Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:32 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
We are still doing a heck of alot better than the rest of the country I like sun and sand, but go to the beach for it.
I am just tired of hearing comments from people NOT selling their homes saying how good they would do.I have not seen ONE person come on here saying "hey I put my house up a month ago and got my asking price..its NOT happenin. For people needing to sell a home right now, this is a serious , if not dire situation. I am not in that situation, but if I was, i would not take kindly to people spreading rose petals around saying how easy and vibrant the market is. Its nothing short of nightmarish right now. Even here.

Doom and gloom??? Sorry, REALITY.

It WILL get better soon enough, but right now it is as bad as it's ever been. I cannot imagine the pain of people in California or Florida...its sad really. Then again, buying a house is NOT an investment, its a PLACE TO LIVE. Some people got greedy and for them , no sorrow.

Thanks for letting me rant here, I just hate to see damn statistics come out when people here are suffering....ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 07:43 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,143 times
What do you mean buying a house is NOT an investment? It one of the biggest investments someone makes. What else would someone spend $200K+ on? I am not sure I understand where you are coming from.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
What do you mean buying a house is NOT an investment? It one of the biggest investments someone makes. What else would someone spend $200K+ on? I am not sure I understand where you are coming from.

Buying a home is a place to LIVE not an investment sorry. . You buy a car knowing it will depreciate with time. Homes are different for sure than a car as they should and do appreciate, but expecting to become rich on it? Not in my opinion.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:20 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Buying a home is a place to LIVE not an investment sorry. . You buy a car knowing it will depreciate with time. Homes are different for sure than a car as they should and do appreciate, but expecting to become rich on it? Not in my opinion.
Location determines that. My parents built a custon home in 1980 and spent about $390,000 and sold it in 2004 for $1.6M in Winston-Salem. How is that not an investment and a darn good return for their money?

Usually the bigest investment of someones life.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Location determines that. My parents built a custon home in 1980 and spent about $390,000 and sold it in 2004 for $1.6M in Winston-Salem. How is that not an investment and a darn good return for their money?

AGAIN...IF the home you live in makes you alot of money that is very cool. If you are going out trying to flip houses, that is NOT. There is a difference. Your parents bought a home to live in and it appreciated greatly. They still LIVED in it.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:27 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:

On average residential SFH's have averaged around 3-4% (or slightly above the historical inflation rate).

A home is a place to live but should not be counted on to fully finance their retirement.

You CAN get wealthy in Resi Real Estate if you know what your doing, however one's home is different and should not be counted to fully fund their nest egg.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:31 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I don't care what the numbers said, the housing gloom has hit here full force.
If you disregard 'the numbers' then on what basis are you declaring that the housing market is in the tank?

As for my house being a place to live vs. an investment...I expect it to be both!!
Like any investment we don't have all our eggs in one basket but I do expect the house to increase in value over time.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
On average residential SFH's have averaged around 3-4% (or slightly above the historical inflation rate).

A home is a place to live but should not be counted on to fully finance their retirement.

You CAN get wealthy in Resi Real Estate if you know what your doing, however one's home is different and should not be counted to fully fund their nest egg.
That wasn't to finance their retirement personally. They sold their home on Lake Norman about 5 years ago and that was part of their retirement.

But you are right...one should not depend on that for retirement in general!

My dad invested in Real Estate in the past and was blessed.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:52 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
That wasn't to finance their retirement personally. They sold their home on Lake Norman about 5 years ago and that was part of their retirement.

But you are right...one should not depend on that for retirement in general!

My dad invested in Real Estate in the past and was blessed.

I hear ya.....I give him credit....

I wish I had the cajones to invest in RE instead of trying to survive slaving for the man.....

Maybe in my next lifetime.....

Old 05-02-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I hear ya.....I give him credit....

I wish I had the cajones to invest in RE instead of trying to survive slaving for the man.....

Maybe in my next lifetime.....
Wish I did too. Personally I would have scarfed up some Uptown condo's years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: