U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2008, 05:18 PM
 
1,242 posts, read 3,662,896 times
Reputation: 199

Advertisements

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a private jet to take us shopping? ha!

I saw the cutest magnet sign the other day in a gift shop it read, "I want it all and I want it delivered!"

 
Old 04-28-2008, 05:51 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,034,397 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a private jet to take us shopping? ha!

I saw the cutest magnet sign the other day in a gift shop it read, "I want it all and I want it delivered!"
But then . . . where would we put it all?

I don't know about you, but does any house have enuff closets?????
 
Old 04-28-2008, 06:21 PM
 
49 posts, read 311,705 times
Reputation: 31
Default Nah, you're way off

Funny post. Your description sounds more like the "Boston Brahmens (?)" than the folks I know. My wife's family moved here in 1942. Her dad made a fortune selling paper during and after the war. They don't do any of the things in your post. You're post is WAAAAYYYY too stereotypical. In fact, it applies more to the "new rich" than the old. And before the war Charlotte didn't really have any "old money" to speak of. Now Charleston did......but I digress. Eastover is where a lot of the oldest money is (Belk family, Harris family, etc. etc.)

I bet if we did a house-by-house search of Myers Park (or better yet Dilworth) you'd find that:
1. Most owners are surprisingly young
2. Work for the bank and work LOOONGGG hours
3. Are Yankees
4. Send their kids to either Latin, Country Day, or Providence Day.
5. Bought their house "from an old lady/man" and tore it down to erect a McMansion.

Another thing we'd find is that the "meal ticket" is a high paying job, and a ton of debt, rather than daddy's money. After that in this city it's all about keeping up with the Jones's's's. And a reason we're checking out....but I digress again...

I think God my in-laws are country people from High Point, and never let it corrupt them. They live in the same house they have since 1970 in Landsdowne. My 87 year old father in law remembers hunting squirrels at what is now SouthPark, and the "dirt road to Monroe" that went from Elizabeth all the way out (now Monroe Road). My wife and I used to feed horses in the farms by the Arboreteum, she used to ride from Landsdowne all the way to the Arboreteum along 2 lane providence road and never got bothered by traffic. All that's gone now. Them's are the old siren song days of the South. But nevermind, welcome to charlotte! We have a cheesecake factory!
 
Old 04-28-2008, 07:08 PM
 
755 posts, read 2,242,385 times
Reputation: 321
I would say your post is full of latent hostility, but it's not latent at all. I find your assessment of the "Old South" way way off - and quite ignorant.

Gentility, tradition, family, and graciousness are what the REAL Old South are all about - it's never really been about money at all.
 
Old 04-28-2008, 07:26 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,034,397 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I would say your post is full of latent hostility, but it's not latent at all. I find your assessment of the "Old South" way way off - and quite ignorant.

Gentility, tradition, family, and graciousness are what the REAL Old South are all about - it's never really been about money at all.
Dear me, Weedy. It was just for fun. Why don't you write about the Southerners you know? I could also write about 20 other profiles. This was just one.

I would enjoy reading what you had to say. And I won't refer to latent hostility, no matter what you might write.
 
Old 04-28-2008, 07:32 PM
 
2,783 posts, read 7,308,909 times
Reputation: 2796
Ani- Thank you for this wonderful post. We lived in Mississippi for many years and had the priviledge of experiencing much of what you describe.
One of my best memories is of our Matriarch (our adopted Nana) who decided to see what this new fangled flight to London was all about.
In the late 70's she flew from JFK to Heathrow (for the weekend) on the Concord. Upon her return, she announced, at dinner, that her trip was "Utterly Disappointing".
Apparently, the aircraft "jiggled all of the bubbles out of her champagne". She was 83 years old at the time and never flew on the Concord again. I loved that woman.
The one event that I always looked forward to was the Debutante Ball. The beautiful young women in their white gowns, gloves and pearls. Their, hand picked, escorts well behaved (with Mamas close by prodding them to stand straight and be attentive) and properly attired.
I know this tradition continues in parts of Mississippi.

Does Charlotte have a Debutante Ball?
Thanks again for the great reminders.
 
Old 04-28-2008, 07:36 PM
 
1,242 posts, read 3,662,896 times
Reputation: 199
Default Alf

I took over the Master closet..poor DH he has to use the office closet for his clothes!
 
Old 04-28-2008, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,275,017 times
Reputation: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I enjoyed this post too!!! My thing is furniture, I could spend all day looking and buying it!! Not the cheap stuff! OHH if I was truly rich the furniture I would buy!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah hah! The cheesecake hound in the Charlotte forum!!
 
Old 04-28-2008, 07:58 PM
 
807 posts, read 2,042,416 times
Reputation: 459
Ani, you seem to get yourself in trouble lately for no good reason. Much like my wife (who really enjoyed meeting you at GNO) I liked your story, please don't ever stop. Your story did strike up a memory of a conversation I had with my bother-in-law many years ago, long before the thought of moving here. He attended Wake Forest in the 80's and said he would have a difficult time dating anyone who had deep roots in the area. He couldn't put his finger on it but, described it as, you had to be a "certain type" and you had to "fit in". It was near impossible to get acceptance from the families. I guess it sort of fits in with your story as far as marrying from within a social groups. So it seem as if some of those traditions are still alive and have been passed down although not on the level it once was. Maybe this does or doesn't make sense to you but, if it does I would like to hear more. I enjoy hearing about the southern tradition and the history of the area.
 
Old 04-28-2008, 08:14 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,034,397 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottePA View Post
Funny post. Your description sounds more like the "Boston Brahmens (?)" than the folks I know. My wife's family moved here in 1942. Her dad made a fortune selling paper during and after the war. They don't do any of the things in your post. You're post is WAAAAYYYY too stereotypical. In fact, it applies more to the "new rich" than the old. And before the war Charlotte didn't really have any "old money" to speak of. Now Charleston did......but I digress. Eastover is where a lot of the oldest money is (Belk family, Harris family, etc. etc.)

I bet if we did a house-by-house search of Myers Park (or better yet Dilworth) you'd find that:
1. Most owners are surprisingly young
2. Work for the bank and work LOOONGGG hours
3. Are Yankees
4. Send their kids to either Latin, Country Day, or Providence Day.
5. Bought their house "from an old lady/man" and tore it down to erect a McMansion.

Another thing we'd find is that the "meal ticket" is a high paying job, and a ton of debt, rather than daddy's money. After that in this city it's all about keeping up with the Jones's's's. And a reason we're checking out....but I digress again...

I think God my in-laws are country people from High Point, and never let it corrupt them. They live in the same house they have since 1970 in Landsdowne. My 87 year old father in law remembers hunting squirrels at what is now SouthPark, and the "dirt road to Monroe" that went from Elizabeth all the way out (now Monroe Road). My wife and I used to feed horses in the farms by the Arboreteum, she used to ride from Landsdowne all the way to the Arboreteum along 2 lane providence road and never got bothered by traffic. All that's gone now. Them's are the old siren song days of the South. But nevermind, welcome to charlotte! We have a cheesecake factory!
Oh, most certainly it is a stereotype! But it got some conversation going - and that was what I was hoping for.

I especially enjoyed your reference to "keeping up w/ the Joneses" since that thread was what inspired this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top