Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,472 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to Charlotte, NC area this summer. I have focused on the Union County schools as they appear to be really good. I understand the taxes are cheaper in Union county. My youngest will be entering 10th grade in the fall. With all the various subdivisions, is there a particular subdivision that has attracted more families with school age children? I really want to live somewhere where my son will be able to make some friends. Do any of the schools in Union county have a bad or good reputation regarding the friendliness of the student body?

Thanks!

(I already have a relocation realtor lined up, so no need to inquire about this.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 12:14 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellerpamela View Post
We are looking to relocate to Charlotte, NC area this summer. I have focused on the Union County schools as they appear to be really good. I understand the taxes are cheaper in Union county. My youngest will be entering 10th grade in the fall. With all the various subdivisions, is there a particular subdivision that has attracted more families with school age children? I really want to live somewhere where my son will be able to make some friends. Do any of the schools in Union county have a bad or good reputation regarding the friendliness of the student body?

Thanks!

(I already have a relocation realtor lined up, so no need to inquire about this.)
Where is the job located? If there is a commute involved that will be helpful to give you the best advice. Over the years we've had people inquire about Union County ovnly to later find out that the job is in an area that would guarantee a hellish commute.

Old 06-02-2020, 02:17 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
The quality of the schools in Union County (like much of the country) has a direct correlation to home prices. The more you pay, the better the school tends to be. In general, the western half of Union County (nearer to Charlotte) tends to have higher ranked schools than the eastern half. You're going to be dealing with high schools primarily, so Marvin Ridge HS, Weddington HS, and Cuthbertson HS would probably be at the top of the rankings. But the houses that feed into these schools can get very pricey.

southbound_295 is spot on about the traffic. Rush hour is not a pretty sight in the Charlotte Region. A lack of cross-streets and endless cul-de-sacs ensure slow moving traffic on the main drags. An accident on one of these primary roads tends to create an instant parking lot. I've formulated a rule over the 15 years I've lived here, that for every 20 miles you have to commute to your job, it will take you a minimum of an hour to get there. YMMV.

Since so many people move to the area, new students are always part of any high school. As long as your child has average or better social skills, he or she will probably fit right in, in short order!

It would be very helpful if you could give us a price range for your home and the location of your employment so we can further aid you in your move.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:16 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:

Thanks!

Many kids in the UC schools are from other parts of the country and they see many new faces every year.
Based on my kids experience, of the 2 top HS's (Marvin, Weddington) I would say Marvin HS seems to be a bit more cocky (more spoiled brats).

If you go for a large subdivision, your son will make friends easier among neighbors. Playing sports it is also a nice way to be part of a team and easier integrate.

Old 06-02-2020, 06:18 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
The quality of the schools in Union County (like much of the country) has a direct correlation to home prices. The more you pay, the better the school tends to be. In general, the western half of Union County (nearer to Charlotte) tends to have higher ranked schools than the eastern half. You're going to be dealing with high schools primarily, so Marvin Ridge HS, Weddington HS, and Cuthbertson HS would probably be at the top of the rankings. But the houses that feed into these schools can get very pricey.

southbound_295 is spot on about the traffic. Rush hour is not a pretty sight in the Charlotte Region. A lack of cross-streets and endless cul-de-sacs ensure slow moving traffic on the main drags. An accident on one of these primary roads tends to create an instant parking lot. I've formulated a rule over the 15 years I've lived here, that for every 20 miles you have to commute to your job, it will take you a minimum of an hour to get there. YMMV.

Since so many people move to the area, new students are always part of any high school. As long as your child has average or better social skills, he or she will probably fit right in, in short order!

It would be very helpful if you could give us a price range for your home and the location of your employment so we can further aid you in your move.
Thanks, Emissary. I still remember the poster who wanted all of the lowdown on the Union County schools and the developments. It turned out that her husband's job was in Uptown, and her job was in Greenville, SC. When we tried to steer her west of Charlotte, she went ballistics and never came back.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:32 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thanks, Emissary. I still remember the poster who wanted all of the lowdown on the Union County schools and the developments. It turned out that her husband's job was in Uptown, and her job was in Greenville, SC. When we tried to steer her west of Charlotte, she went ballistics and never came back.

sb -You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink! I remember looking at houses online in NC before I retired and looked at a nice house in Statesville thinking it's just a couple of miles outside Charlotte. My "Jersey sense of distance" looking at maps just didn't work in North Carolina. But I learned!

Old 06-03-2020, 01:05 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:

Thanks!

You might consider:
Brookhaven Matthews, NC. Weddington schools..
https://youtu.be/G68VFO6gaLA
Lots of HS age students. Top shelf amenities. I think lots may have been all built out. Subdivision started in 2004. I think homes start mid-400s up to 800k. Homes sell fast, sometimes in days with multiple offers. Available inventory is low but there are recent listings. This just listed in past week;

https://www.allentate.com/property/4...hews-nc-28104/

Last edited by ZnGuy; 06-03-2020 at 01:31 PM..

Old 06-04-2020, 09:45 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
You might consider:
Brookhaven Matthews, NC. Weddington schools..
https://youtu.be/G68VFO6gaLA
Lots of HS age students. Top shelf amenities. I think lots may have been all built out. Subdivision started in 2004. I think homes start mid-400s up to 800k. Homes sell fast, sometimes in days with multiple offers. Available inventory is low but there are recent listings. This just listed in past week;

https://www.allentate.com/property/4...hews-nc-28104/
Just to add to this, the Brookhaven neighborhood has banner of WHS grads and there are 60 senior grads in the neighborhood to give you idea on demographics.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:53 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
In looking at Union County, NC on Wikipedia, it appears to be a really very fast growing county. And the statistics show that it's a very well rounded place--just diverse enough.

Good luck to finding a new home there. There's noting like feet on the ground to find a home and community.

Old 06-16-2020, 03:15 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
In looking at Union County, NC on Wikipedia, it appears to be a really very fast growing county. And the statistics show that it's a very well rounded place--just diverse enough.

Good luck to finding a new home there. There's noting like feet on the ground to find a home and community.
Union County stats on Wikipedia don’t tell the whole story. The area with the most growth and schools mentioned is WESTERN Union County, closest to Charlotte. The rest of the county (south of Waxhaw and North and west of Monroe) are still primarily rural.

Well-rounded and diverse only matter as it applies to your immediate area, which you won’t find on Wikipedia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte