U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 11:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,412,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago2010 View Post
Thank you everyone for all info.

SunnyKayak, I don't why you are so defensive ?? Those comments are just what I saw and thoughts about Huntersville when I visited your town. If NC or Huntersville would like to change, to draw more businesses, to make the town better then they should take the responsibility and do something about it. If they don't want to change then that is fine. I just would like to say that this is the year 2008, not 1900 any more "change is part of life".

And even though people there don't want to change, they still need to fix the roads and put in some side walks for local people anyway.

Thanks,
CT
I am only replying to your post in which you act like no one is trying to do anything but they are trying to something but cannot do it without the funding to do everyone ideal dream of what should happen to the area.
And you try to complain why this city has not done anything when much larger longer establish cities like Louisville and Richmond have had the tax base and funding alot longer.
Should have this been planned in the 80's or 90's YES
But with a population around 3,000 it doesnt give the city much tax base to do projects when part of that is being used to build culverts, laying out gas, sewer lines to these new developments and other needs for the function of a home.
It takes alot of tax dollars when you are building a city from scratch.
I understand the history of the area and read what is proposed by the city in future but again it going to take up alot of the budget to get these projects going and they cannot be done at one time as result of limited budget.
The city is going to build new parks they already have that mapped out , same with new roads like the proposed Vance Road Extenstion that will provide another North South route that may be cutting right in middle of some homes off of Bud Henderson. The city plans to expand some Greenways like the Torrence Creek Greenway.

Here is a list of projects the city has been working on or has completed.

Richard Barry Memorial Park is Now Open to the Public (http://huntersville.org/news_0.asp?newsID=1236 - broken link)

Here is a copy of Huntersville Greenway and Bikeway Plan
http://www.huntersville.org/downloads/ParksRec/GW_10_07_2.pdf (broken link)
(warning it is a large pdf file)

On page 34 it lists roads that are a part of 2030 master plan for bikeways

On page 47 it lists as top projects for bikeways and greenways.
They have listed as groups on page 49 they list other groups and I am not sure if that means one will have more emphasis over the others.

1. Beatties Ford Road – between Hambright Road and Bud

Henderson Road.
2. Ranson Road – between Gilead Road and I-77.
3. Between Torrence Creek tributary number 2 Greenway and
]South Prong Clarke Creek Greenway.
4. Mt. Holly-Huntersville – between Alexanderana Road and S.Main Street
5. Old Statesville Road – between Alexanderana Road and Gilead
Road

Greenways

Greenway from Future County Park (West Huntersville)
connecting to Upper McDowell Creek Greenway
2. Middle branch of Torrence Creek between Torrence Creek
Greenway and North Mecklenburg Park
3. Torrence Creek tributary number 2 Greenway extension to
downtown and ending in South Prong of Clarke Creek Greenway
]4. Southern extension off of existing Torrence Creek Greenway
through Huntersville Business Park and connecting with bikeway on Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road
(currently identified as a tier 2 improvement).

5. South Prong Creek between Asbury Chapel Road and

Huntersville-Concord Road
On page 48 you will have to look at your monitor sideways but it has a map of the proposed city land designs

On page 49 and few pages afterwards it has other projects planned.
On page 88 it lists the costs of greenways and this was done about five years ago I believe so we know the price will probably double once they are in the works.

It easy for someone not living here to come to a city and say why dont this city has this or that but understanding where the city and county are coming from and are going gives you a different perspective.

I moved here around 2001 to take advantage of the real cheap home prices and watch the city grow. I was contracted to help in the finishing of the Barnes & Noble store at Birkdale and most of the other shops have not even open and Gilead was just a two lane road. There use to be this deadly s curve past McCoy road that was fun to watch during the ice storm of 2002 because you could just watch cars slide into each other . The old roadway is still there it looks like a bike path.
My home has gain about 60k in value and I am not sure if I will still be here in 2030 when the city is more fully established but is up to us residents to keep county goverment and city goverment on their toes on these projects.
Come here and enjoy what I like about the city is the feeling of everything is new and not run down and I feel like our ancestors when they discovered a new city and was a part of making it happen.
Travel to Denver NC and look at that city now and look at that city ten years from now and it will be on same level Huntersville is at now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
I love Huntersville. With that said, I wish some of the major roads were a little better. I would like to see them safer, a little more shoulder on Gilead/Bud Hendersen and Beatties Ford. I would also prefer to see a few more sidewalks, even in the neighborhoods. I know we only have one sided sidewalks, which is wierd to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post

I also have seen a big step up by local leadership to address it. They formed a comittee with Cornelous, Mooresville, Davidson and Huntersville to address it. Check out the Huntersville Herald. I am just hoping it works out, in the next couple years. So that its not just where they add new retail we get more roads.

3rd issue all related to Bike Lanes, Charlotte and its subs are so very UNBIKE friendly it's sad.

I have not been a fan of the housing projects along Bud Henderson mainly because I feel like they screwed up Gilead Road in that location.
I do see your point on sidewalks in that location but for some reason I feel like the city allow that developer to do what he wants.
It use to be S like curves around Gilead in that location then they gave part of that road to create Bud Henderson Rd and made Gilead a right turn off that road and even for a turn it is not smooth right turn you have to go about five mph to make that turn.
I addressed your third issue above it is in the Greenway Bikeway plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
No not Vermillion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post

Lets take Wynfield. Once you leave the entrance of that neighborhood where can you go? Can you walk up to Ranson Road or down to Cedarfield without taking a risk? They need to attach the neighborhoods via sidewalks.

It is in the Greenway Bikeway plan but I dont think Ill live here in 2030 the estimated completion date.

I would love to go from Torrence Creek Greenway to the one in Wynfield even though that boardwalk isnt easy for bikers or joggers.

The enjoyment of threads like this is because we are all experiencing a new city growing. God help us if we are still hanging around city data by 2030 it will be nice to reflect on this thread and say "Do You Remember When..."

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-02-2008 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 12:13 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,662,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

I have not been a fan of the housing projects along Bud Henderson mainly because I feel like they screwed up Gilead Road in that location.
I do see your point on sidewalks in that location but for some reason I feel like the city allow that developer to do what he wants.
It use to be S like curves around Gilead in that location then they gave part of that road to create Bud Henderson Rd and made Gilead a right turn off that road and even for a turn it is not smooth right turn you have to go about five mph to make that turn.
I addressed your third issue above it is in the Greenway Bikeway plan

[/LEFT]

Yes that colorful community is fun to look at, but that turn is crazy and driving off Bud Henderson at Night is tricky. I have friends that take gilead up and around to avoid it. I am hoping the new school doesn't snarl things up too bad. I have all these dreams for the area, would still love a couple small sops off Gilead and Beatties Ford too, something to I don't had to drive to 77 on Gilead or get on 73. But again, just my thoughts because I want a SONIC (reoccuring theme) there.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:25 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,472,627 times
There was a push back in the late 90's for a strip mall like shop between Cashion Road and Gilead road but all of the residents got together and raised a stink to stop it. I remember going to the town hall meeting with my parents and pointing fingers etc It is still just raw land today.....

Old 05-03-2008, 10:13 PM

162 posts, read 517,799 times
This reminds me of something I overheard recently in my city, which is finally widening our city's two lane highway into three each way. The highway really only runs between two cities, but the cities are large and getting larger so 2 lanes each way has been very congested for some time. Well of course the construction brought more congestion during the growing pains. Anyway, one day I overheard a woman saying to her friend, "Why didn't they just build it wider to begin with?" They went on with the subject about how didn't they just plan ahead, etc etc back in the day. Well that back in the day was 30 years ago when the population didn't have the money to support it, of course! Following that theory, why doesn't every city or metro area build freeways and highways 5 lanes wide right from the start? Growth is organic, and all things cannot be planned for, and even when the coming growth is anticipated and foreseen, still the money is not there to pay for a 4 lane highway when a 2 lane will do at the time. The city itself doesn't have the tax base and the state isn't about to allocate money for "coming" population growth.

Of course this is not to say that planning is not needed or expected, and I have no knowledge of Huntersville at all, but this just made me think of the growing pains that all cities seem to go through. Some cities definitely seem to plan better and/or play catch up quicker, but the issues remain that growth is difficult to plan for and even harder to pay for.

All that said, I'm glad to have read this discussion, and I'm still interested in checking out Huntersville when I visit NC.

PS SunnyKayak I'm going to break my monitor trying to kill that darn bug!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:10 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,934,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanPie View Post
This reminds me of something I overheard recently in my city, which is finally widening our city's two lane highway into three each way. The highway really only runs between two cities, but the cities are large and getting larger so 2 lanes each way has been very congested for some time. Well of course the construction brought more congestion during the growing pains. Anyway, one day I overheard a woman saying to her friend, "Why didn't they just build it wider to begin with?" They went on with the subject about how didn't they just plan ahead, etc etc back in the day. Well that back in the day was 30 years ago when the population didn't have the money to support it, of course! Following that theory, why doesn't every city or metro area build freeways and highways 5 lanes wide right from the start? Growth is organic, and all things cannot be planned for, and even when the coming growth is anticipated and foreseen, still the money is not there to pay for a 4 lane highway when a 2 lane will do at the time. The city itself doesn't have the tax base and the state isn't about to allocate money for "coming" population growth.

Of course this is not to say that planning is not needed or expected, and I have no knowledge of Huntersville at all, but this just made me think of the growing pains that all cities seem to go through. Some cities definitely seem to plan better and/or play catch up quicker, but the issues remain that growth is difficult to plan for and even harder to pay for.

All that said, I'm glad to have read this discussion, and I'm still interested in checking out Huntersville when I visit NC.

PS SunnyKayak I'm going to break my monitor trying to kill that darn bug!
Pecan - you GOT IT!!! That is exactly what happened here. I don't have the stats at my fingertips, but if you were to google Huntersville, NC and growth - you would find that H'ville has BOOMED over a very short period of time. The town had been chugging along just fine w/ its infrastructure wh/ accommodated its tax base. With growth comes challenges - and the entire metro area is being affected by both the growth and the challenges.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:50 PM

10 posts, read 20,487 times
Anifani,

I don't know much about Huntersville or any area around there (Davision? Mooreville?..), do you know why the area growing so fast? Because of the lake or because campanies move back there?

Thanks,
CT

Old 05-04-2008, 02:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,412,675 times
Incentives for developers.
Welcome to the Lake Norman Region

CHLT Lake Norman (broken link)
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 05-04-2008, 03:15 PM

9 posts, read 19,326 times
I moved here from Cleveland, Ohio back in July of 2004. I love Huntersville and it would take a truckload of people to get me to move back to Ohio.

That said, the area of Huntersville is totally different than the suburbs of Cleveland. At this point most of the city where I grew up hasn't changed much in 20 years. There might be a new subdivision here and there, but most of the land is built on. Most major roads have been built for the last 30 years and they have sidewalks, 5 lanes, and curbs.

Huntersville is totally different. In 1990, the population of Huntersville was about 3,000 people, today it is about 40,000 and its still growing (some predict at least 100,000 people by 2025). So of course we have some traffic problems, I know all too well, I live right off of 73 between 21 and 115. 73 will be expanded to 4 lanes at some point. The state is supposed to pay for it, but they don’t have the money. In North Carolina the state is responsible for about 90% of the roads. The city doesn't want to pay for something they aren't supposed to pay for. In the last year’s election, most of the new board members admitted the city should go to pay for the road, or it would hurt Huntersville.

Chicago to answer your question about growth here, think about it. There is great weather here, a beautiful lake, nice shopping, reasonable house prices, solid job growth. We also have so many headquarters of large companies here (BoA, Wachovia, Lowes, Family Dollar, Duke Power) to name a few. Most people that move here want to live in the suburbs (just like they are used to) and I believe most of Huntersville is full of people that have moved from some place else. All of my neighbors are not from NC originally. Most other suburbs of Charlotte are growing – Concord, Union County, Fort Mill, Rock Hill, Denver (in Lincoln county) to name a few.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:19 PM

12 posts, read 20,507 times
Smile Looking in huntersville area

My hubby and I are coming to North Carolina in October. Checking it out to move there. My daughter and her family live in the Mooresville area. But what i have been seeing on the computer apartment and townhouses are quiet high for rent. Does anyone one know were reasonable townhouses are in huntersville area. Didnt really want to pay over $750 a month for a 2 bedroom if we have to . Sure could use some help if anyone knows.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:11 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,472,627 times
$750 would be hard. You could get an apartment or maybe a condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or