U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:04 PM

16 posts, read 35,507 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Charlotte. We LOVED the Ballantyne (sp?) area and in particular really liked the homes in the Ardrey subdivision. We have two young school age children so top public schools are
a priority for us. We are looking to spend about 550K on a new home or resale.

Would anyone like to comment on the pros/cons of living in South Charlotte vs living in Davidson/Cornelius or a Union County town like Weddington?

BTW, we currently live in NJ.

Thank you in advance for the advice/opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 02:49 PM

Default The Ardrey Subdivision

Hi Everyone,

Ok - so no one has replied to my original post....I guess I need to narrow down my question a bit. Here it goes: What is it like to live in the Ardrey subdivision that (I believe) is in Ballantyne?

Any, and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. We are considering buying there w/in the next year....

I researched Elon Park elementary, Community House middle school and Ardrey Kell high school - they all seem terrific to me. Currently these are the schools that the Ardrey neighborhood is zoned for.

I have already searched the existing threads and plenty agree that it is a beautiful neighborhood, but I was hoping to receive more information.

Thank you!!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:25 PM

168 posts, read 451,990 times
I cant comment on that particular neighborhood, but I have been in the Ballantyne area for several years now. I absolutely love it and it continues to get better all the time. I am actually building down in the Marvin area, just south of ballantyne. I don't think you will regret buying in this area.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:27 PM

Thank you! Care to comment on the three schools that I mentioned?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:39 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4Moving View Post
Hi Everyone,

Ok - so no one has replied to my original post....I guess I need to narrow down my question a bit. Here it goes: What is it like to live in the Ardrey subdivision that (I believe) is in Ballantyne?

Any, and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. We are considering buying there w/in the next year....

I researched Elon Park elementary, Community House middle school and Ardrey Kell high school - they all seem terrific to me. Currently these are the schools that the Ardrey neighborhood is zoned for.

I have already searched the existing threads and plenty agree that it is a beautiful neighborhood, but I was hoping to receive more information.

Thank you!!

You have zeroed in on some of the best schools in all of Charlotte My only concern is what part of town you will be working in? If you will be more north of the city you might want to go back to considering Davidson. But if you are working uptown or south then Ballantyne is a great place

Old 05-01-2008, 05:03 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,546,369 times
I agree, you may be able to better focus your search depending on where the workplace is. If all is equal, visit both locations and look at some homes and drive around in the different areas to help you decide.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:00 PM

Post Working From Home In Ballantyne?

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
I agree, you may be able to better focus your search depending on where the workplace is. If all is equal, visit both locations and look at some homes and drive around in the different areas to help you decide.

Yes - excellent point. Right now, my husband is in the unique situation of being able to work form home when he is not traveling throughout the US. That being said, if he were to leave his current employer he would most surely work in Uptown.

During our next visit, we will check out Davidson.

I am glad to hear the positive feedback about the schools in Ballantyne - thank you!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:14 PM

Default Do You Live In Ballantyne?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You have zeroed in on some of the best schools in all of Charlotte My only concern is what part of town you will be working in? If you will be more north of the city you might want to go back to considering Davidson. But if you are working uptown or south then Ballantyne is a great place
Do you currently live in Ballantyne? If so, how long have you lived there? Is crime a problem there? I've been coming across so many postings about the high crime rate in Charlotte......

Please see my post below about where my husband will be working. If I decide to return to work, in all likelihood I will teach math at one of the public schools....

Thank you for your opinion!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:19 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,707,956 times
Quote:
Yes - excellent point. Right now, my husband is in the unique situation of being able to work form home when he is not traveling throughout the US. That being said, if he were to leave his current employer he would most surely work in Uptown.

During our next visit, we will check out Davidson.

I am glad to hear the positive feedback about the schools in Ballantyne - thank you!

Davidson is absolutely AWESOME! So is Cornelius. You can't go wrong with either.

Balantyne area is nice too...but I would choose Davidson...right near Lake Norman!

GOOD LUCK!

Old 05-01-2008, 01:18 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Do you currently live in Ballantyne? If so, how long have you lived there? Is crime a problem there? I've been coming across so many postings about the high crime rate in Charlotte......

Please see my post below about where my husband will be working. If I decide to return to work, in all likelihood I will teach math at one of the public schools....

Thank you for your opinion!
I do not live in Ballantyne itself, but I do live in south Charlotte. As has been widely reported on a few threads here we have had a spike in crime all over the city - no area has been immune. For a while it seemed like only the nicest of nice expensive homes were being targeted. However, the two groups most responsible for those breakins have been arrested and things have settled down a little. There is a new police chief being hired shortly and many people have formed neighborhood watches or joined together to put pressure on the city officials to get things under control.

All that being said, you cannot live your life in fear - just like after 9-11 when we all had to eventually get back on planes, everyone here needs to live their lives without letting the fear of crime stop them from enjoying where they live. Being as proactive as possible (don't leave your garage door up all day, don't go shopping at midnight by yourself, lock your car in your driveway, etc... will go a long way toward keeping you and your property safe. This is a big city now with some big city crime, none of us like it, but some of that just comes with the territory. It is my opinion you would generally be VERY safe in Ballantyne. And again, schools in south Charlotte and Ballantyne are the best in the system at all levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or