Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

Please note - we are in the tornado season. We are currently under a warning for Chester and York, SC, w/ the storm moving this way towards the CLT metro. Please be aware and know where to go in your home or business to stay safe if a tornado develops.

This is a warning, not a watch.

EDIT: add N. Union (SC) to that list

EDIT: UPDATE: 11:33: the tornado warning is now covering areas of S CLT metro, from Tega Cay, SE CLT, Matthews and Monroe. Damage has already occurred with this storm.

Last edited by brokensky; 04-28-2008 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 09:51 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,570 times
Are tornados frequent down there? I saw another post recently that Lincoln County had a tornado. I assume if you have a basement you would go down there for cover, correct? We are going to have a "crawl space" under our house. It will be about 7 feet high with concrete walls, dirt floor. Would this be the best place in case of a tornado. I don't currently live in an area where there are tornados so I just want to be sure what to do if this is a common occurrence down there.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Are tornados frequent down there? I saw another post recently that Lincoln County had a tornado. I assume if you have a basement you would go down there for cover, correct? We are going to have a "crawl space" under our house. It will be about 7 feet high with concrete walls, dirt floor. Would this be the best place in case of a tornado. I don't currently live in an area where there are tornados so I just want to be sure what to do if this is a common occurrence down there.
Hi, SSD!!! Actually, it is not that common of an occurrence. Of course, big thunderstorms are common everywhere . . . but tornadoes are fairly rare - at least - tornadoes that touch down and do major damage. There has been some damage w/ this system, but most of it so far reported has been more on the lines of power lines down and some mobile homes receiving damage. There may be tree limbs that fall.

Most people who live here really do not think that much about tornadoes since they are not often seen/experienced. And the tornadoes here are referred to as "Carolina tornadoes," as they are NOT like tornadoes in the midwest - they are not accompanied by a lot of noise as they are wrapped in rain. In the midwest, there is a wall cloud that forms as well as hail. We don't always get hail here, either.

As far as where to go . . . a crawl space works very well. Most of us do not have basements-we just go to an inner room (such as an interior bathroom).

Because people seem to be basically unaware of tornadoes here, I like to remind people to take notice of warnings here, as a tornado can occur in this region. Historically, the chances of one actually touching down and doing a lot of damage remains low.

Last edited by brokensky; 04-28-2008 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-28-2008, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the info Ani. Good to know.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:28 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,263,377 times
Why do the weathermen create a panic and put us in a panic mode. I removed all the lawn furniture only to have sprinkles. Sirens were going off here in Rock Hill.

Having lived in western new york during the blizard of 77 we had alot worse storms there as opposed to what I see here. Just my observation.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Why do the weathermen create a panic and put us in a panic mode. I removed all the lawn furniture only to have sprinkles. Sirens were going off here in Rock Hill.

Having lived in western new york during the blizard of 77 we had alot worse storms there as opposed to what I see here. Just my observation.
First of all, you are very fortunate to have sirens to go off. Most of this region does not have sirens.

Secondly, you must never have lived in the midwest or somewhere that gets hit w/ tornadoes, or you would be used to grabbing up outdoor furniture and sitting in your basement (or crawlspace, or bathroom) for sometimes hours at a stretch.

Before the advent of Doppler radar, we did not have warnings at all here (unless the National Weather Service or NOAA sent out a warning). In the past, we have had tornadoes cause damage in NC/SC, but again, they are not common. However, they can cause damage and warnings should be taken seriously.

I have seen the damage that a Cat 3,4 and 5 does. I would much rather be hunkered down and take precaution than risk getting caught in one of those. Cat 2 is not such a big deal, but can still wreak a lot of roof damage, downed power lines, shattered glass, tossed around lawn furniture, trees down, limbs, etc. We are not apt to get Cat 3 and higher, but it can (and has) happened. You should take the warnings very seriously and respond appropriately.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 AM

This is happening about every month now. My point is the weathermen are creating a tizzy or panic. Calm down folks.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,638 times
I would rather have the warning.. Coming from Texas... When it turned Green, we knew what to do. I have a closet in the center of my house I use. I think the ones around here the key is to get away from Windows. I am not sure getting in the crawl space would be that great?

Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post

Better to be safe then sorry. If we didn't get the warnings and something bad happend it would be much worse.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:51 AM

Missing my point here, glad about the warnings, however the weathermen are creating panic. Lets all run to the store and get bread and milk when there is 1" of snow coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte