U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:24 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,850,835 times

Advertisements

Oh there is LOTS of opportunity here and I think it's a GREAT place to live! They just really need to get a handle on this crime before it gets out of control.

5 houses in my neighborhood have been robbed in the past couple months. There are less than 100 homes in my subdivision. That's a lot of homes!

I don't like having to keep a loaded gun close by and I sure as heck don't EVER want to have to use it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 06:56 PM

672 posts, read 1,644,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
What's going on with all the crime? It certainly seems to be on the rise! Little scary. At least 5 homes in my neighborhood have been broken into in BROAD DAYLIGHT! At least one of them was on the news too. Stole the garage door opener and just helped themselves.

I'm at home by myself during the day and I'm a little freaked out. I've been keeping a loaded gun in my desk drawer when I'm on the computer.

Is Charlotte going to become like Atlanta? Huge economic growth and then....well you know Atlanta isn't all that safe anymore

What are your thoughts on this?
So odd that you started this post today as on our outings today, I turned to my husband and said, I think Charlotte is turning into what Atlanta is." We've spent a good amount of time there and well the similarities of late are a bit shocking to me as when we first moved to Charlotte I did not feel that way at all.

To further your statement a bit, my husband and I sat down and looked at the criminal rap sheet of the guy who killed the 92 year old woman. That guy had 40 plus arrests dating back to 1983. Yes, 25 years of criminal activity here in Charlotte. Guess what, some of the crimes on his record like, breaking and entering, larceny, running a chop shop, assault on an officer, and so on, all DISMISSED. Can you believe that? My feeling how can they fix crime when this is the way that it is handled? There is the proof that this has been going on for a long time. Enough is enough, really. WE need tougher officials, stronger judicial system, and someone who says we aren't going to tolerate this anymore. Driving home today there were 8 bullet holes in the 485 exit sign a half mile from my home. Enough is enough. Those bullets could have hit someone after they went through the sign.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:18 PM

11 posts, read 29,095 times
Quote:
Oh there is LOTS of opportunity here and I think it's a GREAT place to live! They just really need to get a handle on this crime before it gets out of control.

5 houses in my neighborhood have been robbed in the past couple months. There are less than 100 homes in my subdivision. That's a lot of homes!

I don't like having to keep a loaded gun close by and I sure as heck don't EVER want to have to use it!
I don't trust single-family homes these days. The fright from a home invasion is something that never goes away, and living afraid of the closet monster is a real stress builder. A good number of my friends got robbed here in Houston, all home invasions through smashed windows. It's a real horror-movie kind of situation. I'll definitely find myself some mid-rise where the only way in is through a solid door.

I hear Charlotte has a great outdoors sports civic group. Is that true? It would be a great way to plug in with people outside family. Also, how safe is the center city? Would I be paranoid waiting for a bus on weekday evenings?

Old 04-27-2008, 09:24 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,909,689 times
desirous, very interesting article! Thanks for sharing. Try this link:

The Next Slum?

They mention the Windy Ridge subdivision in Charlotte (try Google). What I found interesting is their forecast of the major trend towards urban, center city living and away from suburban large lot isolated car-dependent living. This weekend we drove through Connecticut and had to search for gas < $4.00 !! Gas prices are reaching the point where people's driving habits will have to change. We just made a last minute decision to buy in Birkdale rather than relatively isolated country club subdivisions because we preferred an area where we had a walkable downtown area even if it is "faux urban".

I also enjoyed the article's reference to the old movie, "Escape from New York" which obviously also inspired my username.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:56 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,706,633 times
Quote:
What's going on with all the crime? It certainly seems to be on the rise! Little scary. At least 5 homes in my neighborhood have been broken into in BROAD DAYLIGHT! At least one of them was on the news too. Stole the garage door opener and just helped themselves.

I'm at home by myself during the day and I'm a little freaked out. I've been keeping a loaded gun in my desk drawer when I'm on the computer.

Is Charlotte going to become like Atlanta? Huge economic growth and then....well you know Atlanta isn't all that safe anymore

What are your thoughts on this?
A home is burglarized somewhere in the US once every nine seconds. A city of 100 thousand will average two burglaries a day. Burglaries tend to occur in clusters. Sounds like it's not turning into the next anywhere if that's the strongest example you can give.

Actually I live in the third world land of rude people and there has never been a home or car broken into in my neighborhood but that doesn't mean that it is immune. I bet within two miles from me some kind of burglary has probably taken place within the past month, being that the area is populated by homosapiens. And that would actually be pretty good considering how many people live within two miles from me.

Now if we were talking about five home invasions (robbers storm into house with force, draw guns on the owners), then you would be on to something. However break ins and burglary sprees have been occurring for many years in all urban centers, it's just a matter of luck really. I feel lucky that my neighborhood isn't like that, but somebody's neighborhood here must be like that, because I see all of the threads from people in my area thinking they can escape from the risk of property crime.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:25 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,449,188 times
Quote:
At least 5 homes in my neighborhood have been broken into in BROAD DAYLIGHT!
The majority of home break-ins DO take place during daylight (and conversely, car break-ins increase at night)

Old 04-27-2008, 11:28 PM

11 posts, read 29,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
The majority of home break-ins DO take place during daylight (and conversely, car break-ins increase at night)
That makes perfect sense, because homes are occupied during nighttime and cars are not. Bedroom communities with working adults are ripe for picking during daytime. Since burglars have cars, technically any home faces a baseline of danger. Safe single-family neighborhoods mostly depend on a feeling thereof than any physical factor that makes them safer than other areas.

That makes for very high emotional combustibility, so to speak -- that is, it wouldn't take much to mess up such an aura.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
desirous, very interesting article! Thanks for sharing. Try this link:

The Next Slum?

They mention the Windy Ridge subdivision in Charlotte (try Google). What I found interesting is their forecast of the major trend towards urban, center city living and away from suburban large lot isolated car-dependent living. This weekend we drove through Connecticut and had to search for gas < $4.00 !! Gas prices are reaching the point where people's driving habits will have to change. We just made a last minute decision to buy in Birkdale rather than relatively isolated country club subdivisions because we preferred an area where we had a walkable downtown area even if it is "faux urban".

I also enjoyed the article's reference to the old movie, "Escape from New York" which obviously also inspired my username.
Thanks!

Another factor driving people toward urban living is congestion itself. It's no surprise the most walkable cities tend to be ones that ignore their freeways.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:29 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,850,835 times
I don't live in an Urban area. I live in Union County in a very nice subdivision. The examples I gave are not my only cause for concern. The crime rates are spiking.

Maybe trying to control the growth would help? I do not think there are enough police. And obviously these loopholes and slap on the wrists that many of these repeat offenders are getting is a huge problem as well.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:56 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,920,434 times
I am trying to figure out the premise here . . . a query about CLT becoming the next ATL. Seems we are basing the discussion on A. growth and B. crime.

The way cities grow and develop has more to do w/ the economy of the regions and the gov't that controls incentives given to those companies who want to do business in the area . . . and how taxes are levied . . . and what ordinances are passed . . . zoning . . . In other words, seems to me the growth of an area depends more on the government in that area - working w/ the companies doing business there . . . than any other factor. People are drawn to (or stay) in a region if there are jobs . . .

Yet, this discussion seems to be only about crime. Surveys are showing that crime is rising all over this country, and it is not exclusive to CLT. We have some thugs who are out there and appear to be especially menacing, brazen and arrogant. So yes, that is troublesome . . . but maybe the criminals are becoming more that way all over the country. I don't know b/c I am not living somewhere else, LOL. But to just pick out ATL . . . I don't know.

I am not sure we are discussing anything here that is based on facts or any kind of real comparison b/n the two cities. Personally, ATL is so much larger, I think there is no way to compare the two cities, except perhaps if one is looking at housing and neighborhoods . . . and maybe w/ jobs and unemployment rates.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:43 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,700,332 times
From a former midtown Atlanta resident...let me tell you that Atlanta has always had a high crime rate. Especially after the Olympics came to Atlanta. All walks of life moved to Atlanta. Is Charlotte gonna become the next Atlanta...I don't think so. I think Charlotte will be better than Atlanta and learn from some of their mistakes. Since Charlotte is so close to Atlanta...I think Charlotte has watched Atlanta for years and has tried to learn from some of their mistakes. At least we can hope so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte