Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2006, 05:43 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,526 times

Advertisements

We are probably going in to contract soon to build a house, and I was interested in hiring a home inspector to come several times during the process to inspect the home. Since we aren't in Charlotte and don't know anyone there, we have no idea how to find one. Are there inspectors that specialize in new home construction? If someone has hired one that did several inspections, did you pay for it all up front or was each inspection scheduled and billed seperately?

Since we won't be IN Charlotte while the house is being built (at least not at first) it would be hard to know WHEN to send the inspector over and at what stages.

Anyone else deal with this, do you have any advice? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 06:08 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,954 times
Bankrate advises that you hire someone certified by the American Society of Home Inspectors. Their website maintains a list of certified inspectors by zip code. Go to ASHI dot org. Maybe talk to three of four inspectors and they can guide you through the process.

Good luck.

SL

Old 09-06-2006, 09:07 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Bankrate advises that you hire someone certified by the American Society of Home Inspectors. Their website maintains a list of certified inspectors by zip code. Go to ASHI dot org. Maybe talk to three of four inspectors and they can guide you through the process.

Good luck.

SL
I will do that, thank you!

Old 09-06-2006, 09:08 AM

240 posts, read 1,022,012 times
The inspector has certain phases that they will go out and inspect the home. Wiring, before drywall, prior to closing, etc. If you get an experienced inspector, they will be able to tell you all of that upfront and give you reports. At the end, I had a entire book on the inspections and how to take care of the house.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:01 AM

483 posts, read 1,567,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
We are probably going in to contract soon to build a house, and I was interested in hiring a home inspector to come several times during the process to inspect the home. Since we aren't in Charlotte and don't know anyone there, we have no idea how to find one. Are there inspectors that specialize in new home construction? If someone has hired one that did several inspections, did you pay for it all up front or was each inspection scheduled and billed seperately?

Since we won't be IN Charlotte while the house is being built (at least not at first) it would be hard to know WHEN to send the inspector over and at what stages.

Anyone else deal with this, do you have any advice? Thanks so much.
We just had our home inspected by Housemasters in the Charlotte area. My husband said that he was impressed by the thorough job they did. The inspector went through every little aspect of the house, right down to the grout lines in our bathroom tilework. He had even taken pictures of the minor problem areas and made a very detailed report which was then emailed to us. We've used Housemasters here in NY when we had purchased our home several years ago and we were very happy with them as well. They do a really good job, but I'm sure that there are other reputable ones as well. Bottom line, spend the money because it's definitely worth every dollar, especially if you're from out of state like we are. Good luck!

Old 11-24-2006, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,394 times
Default Home Inspections

I am purchasing a home in Sun City in Lancaster County and have used RPI Inspecting & Consulting as have several others. I knew nothing of the construction process and these inspectors gave me an education I could have only hoped for. I would highly recommend them. There number is 803 246-5568

Old 11-29-2006, 08:57 PM

47 posts, read 165,630 times
One good way to find an inspector is to google "city state home inspector"

charlotte nc home inspector
rock hill sc home inspector

Old 12-25-2006, 07:19 PM

44 posts, read 175,899 times
What are the going rates for a home inspector in the Charlotte area? Do they charge by the square foot - can you select them for just one part of the process (i.e. pre drywall, finished product etc). I'm very new to this and curious!

Old 12-26-2006, 07:17 AM

47 posts, read 165,630 times
Yes, some offer pre-drywall inspections, some do not because it requires more knowledge than typical existing home inspection requirements.
New construction needs 3 to 4 trips usually. At least one trip will be to verify that the predrywall items were corrected. The most I have seen properly corrected by a builder is 70 percent of the items reported. They gamble on the inspector not coming back to check up.

Less than 10 percent of new homes are professionally inspected by an independent private inspector when purchased. This leaves a lot of problem houses on the market after a few years. Fees are based on square footage and the age. Let me know if I can help more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte