Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 05:10 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times

Advertisements

I hope this venture produces the jobs and positive economic impact that the poobahs are hoping. Lotsa $$ being spent on this

http://www.salisburypost.com/area/286848174615068.php (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 05:15 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
its mostly the guys own money too! It should be good for that area. They need a change of luck after the last couple of years.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:51 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times
There was an update on this very project today in the N&O

www.newsobserver.com/104/story/477747.html (broken link)

Old 08-22-2006, 10:18 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02 View Post
There was an update on this very project today in the N&O

www.newsobserver.com/104/story/477747.html (broken link)

I heard on the news they are suppose to get some machine or medical type thing and they will be the first in the world to have it. They says many companies will come from all over to this bio-tech campus.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:19 AM

yes it is some sort of magnet that helps split dna. Its being made in Germany

Old 08-22-2006, 10:24 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times
My concern about this site is what is was suppose to do and what it is doing meaning, it was suppose to revive and the area and bring bag jobs to those who worked in textiles (pillowtex specifically) but it appears the jobs they bringing are for Master and Ph D levels - look at the machine to split the DNA, with these types of jobs, brings higher pay, higher cost of living so are the people that they intended to help, in the long term, will be pushed out of the area.

( I went back and read the article re the piece of equipment)

World-class resources will attract world-class scientists. is what Murdock states in this article, he is acutally buying a lot advance equipment which is suppose to help us all live longer lives.

A co in Winston-Salem is already noted to be moving there.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:
My concern about this site is what is was suppose to do and what it is doing meaning, it was suppose to revive and the area and bring bag jobs to those who worked in textiles (pillowtex specifically) but it appears the jobs they bringing are for Master and Ph D levels - look at the machine to split the DNA, with these types of jobs, brings higher pay, higher cost of living so are the people that they intended to help, in the long term, will be pushed out of the area.

I agree with this to some extent. However, it should also bring in Retail etc etc. Therefore while all the PHD's go to the biotech the more common folk if you will get to enjoy the other aspect of it.

Either way I hope it gives the folks of Kannapolis the boost they want/need.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:34 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times
Quote:
Oh for sure they are not helping those except to hand them a check and say get out. This area is going to go through a drastic change. I also heard the Kannapolis country club is building like 700 upscale homes around it plus hi-end townhomes and a huge up-scale retail center.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:24 AM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
I agree with this to some extent. However, it should also bring in Retail etc etc. Therefore while all the PHD's go to the biotech the more common folk if you will get to enjoy the other aspect of it.

Either way I hope it gives the folks of Kannapolis the boost they want/need.
Sure, it will mean lots of those high paying retail jobs for the former factory workers in Kannapolis. Then again, you will need lots of people to mow the lawns (I know in NC it is "cut the grass", but they will be mowing lawns now), of the wealthy Ph D's & executives. Oh, sorry that will go to the Mexicans.

This kind of development is better than nothing, but not a lot.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:35 AM

958 posts, read 2,620,500 times
Reminds me a little of when Verizon expanded in Wilmington a few years ago...promises galore of new jobs, but when it all shook out, about 80% of the new jobs went for existing Verizon workers who transferred down from New Jersey. Much ado about nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte