which on paper looks alot easier, but is it really hilly and dangerous? (especially in early Jan)

Thanks again everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 10:19 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,833,378 times
Steve,

I would recommend the 81 route. I used to work for First Union waaay back when and have to drive back and forth from Jersey to Charlotte on the Weekends. Interstate 81 is a further distance but is less traffic than 95 etc.

I can't remember if there were a bunch of hills etc but it was a much pleasant drive.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:35 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,544,684 times
Agreed on I-81. I drove from Boston->Charlotte a few months ago and mapquest told me highway 81. Although everyone told me why I didn't take I-95 (shrug- because mapquest didn't tell me?!?). Anyway PA and VA are very pretty farm like, scenic drives. But if I had to do it again I'd take I-95 as I think I'd make better time...

Leave the brunt of the artic front behind

Have a safe trip!

Old 12-08-2006, 10:46 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
Well Gang. It's a done deal. I'm packing up the junk and moving south. I'll be driving a moving van towing a trailer (with a car) and my family and fiance driving our other 2 cars. Like I said, we have alot of junk.

What is the best way to go? I've done the rt95 route many times but am scared of NYC, Washington and Richmond with the truck and trailer. Mapquest pointed me through VA by rte 81 which on paper looks alot easier, but is it really hilly and dangerous? (especially in early Jan)

Thanks again everyone
Interstate 81 is a MUCH better choice. It only really gets hairy the last few miles of Virginia as you are crossing into NC. Other than that it is not at all too hilly or curvy. Plus it is so much more scenic and a lot less congested. We go this way all the time now after once spending what felt like a week one day stuck in Wastington D.C.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:10 PM

543 posts, read 1,824,735 times
When we moved all of our junk down here from Sutton MA, we took the pike to 84S to 81S to 77S and it took us about 15 hours. We hit some torrential rains in PA and VA which slowed us down for a bit though. Much better drive than 95, hardly any traffic or congestion once you get off of 84.

Good luck on your trip,

Mark

Old 12-08-2006, 01:47 PM

Thanks gang. 81 it is. Should be an interesting ride. This is the most stressful part of the whole deal for me. At least I'll have a mini convoy and all my tools should we run into car problems.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:50 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Thanks gang. 81 it is. Should be an interesting ride. This is the most stressful part of the whole deal for me. At least I'll have a mini convoy and all my tools should we run into car problems.
Happy trails! Hope you have a safe journey and enjoy the view along the way. Welcome "home" by the way

Old 12-08-2006, 03:30 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,544,684 times
Quote:
Well it seems your in Virginia FOREVER. But I tell you when you see the "Welcome to North Carolina" sign, you'll be VERY happy!

Old 12-08-2006, 10:06 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,377,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Well it seems your in Virginia FOREVER. But I tell you when you see the "Welcome to North Carolina" sign, you'll be VERY happy!

LOL!!! Soooo true!!! VA & PA as well are long rides, but it is a much better route. I lived right off of I-84 in NY & that's how we drove to NC. We only did I-95 once & will never do it again, the ride south of DC to Mooresville, NC was horrible!!

Word of warning...mind the speed limit in VA!! There are state troopers everywhere & they will stop you if you are exceeding the speed limit by more than 5 mph. Also the ride over the mountains from VA to NC can be a bit hairy at times. Just take your time & enjoy the ride!

WELCOME to NC!! Where are you moving to?

BxRosie

Old 12-11-2006, 10:15 AM

Right now we're renting in Davidson but we'll probably buy in Mooresville because of the lower taxes and better schools (from what I've heard). I think I'll be poking along the whole way with my 22ft moving truck pulling my car on a flatbed behind it. And I've never driven with a trailer before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte