Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:17 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,258,797 times

Advertisements

Okay. The thread on "keeping up w/ the Joneses" has inspired me to start a new thread on the Vanishing Old South.

First of all, most of our newcomers are simply not going to encounter much of the Old South. But perhaps for those of you who do . . . and walk away perplexed . . . I thought I would outline for you some of the customs, traditions and accepted practices of the few remaining Charlotteans who belong to a rather rarified group of Old Southerners.

Let's define what it means to be Old South in Charlotte. To begin with, this group has inherited wealth, Southern lineage and ties to the region that go back generations. To be sure, there simply aren't many of these families left here . . . and many of those who fit the category in the 1970s have either lost their money or the kids are relocated to some other burg somewhere else across the country. On top of that layer, you have the wanna-bes who came in the 70s or 80s, and adopted many of the habits of the "real" Old Southerners . . . and so to newcomers . . . the distinction b/n who is really "Old South" and who is really nouveau riche "wanna-be Old South" will be difficult to ascertain, Hee Hee. But here goes!!!!

Old Southerners (remember - we are talking about the monied here) live in Myers Park or adjoining areas. They belong to one of the Protestant churches, usually Presbyterian or Baptist. The over 70 crowd still drives Cadillacs and Lincolns, but have increasingly moved to Lexus - and Benzes (S-series) remains the favored "import." Occasionally, someone will have a Bentley . . . Jaguars used to be fairly common until they were bought out and no longer have the mystique of the 60s and 70s. Decorators "do" their homes, wh/ are filled w/ family antiques or "important pieces" acquired over a lifetime. Family members sit for portraits, as in oil paintings.

Month-long cruises (Cunard, Silversea, Orient being the favored lines) are common. Some have second or third homes in Portugal or Spain. A few have a place in the Caribbean. Once in a while you will find out someone has a flat in London (or maybe Kent) or a place somewhere in France. Most often, they will have a second home at Bald Head Island, Wrightsville Beach or Charleston - or a mountain home in Blowing Rock or Highlands-Cashiers. Some of them have live-in "help." And that is how their staff is referred to - as "help." Sometimes, this might be a round-the-clock nurse, depending on the health of the homeowner. Their decorator "does" their second and third home as well as their main home.

They belong to a Country Club and hold many of their affairs at the Club. They have the minister and his wife on their guest list of people who can charge to their account. They own at least one golf cart, wh/ has been customized.

The women attend trunk shows and order part of their custom tailored wardrobe every season. The rest of it may be bought out of town (NY, ATL) or when they are in Italy or France.

Many of the women are into gardening, as in serious gardening, and they may have even taken a horticultural course along the way. They may even be active members of a garden club, and are proficient w/ arranging flowers.

Some are part of the horsey crowd, but as they get older, it is usually the next generation who takes over that interest. Some may even have a horse farm (or be boarding horses) out of town. This crowd has friends in VA and spends time hob nobbing in that area w/ the horsey crowd.

Their kids don't usually attend school in CLT. They prep at military academies and other prep schools here and in Europe, as well.

Many are into charity work and have their favorite causes. Some sit on boards of not-for-profits and spend many hours annually working hard for those entities. In addition, they write out big checks and endow part of their estate to either their church or their alma mater . . . or sometimes . . . they donate money for a hospital or research center.

Proper dress is important to these people, as they consider it an embarrassment to be seen disheveled. The typical daily dress leans towards "Prep" - wh/ translates well to the golf course. Some of the men mow the lawn "for exercise," but they all have gardeners and landscapers who do the "heavy lifting."

You are not going to run into these people often, as their lives are very insular, even tho they would challenge this. They are active in their churches, eat at their country clubs several times a week (including Sunday buffet after church) and rarely eat out at restaurants in the CLT area. They usually have dual membership in clubs, w/ many of them belonging to a club either at the beach or mountains. They visit at each other's second homes, so most entertaining is done in homes or clubs rather in public venues.

If anyone wants to try to keep up w/ these "Joneses," it would take a whole lot of money. . . and since this group is so tight, it would be very hard to even break in socially with them. Physicians and their families are the most likely to break in w/ this group. Otherwise, if you are not related to someone who is a dear friend of someone else (college sorority sisters, for example) you just won't have an "in."

Last edited by brokensky; 04-28-2008 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: misspell

Old 04-28-2008, 11:27 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,241,603 times
It's all about weath!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:39 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,025,662 times
Default alf

I love reading these things..thanks for the post! very similiar to some other places we have lived!

I have to say though I attend trunk shows and get most of my clothes made each season..not wealthy just a clothes horse!!!!

I never understood why people have kids then send them off to boarding schools..the same goes for the upscale philly suburbs it just doesn't make any sense!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:42 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,241,603 times
I guess Iknow I don't fit in here and can't relate to them either. I do put my socks and shoes on the same way as them.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:14 PM

810 posts, read 2,286,604 times
from the wife,
hey ani,sounds like the "old" money in NJ as well. I love your post and can read post like that all day. Thanks for taking the time to write it...

Old 04-28-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
from the wife,
hey ani,sounds like the "old" money in NJ as well. I love your post and can read post like that all day. Thanks for taking the time to write it...
I was hoping someone would enjoy the post. So, you just made my day.

MJ: I bet a lot of us have attended a trunk show, so that is not a pretentious thing to do. (Hope I didn't sound like I thought that was not cool- I actually think it is very cool, Hee Hee). I guess my point was - we are not likely to see these women shopping at SouthPark Mall. If they do, they probably have someone deliver possible selections from Neiman's or Nordstrom's to their homes for private showings.

Also - I think you all make a very very good point. Although I have not lived in W. Palm Beach, for ex. . . . I suspect there are people who have lives like this there . . . and many other areas - such as those you all mentioned.

I had a friend who married into some serious money in Dallas . . . and they have a jet wh/ she uses to fly places to shop for the day. It is a lifestyle that I think many of us are fully aware of . . . but not one I am likely to actually have (unless I hit the lottery - and then I will take all my CD buddies on a shopping spree on my Jet - promise!!!!!)

Old 04-28-2008, 02:06 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,494,187 times
I enjoyed this post too!!! My thing is furniture, I could spend all day looking and buying it!! Not the cheap stuff! OHH if I was truly rich the furniture I would buy!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:10 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,704,038 times
Much like New Orleans' old-line society. They don't have quite as much money, but they all went to (private) school together, starting in pre-K, and they have all the friends they need. You may be very nice and interesting, but you don't understand the conversational references, which can date back decades, and so you never are accepted.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I enjoyed this post too!!! My thing is furniture, I could spend all day looking and buying it!! Not the cheap stuff! OHH if I was truly rich the furniture I would buy!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, don't I know! While I was in college, I started working in a furniture showroom part time. I got really really lucky. They let me buy the furniture at wholesale cost. Well, I couldn't afford it even at wholesale (college student - you know how that is). BUT - they would get returns and damaged furniture - and they would sell it to employees at pennies on the dollar! So I managed to pick up a few pieces - wh/ I still have!!! Now that was a job w/ benefits . . .

Old 04-28-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Much like New Orleans' old-line society. They don't have quite as much money, but they all went to (private) school together, starting in pre-K, and they have all the friends they need. You may be very nice and interesting, but you don't understand the conversational references, which can date back decades, and so you never are accepted.
Yes, in many ways - same type thing. Of course, I would think this would be true in the NE, as well - blue bloods who prepped together . . .

But the city thing - all growing up together - families being friends - many of those people in NO probably did the same as the people around here - families would vacation together as well as party together. And the kids often married others who were offspring of friends . . . so the circles remain very closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte