U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Lake Norman: career opps, family support, financial services, work from home, big change

Old 04-30-2008, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,104 times

Advertisements

I'm a married SAHM of 2 boys. I'm having a horrible time making a decision about moving to Lake Norman. I would LOVE some advice!!

My husband is from NC (the mtns) and went to school at UNCC. I met him while I lived in Lake Norman in the late 90's for a couple of years. We moved back to my home town (suburb of KC) in 2000. We have since gotten married and had 2 kids. My husband has been wanting to move back to NC for a while and I too have some interest. I'm just having a hard time thinking of leaving my large family and going to an area that we have no family around. His parents would be a 2 hour drive away. Here we have a HUGE support system. But, we both love the location there, the weather, the demographics and also my husband feels more career opps down the road (he's in financial services). He can move there with his current company and position so we wouldn't be coming without employment. He would work from home but travel some. Our boys are very little and I worry about the day to day there. Here I see my mom and other family a few times a week. But we do have a few friends there and know the area pretty well. It's grown a ton since we've left but we visit from time to time.

I'm sorry for the long post but I'm hoping there might be other moms like me who have been in this situation. Is it worth it to move somewhere you want to be if you have to say goodbye to family to do so?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qandgsmom View Post
I'm a married SAHM of 2 boys. I'm having a horrible time making a decision about moving to Lake Norman. I would LOVE some advice!!

My husband is from NC (the mtns) and went to school at UNCC. I met him while I lived in Lake Norman in the late 90's for a couple of years. We moved back to my home town (suburb of KC) in 2000. We have since gotten married and had 2 kids. My husband has been wanting to move back to NC for a while and I too have some interest. I'm just having a hard time thinking of leaving my large family and going to an area that we have no family around. His parents would be a 2 hour drive away. Here we have a HUGE support system. But, we both love the location there, the weather, the demographics and also my husband feels more career opps down the road (he's in financial services). He can move there with his current company and position so we wouldn't be coming without employment. He would work from home but travel some. Our boys are very little and I worry about the day to day there. Here I see my mom and other family a few times a week. But we do have a few friends there and know the area pretty well. It's grown a ton since we've left but we visit from time to time.

I'm sorry for the long post but I'm hoping there might be other moms like me who have been in this situation. Is it worth it to move somewhere you want to be if you have to say goodbye to family to do so?

Hey, send one of favorite posters, Anifani, a direct message with your questions. I believe these are two areas she knows well and I'm sure she would give you loads of insight!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:22 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qandgsmom View Post

Feel free to write me w/ any questions - you are welcome to DM me w/ particulars. I am an NC native, like your hubby . . . don't know what part of the mtns. your DH is from, but I have spent a lot of time in Boone . . .and love our mountains. I moved to KCMO metro - I see you are in Shawnee - I was in Lenexa, LOL! I love the KC!!! Miss it! Go back at least once a year! Anything I can help you w/ - be glad to correspond.

This would be a big change simply b/c of missing family and your support system, and so for those reasons . . . I agree - this is a decision one must carefully consider. KC being landlocked - I missed our mtns and beaches here. So that would be a nice plus w/ moving to NC. Homes are going to be a bit more expensive and no basements (wh/ I really really miss) Sometimes you can find a basement but not often. For $300,000, you get more in JoCo, but you can get a really nice home here, too. I would suggest Huntersville and Mooresville to be near the lake, f that fits in w/ your DH's commute. Or you might like S. CLT but let me know the area were your H will be commuting b/f I suggest Union Co, Ft. Mill, Lake Wylie, etc. I also like Matthews, but again, depends on commute and price range for house.

Let me know if there are things in particular I can answer for you. Just realize - JoCo is a singular type situation . . . my kids said they thought the whole world was like JoCo and they had a shock when they left. The area is just extremely clean, great highway system, reasonable cost for housing and food . . .and yeah . . . blizzards in the winter and blazing hot days in the summer, LOL. But there are a lot of similarities as well. The one thing that would shock you is the amount of traffic and how it does not move at times. I go back to KCMO and unless I get stuck on I-35 at say - 67-75th w/ merging traffic . . . it is smooth sailing all the way. You will find driving here is NOT the same!!! KC metro has five six lanes each way - and sometimes here - it is 2 lanes when it should be five. So just realize - w/ the beautiful mountains and promximity to beach - there will be some differences. And I miss the Nelson-Atkins bigtime - used to go there on Fridays . . . and I miss the Plaza as well. But . . . there are great places here to enjoy, too. I would say - if your family loves being outdoors, they will love it about 200% better here!!! And you won't be shoveling snow.

Oh - to match up w/ shawnee mission school district, you will need to carefully choose where to move. The closest match would probably be Mooresville. Let me know how I can help.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:27 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Why Ani, so nice of you to show up just in time

I knew you would have a lot to say to this poster!

Old 05-01-2008, 04:52 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Why Ani, so nice of you to show up just in time

I knew you would have a lot to say to this poster!
Hey, Loves! Almost missed this post! I looked and saw KC, then passed it, then thought - surely they don't mean Kansas City?????

Shawnee is next to where I lived. Kind of like S. CLT and Pineville. All those towns run together - you can't really tell where one stops and another starts.

I have been homesick for Kansas the last few weeks! I think it is b/c I never had allergy problems there, LOL!!! I forgot to mention to Q&G that my allergies are worse here but heck - small trade off for this beautiful weather.

And would you believe - I have a neighbor who lived in the same town I did . . . and they did not really like it there - stayed b/c of work . . . moved to NC as a matter of preference and say they do not miss KS one bit. It is amazing how people can live in the same place and feel so differently about it. However, they LOVE it here.

My DH does not miss Kansas, either. Not that we dont think about our friends, of course. But all he can think about is the blizzards. You don't know a blizzard til you have been through a KS blizzard. Try 30 BELOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or