U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 07:39 PM

70 posts, read 244,778 times

Advertisements

While researching schools in the Lake Norman area we came across this Powder Puff contest on the Lake Norman High School website. Does anyone see/feel this is WRONG??? Do you need to say your HIGH SCHOOL girls are beautiful and sexy? I wonder how their parents feel? I wonder if their parents even know their daughters are being described as beautiful and sexy? Or if any higher ups in the school even know its on their website. Is this how the school is run? Is this a priority? As parents of two girls we were bothered by this....................... Anyone else out there feel this way? Or are we to uptight in NY?

POWDERPUFF!!!
On Wednesday, April 23rd student council will be hosting the annual powderpuff game!!
It will be free of charge for all students and will be held in the football stadium after school starting at 4 o’clock!
Please come watch our girls play and witness the beautiful and sexy cheerleaders that will be there to cheer them on!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 07:49 PM

7,181 posts, read 11,199,119 times
Do you know what a Powderpuff game is? They're not calling the girls beautiful and sexy. They appear to be playfully using sarcasm to promote the event. Don't sweat it. Our DD goes to that school and we're not fretting over it.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:54 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,176,675 times
Stripes is right. Powderpuff cheerleaders are guys. I don't quite agree with the word sexy, but they are just being funny!

Old 04-28-2008, 08:02 PM

1,865 posts, read 4,784,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Do you know what a Powderpuff game is? They're not calling the girls beautiful and sexy. They appear to be playfully using sarcasm to promote the event. Don't sweat it. Our DD goes to that school and we're not fretting over it.
They do it at Mooresville HS too. I'm from NY & I never heard of a "Powder Puff" game until I moved to NC. The Cheerleaders are guys & the football players are girls. I hear it's alot of fun & yes, the school admin knows about it.

BxRosie

Old 04-28-2008, 08:08 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,914,755 times
Plenty of powderpuff games up north too!

here is just one from New Jersey:

Powderpuff girls football: boys do the cheerleading
A "Powderpuff football game" will be played on May 31 from 5:45 to 8:15 p.m. at Parsippany High School, 309 Baldwin Road, Parsippany, pitting the senior girls vs. the junior girls. Entertainment during halftime will include cheerleading by the senior and junior boys. Cost: $5 at the door.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:38 PM

To everyone who replied.

Egg on our faces!!! Thanks so much for letting us know what this powder puff game is.
Whew feel so much better.
Tracey

Old 04-29-2008, 12:16 PM

Stripes17,

So sorry again about my assumption about the powder puff games. But since you said your daughter goes to Lake Norman High School I had to ask. How is the school? We may be relocating. Would love to have your opinion.
Thanks,
Tracey

Old 04-29-2008, 12:20 PM

1,808 posts, read 5,859,278 times
Ha ha!

I remember the Powder Puff game at my high school in NJ (Morris Hills, not too far from Parsippany High mentioned by XcapefromNJ). I didn't play, as I'm a dainty flower (LOL) but I went and it was really a lot of fun.

I agree with jaynarie that maybe the word "sexy" shouldn't have been used, but I believe it was probably meant to be funny.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:00 PM

15 posts, read 33,812 times
Tracey,
That was pretty funny, but having move here years ago from Pittsburgh, I know the feeling of regional differences!!
I am a realtor Moderator cut: TOS Violation If you look on these sites you could get a long distance feel for some schools for now: www.iss.schoolwires.com (broken link), home, GreatSchools.net, ReDir
Moderator cut: TOS Violation

Last edited by autumngal; 04-29-2008 at 04:56 PM..

Old 04-29-2008, 06:20 PM

7,181 posts, read 11,199,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey Hull View Post
Stripes17,

So sorry again about my assumption about the powder puff games. But since you said your daughter goes to Lake Norman High School I had to ask. How is the school? We may be relocating. Would love to have your opinion.
Thanks,
Tracey
No problem on the powder puff term. I thought it was just due to unfamiliarity.

Either way, the school is pretty good. Our DD is a strong student and she is adjusting to the freedoms of HS over middle school. I can't complain specifically about anything at LNHS. We did let our DS withdraw from Lake Norman to complete 12th grade via home schooling. He's a good kid, just didn't see the need to sit in the classroom and do the work. Now we can keep an eye on his progress. His lowest final grade to date in home schooling is an 87. One topic of caution, word from the kids is that they do have a ready presence of drugs (weed to Rx's) available at LNHS. I'm sure every school does, but LNHS seems to have a reputation for it among the kids.

Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or