Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 01:19 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,600 times

Advertisements

My cousin got arrested for selling ecstacy in a club to an undercover cop about 5 years back. He sold 1 pill and got a mandatory 3 1/2 year sentence. He had never ever been in trouble before...not even a speeding ticket. I don't support drug usage...but that is ridiculous! He keep out of trouble and his nose clean while in jail and served the entire 3 1/2 years and did not get out 1 day early.

That would be like throwing someone in jail for marijuana...utterly ridiculous!!!!

Save room for car jackers, murderers, domestic violance...harsh crimes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 01:28 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
1 pill- 3.5 years?? Are you kidding me??? Boy I could tell you about my friend who got caught in Amsterdam with thousands of pills. Lets just say his family spent tens, if not a couple hundred thousand dollars trying to get him out.

Back to thread-Put these thugs to work doing community service. Pick up litter, fix roads, build new sidewalks, etc.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:41 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
My cousin got arrested for selling ecstacy in a club to an undercover cop about 5 years back. He sold 1 pill and got a mandatory 3 1/2 year sentence. He had never ever been in trouble before...not even a speeding ticket. I don't support drug usage...but that is ridiculous! He keep out of trouble and his nose clean while in jail and served the entire 3 1/2 years and did not get out 1 day early.

That would be like throwing someone in jail for marijuana...utterly ridiculous!!!!

Ecstasy is a Schedule 1 drug and by the law is the same as heroin. You are automatically charged with a class a or b finally for possesing any amount. But I agree, arrests and jail time are not the answer. When I lived between Buffalo/Niagara falls, if you got popped with any hard drug in Niagra County (Niagara Falls), they would offer you 6 months of shock camp.. and dsimiss the charges afterwards. Made quite a difference in many people I knew. It was basically similar to basic training but longer.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post

It is pretty outrageous that someone who commits MURDER would only serve a few more years than someone caught w/ some drugs.

I do not think people on drugs should be automatically thrown in jail. There are better ways to handle drug addiction. Now, a dealer - okay - I view that as a bid deal But a user? Not right. Jail is not where someone who has a drug problem should be - and even more ridiculous for recreational users. Unless someone is committing a crime while on drugs - I really think druggies should be put in special programs to help them w/ addiction issues.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:32 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Trash pick-up, window cleaning, mopping, floor polishing, etc. are all very good and reasonable ideas for people locked up. One person supervising 5 criminals cleaning a courthouse or jailhouse seems economical to me.

As said, it will cut some jobs, but it's time these criminals start to actually pay their debt to society instead of having us pay for them.

Make them moves rocks for all I care. I just want to see them doing something other than lounging around all day.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Trash pick-up, window cleaning, mopping, floor polishing, etc. are all very good and reasonable ideas for people locked up. One person supervising 5 criminals cleaning a courthouse or jailhouse seems economical to me.

As said, it will cut some jobs, but it's time these criminals start to actually pay their debt to society instead of having us pay for them.

Make them moves rocks for all I care. I just want to see them doing something other than lounging around all day.
Agree w/ your reasoning. Something worthwhile. Let them go serve food at the homeless shelters. Wash bed sheets at the Salvation Army. There has to be some way to put them to work while still being supervised. Stock food banks. Some prisons have gardens and the inmates get out and weed and hoe and pick the veggies. Violent criminals need to be supervised, yes. But chain 'em up and make 'em dig taters.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:46 PM

92 posts, read 373,675 times
Well, the prisoners are already doing this if you've seen them out on the highways in North Carolina. They also make our license plates and do some other work. I've seen them cleaning up 485 and other roads in the country. The problem is, you can't do this with people awaiting trial. It's illegal and immoral to make someone who hasn't been convicted of a crime labor without a fair wage. And even repeat offenders can't be punished twice for the same crime. So, it works for those convicted and serving sentences, but you can't do it for those in jail waiting on trial.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc0813 View Post
Well, the prisoners are already doing this if you've seen them out on the highways in North Carolina. They also make our license plates and do some other work. I've seen them cleaning up 485 and other roads in the country. The problem is, you can't do this with people awaiting trial. It's illegal and immoral to make someone who hasn't been convicted of a crime labor without a fair wage. And even repeat offenders can't be punished twice for the same crime. So, it works for those convicted and serving sentences, but you can't do it for those in jail waiting on trial.
Yes, I agree - we are all innocent until proven guilty. But since the bonds are set so low - it seems no one stays in jail but a matter of hours these days anyway. But yes, it would be wrong to put people to work who have not yet had a trial.

Perhaps my perception is wrong . . . but so many of these thugs who re-offend get back out on bail literally w/in hours of being incarcerated. That always surprises me, too, cause I thought a convicted felon had to be put on probation for xx amount of time after getting out of prison. So it seems to me, w/ these thugs re-offending, aren't they most likely violating their parole terms? So awaiting for trial or not . . . if they have violated their parole terms for a previous offense . . . seems they could be put to work. Violate parole = wash windows. I am no attorney but it sure seems like someone could work that out, LOL!!!

Old 05-01-2008, 01:06 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc0813 View Post
Well, the prisoners are already doing this if you've seen them out on the highways in North Carolina. They also make our license plates and do some other work. I've seen them cleaning up 485 and other roads in the country.
We passed by a group on convicts cleaning the roadside off an exit ramp one morning. They were taking a soda break and had many bags collected. Later, when we drove by again the bags of trash and the van were gone...but there was a pile of soda bottles lying in the grass!!!

I am glad some of these guys are out picking up trash but that is hardly the level of hard labor they need to be doing. It isn't anything that will benefit them after they have served their sentence. It is busy work at best. Still better than nothing...but not much better.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
We passed by a group on convicts cleaning the roadside off an exit ramp one morning. They were taking a soda break and had many bags collected. Later, when we drove by again the bags of trash and the van were gone...but there was a pile of soda bottles lying in the grass!!!

I am glad some of these guys are out picking up trash but that is hardly the level of hard labor they need to be doing. It isn't anything that will benefit them after they have served their sentence. It is busy work at best. Still better than nothing...but not much better.
They cleaned up the roadside - but then left they soda bottles????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte