U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:37 PM

158 posts, read 498,763 times

Advertisements

I found a reference to this place on charlottecultureguide.com - is it worth a visit? I am bringing my mom to Charlotte next week and she loves nature, so I'm trying to find places within a city limit to visit with her.

If anyone have any other places in mind - please make suggestions.

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 02:47 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,721,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazira View Post
I found a reference to this place on charlottecultureguide.com - is it worth a visit? I am bringing my mom to Charlotte next week and she loves nature, so I'm trying to find places within a city limit to visit with her.

thank you!
It might be a tad early...but McGill Rose Garden on N. Davidson St (just North of Uptown) is beautiful and smells superb. Not sure when roses start to bloom.

Be careful of the neighborhood around the McGill Rose Garden...after all it is in Optimist Park.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:51 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Quote:

thank you!
It is worth a visit when things are in bloom, check with them to see what they advise for your time frame. But also, give serious consideration to making the short drive to Gastonia for the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden - you will not regret it!

Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden

Old 04-29-2008, 02:56 PM

lovesMountains, is it possible to get there avoiding highways?

Really embarassing, but I am a new driver and trying to stay off highways for now.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
lovesMountains, is it possible to get there avoiding highways?

Really embarassing, but I am a new driver and trying to stay off highways for now.
Do you mean just interstates? Can you drive on a four lane road? If so, you can easily get there on Wilkinson Blvd

Old 04-29-2008, 03:02 PM

Four line meaning two lines in one direction and two in opposite? Yes, that is no problem at all. Only interstates scare me still.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Four line meaning two lines in one direction and two in opposite? Yes, that is no problem at all. Only interstates scare me still.
Use mapquest to map out a route from where you live. You can definitely get there without having to use the interstates

Old 04-29-2008, 03:27 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,792,336 times
Quote:

thank you!
It's a very nice place near South park mall and smack dab in the middle of an old neighborhood. If you can get to South Park mall without getting on the interstate, you can get there. It's small, but it is one of my favorite "free" things to do in Charlotte. The hours are limited though. We have been several times and you follow a mostly paved trail with a book describing certain things in the garden. IMO, definitely worth a visit. We take our time and it takes 60-90 minutes to walk through.

Wing Haven Gardens

Old 04-29-2008, 04:22 PM

1,907 posts, read 4,454,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It is worth a visit when things are in bloom, check with them to see what they advise for your time frame. But also, give serious consideration to making the short drive to Gastonia for the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden - you will not regret it!

Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden
I second this suggestion. We went about a month ago and it was lovely. The orchid conservatory was incredible and Im sure the grounds are much more alive than when I was there. As a matter of fact, I think I'll go back next week to see what's blooming. Thanks for reminding me Loves.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:54 PM

Everyone, thank you for answers! We will try to get to both Daniel Stowe and Wing Haven if weather and time permits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte