U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:17 PM

5 posts, read 28,414 times

Advertisements

Oh and about the last guy sorry bud it doesn't cost 3 dollars to fabricate . It will run from 9 dollars a square foot up to how ever much you want to spend just for materials. Then you figure in labor , Using a bridge saw takes about 3 hours to cut, cutting out a sink on a wizard machine takes about 45 minutes, routering takes about an hour, then you have to polish it. I don't care what anyone says a hand polish is much nicer than any machine polish I have seen. We have both and actually hand polish after to make sure it looks good . Polishing takes about three hours this is considering a well equipped shop with about 5 employees and tens of thousands in equipment. If not more, not to mention the cost of consumables and this isn't even getting into installation. If it was that easy to make money at it everyone would do it. Also consider the fact that if one piece is broken on a fragile custome hand selected stone the customer has to reselect and layout and any fabricator worth his you know what eats the cost. Sorry but if it was that cheap and easy I would own my own shop instead of working for someone else. As previously stated you get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 05:20 PM

Oh and one more small thing I have seen non english speaking installers do an amazing job installing granite. Going above and beyond what was expected just to please a homeowner. Good ethics go along ways not just race.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 11,512 times
reading some of these posts makes me LMAO (sorry)... I have to agree with gremcat.
Guys there is no point talking about a price per sq.ft - it all comes down to final price of finished product and clients satisfaction.

Lee, you keep saying we we we, who is we ?

"silicone seams" lol I have seen those.

Last edited by StoneXpert; 09-22-2009 at 12:08 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 11:46 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,868,299 times
Panda if it is the one I am thinking of has a showroom right there in Matthews on East Independance by the Hwy 51 junction. It is in the shopping center as Anna Linens (next door) Big Lots and various stores.

We went in there and liked it. We hadn't done it yet but when we do, we will use them. They have the product right there in various formats and is very honest.

Good Luck! Oh and they do small and big with no problem.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:48 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,868,299 times
And by honest, I realized that might sounds confusing, I meant that there is an all black granite there that the salesman told me had imperfections in the light. He showed it to me and said it was the stone itself and he wanted to warn us about it. I thought that was pretty neat for him to point that out.

I fell in love with the green pearl I think it was called, gorgeous!

Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,926,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
.... I meant that there is an all black granite there that the salesman told me had imperfections in the light.....
Would not one expect that granite would be imperfect? i.e. the Symmetrical Beauty of Asymmetry

Old 09-23-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Would not one expect that granite would be imperfect? i.e. the Symmetrical Beauty of Asymmetry
momtothree is saying that there are little pot marks in the surface which are usually visible at certain angles as light reflects

most slabs will have that, but not all

what is the name of that black granite ?

Old 09-25-2009, 04:55 PM

Guys I realize this thread is old . But heck I am not even in charlotte. I definetly agree ask about overall cost not just some square foot price. Also 39 dollars a square is average these days so don't be wowed. Just ask 2 things. Can you layout templates on the slab not just view it. This ensures they use a laser to template and it will be tight to the wall with consistent overhangs all around.Measure them you will see what I mean. Also ask if they will face polish their seam to make it inconspicous. Chances are they will go into how this voids a warranty or some other garbage. Folks think about it. How can you warranty a natural product? That would be like warrantying wood. Sure they can guess the sealer will hold up so many years but be realistic. If they won't polish there seam (if there is one ) they probably aren't established fabricator's. And I don't care who you are if it's good enough for your house it better be good enough for my house. Otherwise I am not an artisan I am a production worker churning out mass produced countertops. I just want to point out one more thing. I haven't plugged my company once.I don't even operate in Charlotte. I just stumbled on this thread and have had enough of this chinese stone peddling garbage installers ruining what should be a unique experience for anyone shopping for granite. There is alot of beautiful stone out there don't settle. And if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. Lastly, don't just choose some cheap granite because it's granite. Ask to go to the fabricator's wholesaler and select a custom stone. The difference in price is usually 500 - 1000 dollars ( 60 square average) and you get a hand selected unique stone you will enjoy. I always tell our customer's if you are going to live there awhile you should pick what you truley like and not what's cheapest. Believe me when I say when you look at all the color selections of natural stone you will be amazed. If you are looking for imperfections and variations in the stone you are looking at the wrong material. There are tons of man made quartz materials that have similar characteristics without variations if that is what you want. As is usually the case education on the matter is going to make all the difference in the world. There is a reason why even in this economy my company is growing and expanding. It says something about the quality of your work.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:58 PM

Oh and one more thing ( always one more thing). 3 million dollar home builders are the same as 300,000 dolar home builders. They want to sell you the cheapest product for the highest price. To them granite is granite. I was just teaching my 8 year old about perception and that's what it is. Just because someone puts granite in a 3 million dollar home doesn't mean his product is superior. He was just the lowest bidder.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremcat View Post
Oh and one more thing ( always one more thing). 3 million dollar home builders are the same as 300,000 dolar home builders. They want to sell you the cheapest product for the highest price. To them granite is granite. I was just teaching my 8 year old about perception and that's what it is. Just because someone puts granite in a 3 million dollar home doesn't mean his product is superior. He was just the lowest bidder.
its too late at 8 j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte